Windows 10: Windows not booting up; blank screen with a blinking cursor

Discus and support Windows not booting up; blank screen with a blinking cursor in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was gaming past midnight one day and when my mother found that out, I had to force shut down my laptop before she snatched it away. After receiving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AshishApkari11, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Windows not booting up; blank screen with a blinking cursor

I was gaming past midnight one day and when my mother found that out, I had to force shut down my laptop before she snatched it away. After receiving it back after months, I’m unable to boot it up.

On pushing the power button I am greeted by the acer logo followed by a black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left. The laptop is stuck at this point, the cursor blinks indefinitely and no windows logo shows up. I’m no expert but, it could be something to do with the hard disk or a windows update:-

1 It has a single ssd; samsung 850 evo 250gb SATA

2 In retrospect I remembered that windows was scheduled for an update that day and force shutting it might’ve set it on this path. I am 95% sure it was scheduled to update, so do take it with a grain of salt.

I have tried using the reset button to no avail.

Force shutting it down more than thrice is not launching troubleshooter/recovery options.

Hoping to get a fix soon.

:)

AshishApkari11, Mar 26, 2020
  2. Steve1380 Win User

Blank Screen, Blinking Cursor

Windows 10 PC crashed, now have blank screen with blinking cursor in upper left, can't boot -- suggestions for how to connect, please?

Steve1380, Mar 26, 2020
  3. blank screen with blinking cursor at boot to win10

Upgraded to windows 10.

Everything worked great for a few weeks. Recently turned off the computer and can't boot to windows anymore. The computer gets stuck on blank screen with blinking cursor. Will not show any win 10 screens.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

andrewa_333, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Windows not booting up; blank screen with a blinking cursor

Windows 10 stuck on blank screen with mouse cursor at boot

Recently I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. Everything installed and worked great for few weeks. After 2 or 3 weeks I can't boot to Windows 10 anymore.

The computer goes thru initial boot and before showing any windows 10 screens (no blue window, no dots etc) gets stuck on blank screen with blinking mouse cursor.

Per Microsoft engineer who responded to my previous post, I created windows 10 ISO disk. Booted from the disk, got thru the blue windows logo and dancing dots to a "Windows Setup" box with 2 options:

• 1. Continue with the upgrade (I already upgraded successfully and everything worked for a while)

2. Perform a clean installation
    Continuing upgrade gets me back to blank screen with blinking cursor.

I didn't try option 2, clean installation, because I am afraid to loose all my programs etc.

I installed turbotax after upgrading to win 10, but I don't think turbotax is a problem. I have no problems at all after installing it on another win 10 computer.

Now I regret upgrading to windows 10. Windows 7 worked perfectly fine.

Any suggestions how to repair the windows 10?

Or is there a way to go back to windows 7 without full reinstall?

Thanks for any help

andrewa_333, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows not booting up; blank screen with a blinking cursor

1. Windows not booting up; blank screen with a blinking cursor - Similar Threads - booting blank screen

2. On boot there is a single blinking cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    On boot there is a single blinking cursor: Can't find a way to boot up. Installation USB stick doesn't work. Allowed priority boot for USB. Nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-boot-there-is-a-single-blinking-cursor/4b12adc0-b017-4445-8a5d-0cdeb3df033b
  3. On boot there is a single blinking cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    On boot there is a single blinking cursor: Can't find a way to boot up. Installation USB stick doesn't work. Allowed priority boot for USB. Nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-boot-there-is-a-single-blinking-cursor/4b12adc0-b017-4445-8a5d-0cdeb3df033b
  4. On boot there is a single blinking cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On boot there is a single blinking cursor: Can't find a way to boot up. Installation USB stick doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-boot-there-is-a-single-blinking-cursor/4b12adc0-b017-4445-8a5d-0cdeb3df033b
  5. Cursor blinking and screen stuck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor blinking and screen stuck: Mouse cursor blinking and screen get stuck......after pressing any key on keyboard the freezing stops on Asus tuf laptop runing on windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cursor-blinking-and-screen-stuck/943614c4-9329-4356-aacb-dc863367c9e5
  6. BSOD then blinking cursor on boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD then blinking cursor on boot: I was playing a game and then suddenly got a BSOD that said Hardware failure. Now it boots to the blinking cursor black screen. I can get into the bios and both SSD's are detected, along with all other Hardware. The only wierd thing was that my boot drive had changed...
  7. Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor

in Windows 10 News
    Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor: [ATTACH]When you boot a computer, and all it shows is a black or blank screen with a blinking cursor (it may look like an underscore), […] This article Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Blinking Cursor/Blinking underscore in boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blinking Cursor/Blinking underscore in boot: Hi Guys, I recently have a problem when i opened my PC. It started to show blinking underscore so i decided to push my restart button in my hardware and gladly it opened but the next day when i opened my pc, there is a blinking underscore present in the screen before logging...
  9. Blinking Cursor, Blinking underscore in boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blinking Cursor, Blinking underscore in boot: Hi Guys, I recently have a problem when i opened my PC. It started to show blinking underscore so i decided to push my restart button in my hardware and gladly it opened but the next day when i opened my pc, there is a blinking underscore present in the screen before logging...
  10. Screen blank at boot no cursor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen blank at boot no cursor: When I boot, I get a blank screen (w/o cursor). I tried booting into safe mode without success. Computer is Windows 10 originally. I tried using sfc command. Nothing found. Monitor is working. I removed ssd and replaced with another. I could only restore image with one two...