Windows 10: Windows not indexing the C drive

Discus and support Windows not indexing the C drive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So i was trying to figure out why the search feature on file explorer was broken.. Found out that windows was not indexing my C:/ drive at all Any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Dan1911, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Dan1911 Win User

Windows not indexing the C drive

So i was trying to figure out why the search feature on file explorer was broken..

Found out that windows was not indexing my C:/ drive at all

Any ideas how to fix this? i check it on my locations but does not seem to select it ...

Windows not indexing the C drive 1b1fefae-f30c-4087-9211-b0479796c9e7?upload=true.png

:)

Dan1911, Aug 29, 2020
  2. RockFoxx Win User

Windows 10 indexing selects wrong drive

I used a bootable CD containing
    EaseUS
    disk copier to clone the Win8.1 drive to a new HDD.

At your suggestion I tried changing the drive letter of the 8.1 disk from D: to I:. This did not fix the problem. When I select the C: drive to index it jumps to the I: drive and does not index any of the C: drive.

Again, I went into Device Manager and disabled to 2nd disk (the original 8.1) and that corrected the problem.

RockFoxx, Aug 29, 2020
  3. Drive missing from indexer search roots

While trying to investigate issues with files not being found by the search indexer, I have noticed that there seems to be an issue with a drive missing from the search roots. Some details that might be important:

• The compute has three internal drives:
      • OS Drive C:, SSD, all the usual system partitions
      • Data drive E:, HDD, two partitions (the other one doesn't need to be indexed)
      • Data drive D:, Storage space, one partition
    • In "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\CrawlScopeManager\Windows\SystemIndex\SearchRoots", only C:\ and D:\ are listed
    • The indexer diagnostics tool lists "file:///C:\" and "file:///E:\" under "Search roots", which contradicts the registry key
    • Under "What is being indexed?", the tool lists only paths starting with C:\ and E:\, where the paths starting with E:\ are on D:\ in reality. The same list for excluded paths appears in the Settings app under "Searching Windows"
    • The "Indexing options" dialog shows both folders on D:\ and E:\ as being indexed (when clicking on "Modify"). In the "Index these locations" view, no location from E:\ is actually listed
    • The search mode is set to "Classic"

What is going on here? Why is the Indexer diagnostics tool confusing D:\ and E:\? Why are locations from E:\ not appearing in the list of locations to index? Is there any way to add a drive to the search roots/let the indexer recreate them entirely?

Please let me know if any additional information is required

IMathe172I, Aug 29, 2020
  4. Dalmango Win User

Search Not Indexing Optical Drive

Thanks,

• When you mentioned D Drive, are you pertaining to a partition or a separate external drive? - D Drive = Solid State Drive; 1 of 2 internal drives (the other being an optical drive);
    • Were you able to check if indexing was already completed? - Indexing completed on each attempt of rectification;
    • In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter - Done prior to posting; useless! It does not find any problems.

Dalmango, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows not indexing the C drive - Similar Threads - indexing drive

2. Windows.edb constantly filling C drive despite repeated index rebuilds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows.edb constantly filling C drive despite repeated index rebuilds: The OS is W10Pro 22H2 build 19045.41232. While Sabya's helpful advice solves the issue for one day, a few days later the issue is back. How do I resolve this? In addition, Tree Size Free reports the 106GB HDD at 137GB capacity: While Win10 Settings shows different storage...
  3. Windows.edb constantly filling C drive despite repeated index rebuilds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows.edb constantly filling C drive despite repeated index rebuilds: The OS is W10Pro 22H2 build 19045.41232. While Sabya's helpful advice solves the issue for one day, a few days later the issue is back. How do I resolve this? In addition, Tree Size Free reports the 106GB HDD at 137GB capacity: While Win10 Settings shows different storage...
  4. Windows.edb constantly filling C drive despite repeated index rebuilds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Indexing and One Drive - reversing/backup/restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing and One Drive - reversing/backup/restore: Hi there,Indexation had been installed on PC and resulted in One Drive syncing problems and missing files etc. Essentially, on the PC, no file can be located; and a reasonable proportion of files on One Drive have been sent to the Recycle Bin. As a non tech person, I wanted...
  6. Indexing and One Drive - reversing/backup/restore

Indexing and One Drive - reversing/backup/restore: Hi there,Indexation had been installed on PC and resulted in One Drive syncing problems and missing files etc. Essentially, on the PC, no file can be located; and a reasonable proportion of files on One Drive have been sent to the Recycle Bin. As a non tech person, I wanted...
  7. Indexing does not index boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing does not index boot drive: I have a boot drive and a backup drive cloned from the boot drive for emergencies. Indexing only finds the backup drive, which is overwritten by the clone program's boot drive backup weekly. If I modify indexing settings to index only the C boot drive, the backup H drive is...
  8. Indexing does not index boot drive

Indexing does not index boot drive: I have a boot drive and a backup drive cloned from the boot drive for emergencies. Indexing only finds the backup drive, which is overwritten by the clone program's boot drive backup weekly. If I modify indexing settings to index only the C boot drive, the backup H drive is...
  9. Indexing does not index boot drive

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. How disable file indexing on a mapped drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How disable file indexing on a mapped drive?: When I disable indexing with the check box in properties of the mapped drive it enables again shortly after. How can I make it permanent? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-disable-file-indexing-on-a-mapped-drive/4eb897b2-aca4-433f-aad8-412917627f26