Windows 10: Windows not shutting down properly error 0x9F

Discus and support Windows not shutting down properly error 0x9F in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just discovered this when outlook said (outlook.live.com’s server DNS address could not be found. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN). So I clicked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Shirotora, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Shirotora Win User

Windows not shutting down properly error 0x9F

I just discovered this when outlook said (outlook.live.com’s server DNS address could not be found. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN).
    So I clicked diagnose Ethernet and it tried to restart it but it ended up disabling it and I couldn't enable it. My internet was disconnected only for my computer, so I restarted the computer which then BSOD and created a minidump.

The internet was back and working, which included outlook. After that I checked my reliability monitor and I noticed each time I turned off the computer, it said windows was not shutdown properly even though I used the windows shutdown menu. I reloaded outlook and the dns address wasn't found but a few minutes later it randomly it worked again. Not sure if that's related.

So to sum it up, when I turn off the computer with shutdown menu it doesn't shutdown properly.
    I just got a new graphics card that day it started happening. So I know it must be that but I read the 0xF9 error is driver related. My graphics card is up to date.

Hardware:
    Asus maximus vii hero
    i5 4690k
    MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
    Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB
    RAIDMAX RX-635AP 635W ATX 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular
    Windows 10 64bit

:)

Shirotora, Dec 24, 2016

2. Error "Windows Was Not Properly Shut Down"

Hi Keith,

A good starting point it would be to check what is about the Windows Reliability Monitor(Start Reliability Monitor)
    that's the "perfmon /rel" that you mentioned on your start up message.

The index that you mentioned is about the System Stability Index and it is a number from 1 (least stable) to 10 (most stable) and is a weighted measurement derived from the number of specified failures seen over a rolling historical period. Reliability Events
    in the System Stability Report describe the specific failures. Based on this, is not really bad that your systems said that the System Stability Index is 10. Windows not shutting down properly error 0x9F :)

In order to check what happened with the machine that reported a System Stability Index equal to 1, we can do the following to gather more information:

- Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance > expand Maintenance > click View reliability history, and look there the information that are reported there,

- Go and check the Event viewer > Application and Service logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics-Performance > Operational, and look for warning or error events that are reported there,

- Now we need to run the perfmon tool and run a system diagnostic to try to find more information. Press the Windows + R keys > type perfmon press enter > expand Data Collector Sets > expand System > right-click System Diagnostics, choose Start. Report will
    be generated in 60 seconds. Expand Reports > expand System Diagnostics > choose report and check the information that was generated there.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Oscar.

Remigio O. Iglesias, Dec 24, 2016
  3. Error "Windows Was Not Properly Shut Down"

Thanks for the reply

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance > expand Maintenance > click View reliability history, and look there the information that are reported there,

That gives the display as before (perfmon/ rel)

All goes well with nothing reported when I do this "Event viewer > Application and Service logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics-Performance > Operational, and look for warning or error events that are reported there",

The log was empty.

However when I try to do this "Windows + R keys > type perfmon press enter > expand Data Collector Sets > expand System > right-click System Diagnostics, choose Start." I can't see how to "expand Data Collector Sets"

How do I do that?

Cheers

Keith

keithnicholls37, Dec 24, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Dump indicates a problem with avgtpx64.sys.
    Code: ffff8a01`231f9f38 fffff80f`c3fa104f*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avgtpx64.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avgtpx64.sys avgtpx64+0x104f[/quote] This is the driver for AVG Secure Search.

Try uninstalling it. How to uninstall AVG Toolbar homepage and Secure Sea... | AVG Support

Ztruker, Dec 25, 2016
  5. Shirotora Win User
    This is the driver for AVG Secure Search.

Try uninstalling it. How to uninstall AVG Toolbar homepage and Secure Sea... | AVG Support[/quote] Thank you for responding to my post. I had to uninstall it with revo uninstaller because it wouldn't uninstall the other way.
    I couldn't recreate the BSOD and I clean reinstalled my graphics drivers with a slightly older version, though I noticed on device manager the Nvidia virtual audio driver (wave extensible) (WDM) was damaged so I disabled it.

After disabling it, it seems to work so I installed the newest version without Nvidia virtual audio driver but somehow it still installed but wasn't damaged anymore.

My computer isn't getting the not shutdown properly anymore but I find it's a little more slower booting to windows but that could be normal.
    The only thing that happened today was my Explorer.exe crashed once for a few seconds.

Edit: Spoke to soon, it's still not shutting down properly. So I still need help.

Shirotora, Dec 25, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Run DM_Log_collector and upload the new zip files please.

Ztruker, Dec 26, 2016
  7. Shirotora Win User
    There isn't any new minidump files. Everything is working fine, no crashing. Just when I shutdown the computer with the shutdown menu, it's slower to boot down and up. The reliability monitor says it didn't shutdown properly. I know that isn't much information. If I get any new minidumps, I will upload it.

Shirotora, Dec 26, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Dec 26, 2016
  9. Shirotora Win User
    Yeah, I had it disabled for a while now.

Shirotora, Dec 26, 2016
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Try running in Safe Mode with Networking for awhile, see if any BSODs occur. If not then it's either some process starting at boot or a device driver that does not get loaded in Safe Mode.

Code: Windows key + C. Settings Power Hold shift key and click RESTART. Click on Advanced Options then Startup Settings. Click Restart and you have almost the full advanced Boot Options menu like XP, Vista or Win 7.[/quote]

Ztruker, Dec 26, 2016
  11. Shirotora Win User
    I did try safe mode, left it on for a while but nothing happened.

Shirotora, Dec 26, 2016
  12. Ztruker Win User
    How long did you run in Safe Mode? Did shutdown work from there?

Ztruker, Dec 29, 2016
  13. Shirotora Win User

Only a couple hours, not sure if that's long enough. It seemed to shut down faster but still slow at booting up. Though I never received an error of it not shutting down properly.

Shirotora, Dec 31, 2016
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Jan 1, 2017
  15. Shirotora Win User
    I'v been busy for a few days but now I got chance to try a clean boot. I did the first part only because I didn't know which software to uninstall. When I restart, the computer doesn't say it shut down properly so when I did the clean boot I shut it down. The computer did shutdown and startup much faster, then I checked the reliability monitor and the error never came up.

So, the clean boot did help the problem. Now I just need to find out which one is causing it.

Shirotora, Jan 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows not shutting down properly error 0x9F - Similar Threads - shutting down properly

2. Error: Windows was not properly Shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error: Windows was not properly Shut down: From few months i was seeing this issue "Windows was not properly Shut down " I tried everything to stop it but the issue is persisting I ran Dism Restore health command to fix corrupt files but there were no errors found in event viewer i found an error before this issue...
  3. Error: Windows was not properly Shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error: Windows was not properly Shut down: From few months i was seeing this issue "Windows was not properly Shut down " I tried everything to stop it but the issue is persisting I ran Dism Restore health command to fix corrupt files but there were no errors found in event viewer i found an error before this issue...
  4. Windows was not properly shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows was not properly shut down: Hello I'm Amirali.When Windows shuts down, the power goes out and the system shuts down suddenly. The next time the system turns on for a longer time but no error or warning is displayed. This causes all services and file systems to shut down suddenly; I have no problem with...
  5. Windows not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not shutting down properly: *Long Post ahead... Sorry*Hi, I moved to Windows 11 beta as soon as it was released and had been using it till the stable version was released. I did not have any major problems till December and in January, my Lenovo ThinkPad T14 started BSOD-ing with the error code...
  6. Windows not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not shutting down properly: *Long Post ahead... Sorry*Hi, I moved to Windows 11 beta as soon as it was released and had been using it till the stable version was released. I did not have any major problems till December and in January, my Lenovo ThinkPad T14 started BSOD-ing with the error code...
  7. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not shutting down properly: Hi, My machine, running windows 10 pro, 64 bit, does not shut down properly. I only realised recently that if I press a key, it fires back up. I have shut down in windows using the normal power function as usual and it's not set up to go into hibernation. I think it's been...
  8. Windows was not properly shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows was not properly shut down: It says "The previous system shutdown at 8:41:12 PM on ‎2/‎14/‎2018 was unexpected." it happen in many times. but it never happen when I plug in the charger....
  9. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Not shutting down properly: Hi all *Smile Bit of a strange problem with Windows 10 on my desktop - it doesn't seem to shut down properly. I get the usual 'shutting down' screen, but (sometimes) when it turns back on it's resumes at a stage maybe 30 seconds before I switched it off. For example, if I...
  10. Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!: Since upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, I remain perplexed about this one issue that is plaguing my system: Almost every shut down is reported in the Windows 10 Reliability Monitor as the computer was not shut down properly. This happens on both shut downs and restarts using...