Windows 10: Windows not seeing external drive

Discus and support Windows not seeing external drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've just moved flat and when I setup my desktop PC again, Win 10 does not see the external USB 3.0, 1 Tb disk drive I have on my system. I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tallonius, May 6, 2018.

1. tallonius Win User

Windows not seeing external drive

I've just moved flat and when I setup my desktop PC again, Win 10 does not see the external USB 3.0, 1 Tb disk drive I have on my system. I had previously noticed this with another small drive but hadn't got round to dealing with it.

My flash drives - 2.0 and 3.0 - all work fine, as do my internal drives ( 1 x SSD and 1 x disk drive), so the issue seems to just be with external drives.

The drive is present in Device Manager, and the driver is fully up to date. My system automatically updates Win 10 so that's up to date too.

What can I do to make this work?

Thanks.

My system is:
    - Intel Core i7 3770K Processor 3.50 GHz (No Overclocking)
    - Asus P8B75-M LX Basic Micro ATX Motherboard
    - 16GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 8GB sticks)
    - Samsung 840 series 250GB Solid State Drive
    - 2000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk
    - Windows 10 Home 64 bit

:)

tallonius, May 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows not seeing external drive

1. Windows not seeing external drive - Similar Threads - seeing external drive

2. hp laptop doesn't see external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hp laptop doesn't see external drive: my new hp dq5000 laptop running windows 11 does not see my seagate backup portable drive, my old pc running windows 8 sees the drive thus the drive must be working....
  3. Windows 10 does not see external hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 does not see external hard drives: As the title says, Windows 10 doesn't see my external drives, but it does see a USB stick. Background: I have shrunk C: Drive, created a simple volume with disk management and it shows as new volume? F:, which is behind my Data drive. I don't know if this is coincidence or if...
  4. BitLocker doesn't see my external drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BitLocker doesn't see my external drive: I have a few external drives connected to my Dell Latitude 7310. I encrypted one and want to encrypt one more, but the second one doesn't show up in Manage BitLocker. My other drives do. I stored encryption keys on that drive at one point but have since moved them. Any help...
  5. Windows sees new external SSD as a USB drive

Windows sees new external SSD as a USB drive: Hi there. I'm a video editor and I recently bought a external SSD a HP P500, 250GB to use as a cache drive. It arrived as I was having trouble doing a clean install of Windows and due to the lack of flash drivers laying around, I used the brand new external SSD as the...
  6. Trouble Seeing External Drive

Trouble Seeing External Drive: I have been using a WD My Passport external drive since 2006. Beginning in Dec 2019, none of my laptops can "see" the external drive when I plug in the USB cable. Using Disk Manager, it says that there are 931 GB Unallocated and disk not been initialized. What happened?...
  7. Can't see external drives in File Explorer

Can't see external drives in File Explorer: I have 3 external disks and none of them are recognised when I plug them in, the usb ports are ok as I can plug any usb drives and use them with no issues. I have used these 3 drives with no problems in the past. I think a Windows 10 update has caused some issues? Please...
  8. Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window

Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window: I have an external USB drive with data from a previous computer that I want to transfer to my new Surface2 Computer. Device manager says it is working properly and drivers are up to date, but I can not access it through Explorer window. I don't see the option to add a drive...
  9. I can't see an external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't see an external drive: I'm trying to move 4G of files from an iOmega external drive to my WD 4T backup drive, but Windows Explorer does not see the iOmega drive. Device Manager sees it, its driver is updated, I disabled and enabled it, tried various USB ports, rebooted my laptop, but Windows...
  10. Unable to see external hard drive

Unable to see external hard drive: Hi, When I look in my computer or device manager my external hard drives are not visible. However, when I connect the hard drives it makes the usb connection sound. The drives are visible when connected to a different computer. But not when connected to a different usb on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. drive