Windows 10: Windows not recognizing audio source when activating output to TV

Discus and support Windows not recognizing audio source when activating output to TV in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have an issue where I need to do a lot of annoying workarounds to get Windows to recognize the audio output on my TV when I activate the screen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TempNameSuperstar, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Windows not recognizing audio source when activating output to TV

I have an issue where I need to do a lot of annoying workarounds to get Windows to recognize the audio output on my TV when I activate the screen.

I'm using a RTX 2060 with 4 outputs 3 D-Port and 1 HDMI and I regularly have 3 screens connected and active in the D-Ports. To the HDMI output I have connected my TV and because it's in another room I just have the screen deactivated so that I can just activate it in Windows when I want to use it. The issue is that with this set-up, Windows for some reason don't recognize it as an output for sound.

The workaround is that to get it to work I first need to disconnect all other screens physically and then pull out the HDMI cable from the TV and plug it back in again. I specifically have to unplug it from the TV because if I unplug it from the computer and plug it back in it won't work. After I do this the sound output to the TV appears in the list of audio devices.

This whole ordeal is of course very annoying and I would prefer if I could just activate the screen and be done with it. Is there some fix to this?

:)

TempNameSuperstar, Mar 26, 2021
  2. Rose Cal Win User

HDMI audio output to Sony TV

Hi,

One possible reason why your HDMI audio output was not working due to outdated drivers. To isolate your issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Did you get any error messages when you tried to connect your computer to your TV?
    • Have you tried updating your HDMI audio driver?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Mar 26, 2021
  3. Audio problems on TV output

So, mostly I use my computer with headphones, I have an evga rtx2070 connected to a desktop monitor that is set as my primary display. I also have it connected to my living room tv. I have no problems using my wireless headphones on the computer, but when
    I want to put on content through the TV, the video connects fine, however It wont switch the audio over. If I restart the computer it seems to work, but when the PC goes to sleep or I switch sources on the TV the audio is once again muted. It shows audio going
    from the pc to the TV and I get the menu sounds from the TV. If I run it through the troubleshooter it comes back, but it takes a few times. Obviously this or restarting the computer is not an ideal senario. It seems as though the audio is working, but the
    video card is not wanting to output the audio to the TV without a redetection. Has anyone had this issue? does anyone have a solution?

VancouverDean, Mar 26, 2021
  4. Windows not recognizing audio source when activating output to TV

HDMI audio disappears after TV power off or change source

Ever since I updated to Windows 10, I've been having this issue.
    On computer start up with the TV on and set to the computer source, it works fine. As soon as we switch the TV source or turn the TV off we lose the audio when we go back to the computer source. The Philips TV I use as my monitor disappears from the available sound sources, and I have a red x in the volume setting on the task bar.
    Rebooting the computer is the only way I've found to bring the sound back.
    This is the exact same computer and TV I used with no issues for over a year before upgrading to Windows 10.

I have installed the latest realtek audio driver listed on this site. I have used the ACER care centre to look for updates, but it says there are none. I've also tried switch out from the realtek to the standard windows driver, but nothing has solved the problem.

I have an ACER XC-605 media PC.
    Operating system : ,Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Processor : ,Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Memory : ,6GB
    Graphics device : ,Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
    Audio device 1 : ,Intel(R) Display Audio
    Audio device 2 : ,Realtek High Definition Audio

Any suggestions?

EmileBeaulieu, Mar 26, 2021
Thema:

Windows not recognizing audio source when activating output to TV

1. Windows not recognizing audio source when activating output to TV - Similar Threads - recognizing audio source

2. When I add an audio output source, Windows starts switching outputs until newly added...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I add an audio output source, Windows starts switching outputs until newly added...: I have had this issue with my Corsair headset and thought it was an issue exclusive to the headset, when I would remove the USB stick and reinsert it, my Windows 11 audio output would start constantly switching between outputs until it was disconnected.Now, I am learning this...
  3. When I add an audio output source, Windows starts switching outputs until newly added...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I add an audio output source, Windows starts switching outputs until newly added...: I have had this issue with my Corsair headset and thought it was an issue exclusive to the headset, when I would remove the USB stick and reinsert it, my Windows 11 audio output would start constantly switching between outputs until it was disconnected.Now, I am learning this...
  4. Windows isn't recognizing my tv as an audio device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows isn't recognizing my tv as an audio device.: I am trying to connect my Windows 11 laptop to a TV. The display is working fine but the audio isn't working at all. The HDMI cable and TV work perfectly with other laptops. My Laptop also won't recognize any other HDMI device. My laptop does not recognize my TV as an audio...
  5. Windows isn't recognizing my tv as an audio device.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows isn't recognizing my tv as an audio device.: I am trying to connect my Windows 11 laptop to a TV. The display is working fine but the audio isn't working at all. The HDMI cable and TV work perfectly with other laptops. My Laptop also won't recognize any other HDMI device. My laptop does not recognize my TV as an audio...
  6. Windows does not recognize TV output devide sound when connected with HDMI, but Ubuntu does

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows does not recognize TV output devide sound when connected with HDMI, but Ubuntu does: Hello,I dual booted my laptop HP Zbook Studio G5 with Ubuntu. Everything works fine, except when I plugged in the hdmi from the TV into the laptop to watch something, I could not select the output device to be the TV as it did not appear anywhere. It does not seem to...
  7. Windows can't recognize my headphone as an audio output

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows can't recognize my headphone as an audio output: Dear Microsoft community,I'm having an issue with audio output. when I plug my headphone into the audio output jack port, nothing happens and windows continue to work on the Speaker. I don't know what would cause this problem to happen, but it doesn't work until I reboot the...
  8. Can't select 5.1 audio when outputting to Samsung TV

Can't select 5.1 audio when outputting to Samsung TV: So i'm playing movies out of my Windows 10 laptop to a Samsung TV, then taking the audio from there to my Atmos enabled Pioneer amp with digital optical. Problem is the laptop sees the Samsung TV and only outputs Stereo, 5.1 outputs are greyed out. I cannot force it to...
  9. Audio problems on TV output

Audio problems on TV output: So, mostly I use my computer with headphones, I have an evga rtx2070 connected to a desktop monitor that is set as my primary display. I also have it connected to my living room tv. I have no problems using my wireless headphones on the computer, but when I want to put on...
  10. soundcard audio output not recognized

in Windows 10 Support
    soundcard audio output not recognized: my audio from back of my desktop wont appear on my playback device selector. if i plug headphones to my front panel 3.5 jack it does appear as a selectable device, and there is no issues in the device manager audio tab. so i guess its nothing wrong with the integrated sound...