Windows 10: Windows not using the correct localized versions of the system fonts

Discus and support Windows not using the correct localized versions of the system fonts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey guys, I'm from Bulgaria and use Bulgarian as a Windows 10 (Pro) display language. Bulgarian is installed as the first preferred language (with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KonstantinDimitrov, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Windows not using the correct localized versions of the system fonts

Hey guys,

I'm from Bulgaria and use Bulgarian as a Windows 10 (Pro) display language.

Bulgarian is installed as the first preferred language (with English (US) second), Bulgarian is also set as a language for non-Unicode programs, and as the regional format option.

I have two keyboards installed - the default US QWERTY and Bulgarian (Phonetic Traditional).

So, I think everything on my end is set up correctly.

Unfortunately, all Cyrillic text in my system is displayed using the Russian version of the Cyrillic script, and not the Bulgarian one. Everything I type and read on system menus is in Russian characters and a lot of them differ from the Bulgarian ones, especially when it comes to non-Capital letters. That makes reading difficult and confusing for me. Here is an image showing the differing characters between the Russian and Bulgarian version (in green) of the Cyrillic script:

Windows not using the correct localized versions of the system fonts 4eda5269-3c0f-4f00-8cd2-bc4ecb04ecd4?upload=true.jpg

I have lots of fonts that feature a Bulgarian localization (one fine free example is Fira Sans), but I no longer see a way to set custom system fonts in Windows 10. And then again, even if there was, I'm not sure the OS would even honor my system locale and actually use the localized glyphs for Bulgarian Cyrillic...

So my question is, how do I get Windows 10 to properly honor and display Bulgarian Cyrillic characters across the system. Thank you!

:)

KonstantinDimitrov, Jul 25, 2019

2. Windows 10 system fonts disappeared

Hi Daniel,

This issue occurs due to corrupted system files. We suggest that you run
    SFC
    and DISM. You may follow the steps provided by
    ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP)
    on his article. It will check for any system
    file corruptions on your system.

Also, you can restore your default font settings by following the steps below:

• Press Windows + R and type control.exe, and hit
      Enter.

• Click on Appearance and Personalization; then, choose
      Fonts.

• In the left pane, click on Font settings.

• Hit Restore default font settings.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jul 25, 2019
  3. NeoSOS Win User
    Fonts

Hello,

I found these steps in this forum from back in 2010:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to try these steps and check whether it helps in fixing your issue.

Open font settings by clicking on start, click on control panel, and then click on appearance and personalization, under fonts click on change font settings. And select the font size.

Step 2:

If you’re trying to change windows font size then please follow the steps below:

To change Windows fonts

1. Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type window color, and then click Change window colors and
    metrics

2. In the Item list, click the part of Windows that you want to change the font for. For example, if you want to change the menu font, click Menu in the list. Then, make any of the following changes:

· In the Font list, click the font that you want to use.

· In the Size list, click the font size that you want.

· In the Color list, click the font color that you want.

3. Repeat these steps for each item that you want to make changes to, and then click OK.

Does that help?

NeoSOS, Jul 25, 2019
  4. Windows not using the correct localized versions of the system fonts

All default Windows 10 fonts have changed and will not correct

Hi Rakrak,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

a: Press Windows key + X.

b: Then click Control Panel.

c: Then click Fonts.

d: Then click Font Settings.

e: Now click Restore default font settings.

I would suggest you to perform a system restore to an earlier date prior to this issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

• In the login screen, hold the “Shift” key and click on
      power icon and click on Restart.

• Click on Troubleshoot>Advanced Options.

• Click on System Restore and follow the prompts to restore the system.
    Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

Windows not using the correct localized versions of the system fonts

1. Windows not using the correct localized versions of the system fonts - Similar Threads - using correct localized

2. Font thumbnail not display correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Font thumbnail not display correctly: Several of my thumbnails do not diplay in the actual font https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/font-thumbnail-not-display-correctly/62a6c6d6-012d-4493-8537-b6f98ba06f06
  3. Hindi fonts not displaying correctly

Hindi fonts not displaying correctly: Hindi fonts used in Windows apps are falling back to Nirmala UI. Nirmala UI does not seem to be optimized for Hindi, as some characters display incorrectly. An example is attached, the issue is specifically with the middle character. Is it possible that Windows can substitute...
  4. System font Verdana causes small local font size from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    System font Verdana causes small local font size from Windows 10: I found system font of Verdana causes small local font size specially on Korean default fontMalgun Gothic. It didn't happen in Windows 7 before, and there is no big font size change on Chinse font but on Korean. Please let me know if anyone has an answer to slove this....
  5. Correct version

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Correct version: How do I get the updated document from onedrive when I use different computers? It appears as if the document that was updated stays on the computer that was used to make the changes. Please help...
  6. Fonts not opening correctly

Fonts not opening correctly: I have a few fonts on a Flash Drive that usually open just fine w/Windows Font Viewer. But somehow, the association has changed to IranfanView 64-bit & I cannot change it back. 1st, I left-clicked any font & chose 'Open with...'. I then looked for & clicked on the Font...
  7. Fonts not appearing correct

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fonts not appearing correct: Quite often my fonts show up in some words "squished" together. Sorry not quite a technical term. I tried to copy and paste an example but they copy just fine without the "squish". Have tried changing the font but doesn't help. Am using an insider version of windows....
  8. Forcing applications to use System Fonts

in Windows 10 Support
    Forcing applications to use System Fonts: Some of my (older) applications are not displaying fonts correctly all of a sudden. Possibly one of the windows updates. I am being told that this can be remedied in the code if in Visual Studio an option is checked to 'use system fonts' . However, as I don't have access to...
  9. WLM Not displaying font correctly when "reply" is used

in Browsers and Email
    WLM Not displaying font correctly when "reply" is used: Hi I'm using Windows Live Mail and when I select "Reply" the whole email and any part I type shows at about 300% view. This also happens with "Reply all" and "Forward" This just started happening and I have no idea why, I probably changed some setting but have no...
  10. Correct microcode version for me to use?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Correct microcode version for me to use?: To say I'm mixed up is putting it lightly...I just want to know if microcode update Windows10.0-KB4091663-x64 is the proper one for me to use with my PC (shown in image) Skylake S? Do I just double click and go? Also I am using Windows 10 Pro v1703 107338