Windows 10: Windows not asking me for log-in credentials when mapping network drive

Discus and support Windows not asking me for log-in credentials when mapping network drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have an annoying problem with accessing a drive attached to a router. Here's my set-up: 1. Windows 10 PC (SMB 1 installed) 2. Router with hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Deetree, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Deetree Win User

Windows not asking me for log-in credentials when mapping network drive

So I have an annoying problem with accessing a drive attached to a router. Here's my set-up:

1. Windows 10 PC (SMB 1 installed)

2. Router with hard drive attached

3. Nvidia Shield TV running a Plex Server

The only way my Windows machine can access the drive is if I have the SMB share on the router set to "allow guest access." If I don't have that setting on, Windows cannot map to it or access it. It doesn't show a credentials popup, so there's no place to enter login info.

This would be okay if the Nvidia shield could access the drive while it's in guest mode. It can't the only way Shield can access it, if I have guess access set to off on the router. But of course, if I do that, I can't map or access the drive on my Windows machine.

So you see my dilemma. The question is, how can I get Windows to show the login popup when I try to access the network drive.

Any thoughts/ideas?

PS:

* I've added the router's IP info to the Hosts file which got me as far as being able to access the drive at all (when set to guest access on the router)

:)

Deetree, Dec 29, 2018
  2. Allan Mej Win User

Saving credentials in network mapped drive

Hi Richard,

Credential Manager allows you to save and manage web and Windows credentials for circumstances like network drive mapping. If you have trouble logging in credentials every time you save/open/copy/edit files, kindly try these following methods:

Methods 1: Managing Credentials

• On the search box, search and open Credential Manager.
    • Click Windows Credentials and select Add a Windows Credential.
    • Fill in the required information and click OK.

Method 2: Allowing reconnection at log on.

• Open the File Explorer and select This PC.
    • Click Computer beside File tab on the upper-right corner and click Map network drive.
    • Browse to the drive that you want to remember your credentials and check
      Reconnect at sign-in.
    • Click Finish.

Note: If reconnect at sign-in does not work, try re-mapping the drive.

Also, if your PCs are not up-to-date, we recommend updating them because these issues may happen because of some bugs on Windows, and an updated PC may address this kind of issues.

Let us know how things go.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Dec 29, 2018
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    Windows Network Credentials

Hi Keith,

We suggest that you disable Credential Manager before mapping your Drives. Please follow these steps to disable Credential Manager:

• In the search box type “Services
    • Right click on “Services” and select “Run as Administrator
    • In the Services Window, look for Credential Manager Service and click “Stop”.
    • Restart the computer and go back the Credential Manager Service and set it to “Automatic”.
    • Restart the computer again.

Please keep us updated if you were able to map your drives.

Ryan Fra, Dec 29, 2018
  4. Windows not asking me for log-in credentials when mapping network drive

Mapped drive keeps on asking for credentials

do you have the same accounts on both the Surface and the other computer? it

sounds like one is a local account (the other computer) and you are logging in

with a Microsoft account on your Surface. See

Mapping a Network Drive on Your Windows 10 PC - dummies

Bottom line, un-map the drive (right clock, disconnect). Then make sure you are

using the same accounts on both the S3 and the computer. If necessary, add the

Microsoft Account to the other computer. Restart both computers and then map

again.

Barb Bowman, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

Windows not asking me for log-in credentials when mapping network drive

1. Windows not asking me for log-in credentials when mapping network drive - Similar Threads - asking log credentials

2. Windows remembers credentials for mapping network drives even when "Remember Credentials"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows remembers credentials for mapping network drives even when "Remember Credentials"...: There must be hundreds of posts complaining about Windows asking for credentials for various reasons: despite the fact that password protected sharing is turned off, for example.I am having the opposite problem. Windows is saving credentials for my network shares and...
  3. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used: I cannot get a third profile to map to a network drive on my laptop. Me, The administrator is mapped and working fine. 1 profileI created a new profile for my daughter and mapped the drive with no issues. 2nd profileI created a new profile for my son 3rd profile and when I...
  4. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used: I cannot get a third profile to map to a network drive on my laptop. Me, The administrator is mapped and working fine. 1 profileI created a new profile for my daughter and mapped the drive with no issues. 2nd profileI created a new profile for my son 3rd profile and when I...
  5. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Windows 11 to 10 map network drive credentials asking for email and pin not username and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 to 10 map network drive credentials asking for email and pin not username and...: New Windows 11 install moved from Dev.Windows 11 to 10 map network drive credentials asking for email and pin not username and password???I have remote desktop working so I am not sure any settings are wrong.But when adding a mapped drive the credentials only asked for pin...
  7. Windows 11 to 10 map network drive credentials asking for email and pin not username and...

Windows 11 to 10 map network drive credentials asking for email and pin not username and...: New Windows 11 install moved from Dev.Windows 11 to 10 map network drive credentials asking for email and pin not username and password???I have remote desktop working so I am not sure any settings are wrong.But when adding a mapped drive the credentials only asked for pin...
  8. backup to network drive asks for credentials

backup to network drive asks for credentials: I'm getting ready to create a system image of my wife's computer. I wish to put it on a logical drive partition on an external drive that is connected to my computer and shared through our home lan. We are both hardwired to the LAN through ethernet. I can access it from her...
  9. vanishing logon credentials and mapped network drives

vanishing logon credentials and mapped network drives: I have Dell Vostro desktop with Win10 Pro and Office Professional 2019. After each restart I have to remap all network drives using Synology software. Outlook 2019 logon credentials keep disappearing many times a day even though there duly saved during email account...
  10. Windows not asking me for log-in credentials when mapping network driv

Windows not asking me for log-in credentials when mapping network driv: So I have an annoying problem with accessing a drive attached to a router. Here's my set-up: 1. Windows 10 PC (SMB 1 installed) 2. Router with hard drive attached 3. Nvidia Shield TV running a Plex Server The only way my Windows machine can access the drive is if I have the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Pop up credential mapping drive not show

2. mapping network drive asking for certificate

3. Windows Map network drive asking for credentials

4. mapping a network drive is not asking for credentials,
  5. mapping network drive asking for network credentials,
  6. windows not asking for credrntials for network,
  7. mapping dl2100 drive asking for credential,
  8. unity windows not asking network access,
  9. dont have access to network drive but not asking for credentials,
  10. Why is it asking for Credentials login after 2018 fall update,
  11. map network drive not asking for credentials