Windows 10: Windows not recognizing External ssd

Discus and support Windows not recognizing External ssd in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [IMG]Hi there, my hp laptop is not working after an update, and Its going to automatic repair loop. So, I removed ssd hard drive. Im using ssd to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Narg-, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Narg- Win User

Windows not recognizing External ssd

Windows not recognizing  External ssd [​IMG]Hi there,

my hp laptop is not working after an update, and Its going to automatic repair loop.

So, I removed ssd hard drive. Im using ssd to usb 3.0 enclouser to connect it to another laptop.

but the new laptop cant recognize it.

its not even showing up in the device management.

Tested in 2 laptops with windows 10 and They do not recognize

what should i do?

:)

Narg-, Apr 8, 2021
  2. JonOff Win User

External SSD not recognized as SSD in Windows 10

Hello community!

(this topic applies to Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 equally)

my question concerns an external 240GB SSD drive connected to my laptop via an USB 3.0 port. The SSD works fine, but when using the "Optimize Drives" utility, the drive is listed as "Hard Disk Drive" under media type. As stated by almost all SSD manufacturers,
    standard defragmentation on a SSD can actually harm the SSD and over time reduce performance and life-cycle. A test revealed that the optimization for the external SSD is actually performed like on a regular HDD and the TRIM command is not used. This would
    also indicate that the regular TRIM commands issued by Windows are not applied to the external SSD drive either. Short of turning off automatic optimization, is there a way to tell Windows that this is an SSD drive and to treat it as such (regardless of
    the information provided by the disk- or case-controller) ?

See also picture attached -

Drive C: is a SanDisk SDSSDXP480GR131 SSD drive built in the laptop and recognized properly as an SSD.

Drive F: is Lite-On LMT-256M6M SSD drive attached via one of the USB3.0 ports and classified as regular HDD.

Windows not recognizing  External ssd 4fe8f444-305d-4198-837c-34fbdc8e50d7.png

JonOff, Apr 8, 2021
  3. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to External SSD showing as HDD when connected to the PC using USB 3.0 port. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Have you tried connecting the SSD to any other PC?
    2. Are you using any converter to connect the SSD through USB 3.0 port?
    3. Are you using a RAID configuration?

I have researched on your query and found that the SSD that you are using is an internal SSD drive, in this case I would suggest you to try updating the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from the

intel website
    and see if that helps.

In addition, this issue can occur if the SSD is connected to a SATA controller that is identified as RAID (SCSI). I would suggest you to try connecting the SSD to a SATA port that uses AHCI controller such as Intel SATA controller/chipset.

Please get back to us with the detailed information to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Windows not recognizing External ssd

Windows 10 not recognizing SSD in external drive docking station

I just purchased a WD Blue SSD to replace an existing HDD as the primary drive in my laptop. I have a Nekteck external drive docking station that I am trying to use to clone the primary drive. When I insert the SSD it is not recognized as a drive. If
    I view Devices I can see the dock and I can see that it recognizes the WD drive is in the doc and says the device is working properly. However I cannot get the OS to recognize it as a drive in file manager. It does recognize one of my other HDD drives just
    fine. I appreciate any suggestions.

Chris Szy22, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

Windows not recognizing External ssd

1. Windows not recognizing External ssd - Similar Threads - recognizing External ssd

2. External USB3.0 SSD recognized as USB2.1 with slow speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB3.0 SSD recognized as USB2.1 with slow speed: Good day.I got:MSI LaptopWindows 10 Pro 22H2USB Ugreen SSD case + 1 TB SSDSSD was recognized as USB2.0 from the very first time I connect it to laptop, but I learn somewhere trick with reboot in safe mode and it only thing works in my case, From time to time actually 2 times...
  3. External USB3.0 SSD recognized as USB2.1 with slow speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB3.0 SSD recognized as USB2.1 with slow speed: Good day.I got:MSI LaptopWindows 10 Pro 22H2USB Ugreen SSD case + 1 TB SSDSSD was recognized as USB2.0 from the very first time I connect it to laptop, but I learn somewhere trick with reboot in safe mode and it only thing works in my case, From time to time actually 2 times...
  4. External USB3.0 SSD recognized as USB2.1 with slow speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. SSD Not recognized.

SSD Not recognized.: HP Notebook 15-ef0025wm. My SSD with Windows 10 crashed on my PC. I've replaced it with a new one, but Bios uefi doesn't see it. I got the bios firmware updated with the help of a USB. The SSD driver file is however an .exe file, by hp and could only be launched on an already...
  6. Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized: I have a Verbatim Vx500 external drive that worked fine with Windows 10. But when I plug it in after upgrading to Windows 11 it usually shows as Drive d: in "My Devices and Drives", but greyed out, and when I try to access it says "Please insert a disc in drive d:". Also it...
  7. Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized

Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized: I have a Verbatim Vx500 external drive that worked fine with Windows 10. But when I plug it in after upgrading to Windows 11 it usually shows as Drive d: in "My Devices and Drives", but greyed out, and when I try to access it says "Please insert a disc in drive d:". Also it...
  8. Windows cannot recognize and access external ssd disk

Windows cannot recognize and access external ssd disk: Hello, Windows cannot recognize the disk, writes that it does not have access to it and does not appear in the disk manager. However, the external drive is recognized by another Windows computer and is operating normally. Therefore, the problem is somewhere in my computer or...
  9. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10: As already someone asked years ago (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-not-recognized-as-ssd-in-windows-10/70716cb4-34a8-475c-8267-c4a5669beeeb) without any positive fix, I'm here to do the same question again. Why my windows 10 pro x64...
  10. Windows 10 Not Recognizing SSD's When In External Drive Bays

Windows 10 Not Recognizing SSD's When In External Drive Bays: I have purchased several SSD drives that I am cloning to upgarde current systems. I am using a USB 3.0 Drive enclosure that recognizes standard SATA drives but not the SSD. When I attach the same enclosure on a Windows 7 machine it sees the drive right away and assigns it a...