Windows 10: Windows not working after surface reset

Discus and support Windows not working after surface reset in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I reset my surface pro (5th Generation) and logged in with outlook account. Although the home screen is appearing and the mouse works, the windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Colm O'Flaherty, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Windows not working after surface reset

I reset my surface pro (5th Generation) and logged in with outlook account. Although the home screen is appearing and the mouse works, the windows button doesn't work! Microsoft office and Edge are not there. The only apps that have appeared back on the taskbar are store, mail and my files. Rycycle bin is the only app on my desktop.

I have used powershell and no files are corrupted. I have logged out, restarted and exited, all to no avail. I have spent hours scrolling through websites and tried all suggestions but none work. I cannot download the ISO file as I cannot get onto the internet. Can anyone help?

:)

Colm O'Flaherty, Mar 29, 2019

2. SURFACE PRO 3 RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS PROBLEM

The camera caused a system freeze every time it was activated so I thought why not restore.

• I attempted to reset my Surface Pro 3 to Factory defaults.
    • The Surface Pro made it to 1% then crashed.
    • Now it is in a reboot loop.

I have tried several times and now it gives an "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing" error.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make it work again?

ScottPlatt1, Mar 29, 2019
  3. epete Win User
    Reset Surface Pro 4 Software / now have errors

Thanks. I have already started a second effort to reset the Surface and not preserve any personal files. (Personal files are all stored elsewhere anyway) I suspect the same thing will happen. When it does, I will give your suggestions a try. By the way, after a reset, is there any way for me to keep my original PC name. My MS Office listed the original pc name as one of the 5 installs on my license. I didn't want to use up 2 licences on one PC.

epete, Mar 29, 2019
  4. epete Win User

Windows not working after surface reset

Reset Surface Pro 4 Software / now have errors

I was having problems connecting to my work account so I tried to do a fresh install by using the "Reset" option. After entering my Bit Locker Recovery key it seemed to do what I was looking for. However there were some failures in the Windows update. You would think Windows 10 would play well with their own Surface Pro 4 hardware.

I noticed the Windows Hello feature stopped working. In fact under Accounts, Sign-in options it says "Windows Hello isn't available on this device. It was before I reset the software. I checked the camera app and both front and rear cameras are working.

So with the windows update failures and Windows Hello not working, I am wondering what else wont work.

When I click check for updates it says I am up to date even though it lists the failures under the update history.

Any ideas what my next steps should be?

epete, Mar 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows not working after surface reset

1. Windows not working after surface reset - Similar Threads - working surface reset

2. After update window, surface stop working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After update window, surface stop working: Just show this screen, can't do anything.What can I do?Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-update-window-surface-stop-working/6f633e79-04d2-4f22-8492-3f3035842d06
  3. After update window, surface stop working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After update window, surface stop working: Just show this screen, can't do anything.What can I do?Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-update-window-surface-stop-working/6f633e79-04d2-4f22-8492-3f3035842d06
  4. After update window, surface stop working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows not working after reset

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows not working after reset: I reset my computer, but the taskbar keeps flickering. I can't open command prompt. I was able to open task manager by using ctrl alt delete, but the close, window, minimize buttons and task manager name keep flickering to grey and back to normal. I also cannot interact with...
  6. Unable to boot Surface Go after reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot Surface Go after reset: So I have this Surface Go which made some trouble. I decided to reset, discarding everything (i.e. choosing the option not keeping any files). Following, the screen said "Resetting this PC ..%" or something like that for more than an hour, then it rebooted and asked me to set...
  7. windows surface needs to be reset

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows surface needs to be reset: It is asking for the recovery key. I have the KeyID but do not know where to input it to get the recovery key. Is there a link? I am trying to recover the surface for an elderly friend of my wife who does not have any of the info I would need, eg passwords, ids, etc. BTW,...
  8. After Reset: start menu and general windows settings don't work anymore (Surface Pro)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After Reset: start menu and general windows settings don't work anymore (Surface Pro): I decided to do a windows reset on my surface pro 2017 because the digitizer was behaving strangely. I chose the 'deepest' reset option (the one that is recommended for when you give away the pc afterwards). Everything seemed to have worked smoothly, but after it was...
  9. Surface Pro 3: No Internet after Resetting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Pro 3: No Internet after Resetting: Hi, I recently has the problem of the Blue death Screen or the Inaccessible_Boot_Device issue with my Surface Pro 3. None of the solution seems to work. It wont enter Safe Mode, it wont recognise the external Clean Installation Media USB drive for reinstallation. Finally,...
  10. Surface 3 BSOD After Resetting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface 3 BSOD After Resetting: Hello all, I am selling my Surface 3 so today I wiped all of my files off of it but after I did it became stuck on a blue screen that says INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I've been on the forums and I think I know how to fix it but I do have a question. I'm going to have to...