Windows 10: Windows not progressing past lock screen, keeps 'dropping' back down

Discus and support Windows not progressing past lock screen, keeps 'dropping' back down in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I've recently encountered a strange bug on startup of my PC where the computer would start up just fine, but when I go to sign-in from the lock screen,... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Kinnsicus, May 3, 2020.

1. Kinnsicus Win User

Windows not progressing past lock screen, keeps 'dropping' back down

I've recently encountered a strange bug on startup of my PC where the computer would start up just fine, but when I go to sign-in from the lock screen, the sign-in screen immediately goes away and the lock screen from before the one showing time and date reappears. I've tried running a repair USB and having it scan for errors through troubleshooting but still not results. I believe that it may be due to a partitioning error on the disk where Windows 10 is being stored as I recently installed a dual-boot for Linux Ubuntu which is working fine. My goal is to try and not have to reset the drive and have a fresh start as data was already stored on the disk before installing the dual-boot. Any advice is welcome.

:)

Kinnsicus, May 3, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Lock Screen keeps changing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Windows Spotlight picks the photos from Bing and displays them in the lock screen. I understand that you have set a picture and it is getting changed automatically.

I suggest you to follow the steps to select the Picture that you want to be displayed on the lock screen. Please follow the steps mentioned below to set a Picture to lock screen:

1. Press and hold Windows + I key on the keyboard to open settings.
    2. Click on Personalization.
    3. Click on Lock screen.
    4. Click on the drop down under Background and select
      Picture.
    5. Click on Browse and select the picture that you want to set.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 3, 2020
  3. Changing lock screen photos

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Personalization.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Lock screen.
    • In the right pane, select Pictures from the drop down list under
      Background.
    • Select the picture from the list or click on Browse to select your saved images and set as lock screen image.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 3, 2020
  4. Windows not progressing past lock screen, keeps 'dropping' back down

Lock screen background keep changing

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As per the description I understand your concern about lock screen background, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to personalize the lock screen and check if it helps:

Change your lock screen background:

• Right click on Desktop, click on Personalization, and on
      Lock screen in the left pane.
    • Here, under Background (click on the drop down arrow) you will see
      Windows spotlight, Picture, Slideshow.
    • Select Windows Spotlight, lock the screen (Press Windows key + L) and check if it helps.
    • Also, you can select Picture, Choose your picture, lock the screen and check if the issue persists.

For more information refer: Personalize your lock screen

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows not progressing past lock screen, keeps 'dropping' back down

1. Windows not progressing past lock screen, keeps 'dropping' back down - Similar Threads - progressing past lock

2. Can't get past lock screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get past lock screen: I have put in the correct pin for my PC and then it shows that it is loading the home screen and doesn't advance. It just stays loading and never changes. I have restarted the PC several times and nothing seems to work....
  3. strange locked down windows screen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    strange locked down windows screen: I logged into my computer today and it would not log on. It instead gave me an all blue background screen with the official "windows" logo that stated:" your computer has been locked down due to a Trojan virus. " followed by a list of warnings like : "all your info is at...
  4. strange locked down windows screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    strange locked down windows screen: I logged into my computer today and it would not log on. It instead gave me an all blue background screen with the official "windows" logo that stated:" your computer has been locked down due to a Trojan virus. " followed by a list of warnings like : "all your info is at...
  5. strange locked down windows screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can't get past lock screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get past lock screen: Hi there- I can't log into my HP Windows 10 laptop, I haven't used it in a long time and can't find the password. I don't have the recovery disk it's asking for so what do I do now? When I turn it on it comes up with my User ID populated prompting me for the password. Thanks...
  7. Can't get past lock screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't get past lock screen: Hi there- I can't log into my HP Windows 10 laptop, I haven't used it in a long time and can't find the password. I don't have the recovery disk it's asking for so what do I do now? When I turn it on it comes up with my User ID populated prompting me for the password. Thanks...
  8. Lock down screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock down screen: So for my commuter I wanted to have a badass lock down screen with my own custom pictures that I put into a folder in the pictures section. For some reason I took some lame pictures about a year ago not even putting them in the lock screen thing and for some messed up reason...
  9. Lock screen keeps changing itself back to Picture

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock screen keeps changing itself back to Picture: I like Windows Spotlight and I'd like to keep using it, but since some days ago my lock screen has a completely black background (no image, I suppose), and the lock screen is set to Picture. When I change it to Windows Spotlight and come back, it changed itself to Picture...
  10. Getting the "recording devices" drop-down back?

in Windows 10 Support
    Getting the "recording devices" drop-down back?: Since the win10 forums doesn't have a sound/audio sub-forum, I guess this is the spot. So I've got the old volume mixer back, but it does not have the drop-down for inputs? With 4 various inputs now being forced drill down to the speaker cpl every time you want to set...