Windows 10: Windows not saving passwords over a reboot

Discus and support Windows not saving passwords over a reboot in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This is a problem I've had for several months now. Running a browser under Windows 10 prompts for saving passwords which I complete & accept, they... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by peter.cruickshank, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Windows not saving passwords over a reboot

This is a problem I've had for several months now.

Running a browser under Windows 10 prompts for saving passwords which I complete & accept, they appear correctly in credential manager as Web passwords but do not always auto fill in when I return to those sites in another Windows 10 session.

I've tried this with Edge, IE 11 and Chrome all suffer from the same defect.

Also to further investigate I went to a web site I know asks for username/password which was already in credential manager's list using Google Chrome. It prompted me for a username/password without filling it in. I logged & and allowed it to save my credentials AGAIN and then logged out and closed the browser. On revisiting the page in a new session using Chrome it remembered/autofilled the username/password. In the same windows session I tried the same with IE 11 and if completed the credentials correctly too. On restarting the PC it was back to square one asking to enter username/password with blank fields.

So it seems credentials are stored in credential manager but not available to browsers for auto filling in if not in the same windows session. Or its caches elsewhere during the windows session and that is used, not the entry that appears in credential manager.

Note credential manager correctly shows the username & password before and after restarting Windows.

Possibly related to this there is an similar password problem with Outlook under Office Professional Plus 2013.

I start windows & then Outlook & get prompted for passwords for all of my email accounts various service providers / email server types incl an Outlook.com account.

If I complete them then its ok for the remainder of the Windows session even if I restart Outlook.

However if I do not provide the passwords & close Outlook cancelling the prompts - not completing them. Then wait about 10 mins & try again - It works & passwords are ok without the need to type them in.

Alternatively if I just start windows & do nothing with Outlook for about 10-15 mins then it starts fine without prompting for passwords.

Clearly there's some process which runs after approx 10 mins or takes that long to complete before passwords for email accounts are accessible to Outlook. I've looked for it by monitoring the running processes / checking delayed starting services etc. and cant find it. Could this be some semaphore lock that prevents Outlook getting the password details immediately so gives up and prompts the user for one?

I suspect both these complex sequences sorry for that are related although the first one doesn't seem to fix itself after 10 mins.

BTW please, no suggestions to rebuild the PC, re-install Office etc. as I've tried all that. Also Windows update is bang up to date including Septembers 2020's 2nd Tuesday of month update.

Peter

:)

peter.cruickshank, Sep 12, 2020
  2. Pyeti Win User

Help getting password from firefox

There's a program called System info for windows (just google siw) and there is a section that lists all your saved passwords across all programs in windows

Pyeti, Sep 12, 2020
  3. Namslas90 Win User
    admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Sep 12, 2020
  4. Corrosion Win User

Windows not saving passwords over a reboot

Help getting password from firefox

Im trying it right now.

Corrosion, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows not saving passwords over a reboot

1. Windows not saving passwords over a reboot - Similar Threads - saving passwords reboot

2. saved passwords

in Windows 10 Gaming
    saved passwords: how do I find my saved passwords https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saved-passwords/43c13393-81b2-45d8-84a5-c8c7e5c1608d
  3. saved passwords

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    saved passwords: how do I find my saved passwords https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saved-passwords/43c13393-81b2-45d8-84a5-c8c7e5c1608d
  4. Saving passwords

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving passwords: Until recently. I was able to save and store passwords necessary to access websites I visit on a regular basis. A pop-up window would appear and I would confirm my wish to save and store the password. Not only does this pop-up window no longer appear on my screen, but I now...
  5. Saved passwords

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saved passwords: How do I find saved passwords on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saved-passwords/6d8f2779-9ee6-4830-840b-faf52b6e1264
  6. Saved Passwords

Saved Passwords: How do I edit/delete individual saved passwords in the latest July 2020 Windows 10/ Edge? I have several incorrect or superseded passwords to remove, which are a distraction on login, but don't want to delete the rest. The advice that I can find does not seem to apply any...
  7. saved passwords

saved passwords: how do edit the stored password that are on my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saved-passwords/fb956883-500a-460d-8ced-c00f30c6d466
  8. New PC, can I copy over saved passwords?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    New PC, can I copy over saved passwords?: My neighbour is getting a new Dell Windows 10 PC, his old one is Win 10 as well, is it possible to copy over all saved passwords from various websites, Amazon, email etc from one PC to another? Thanks Steve 154747
  9. Reboot forgot to save .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reboot forgot to save .: To whom it may concern .This will be the second time , with in a matter if weeks , forgetting to save my actions . Also I put many copies of , and changed file names . I fixed some file name like my local c drive . I cant get to the many copies and remove them . I bought a...
  10. Windows reboots over and over.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows reboots over and over.: Hi All, Windows 10 notified me that I needed to reboot to complete an update. I did so and then the computer got stuck at 29% for more than 4 hours. I ended up shutting the machine down and rebooting. Now when the computer is powered up, I see the windows logo for a...