Windows 10: Windows NTFS file system Vs XFS (Linux) speed

Discus and support Windows NTFS file system Vs XFS (Linux) speed in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi there Tested on identical hardware (Same machine in fact). booted up W10 20H2 (latest skip ahead) on to SSD Copy one 4 GB mkv file from SSD to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, May 9, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows NTFS file system Vs XFS (Linux) speed

Hi there
    Tested on identical hardware (Same machine in fact).

booted up W10 20H2 (latest skip ahead) on to SSD

Copy one 4 GB mkv file from SSD to SATA 4 TB HDD -- speed running at average 212.4 Mib/s

Booted up on same computer Linux Centos 7.6 to same SSD after wiping Windows from it.
    Copied same 4GB MKV from SSD --this time in XFS format file to SATA HDD -- although it was 4 X 4 TB RAID array in Software RAID 0 config --- speed running at average of 784.7 Mib/s

Now not sure if the file system is the problem with Windows or the fact that RAID 0 makes a huge difference -- note software RAID -- haven't got any hardware RAID controllers on this hardware.

If it's the RAID software subsystem making the difference then it seems to me that Windows instead of spending loads of time on rubbish things (IMO though) such as emoji's and trivial differences to how the search system is presented etc should be implementing some type of sensible software RAID sub system --- Don't even think of mentioning that abomination they have called Storage Spaces - that breaks even before you THINK about enabling it !!!!.

Personally I think the biggest current bottleneck in the entire Windows OS is the I/O subsystem -- a re-vamp here would surely pay huge dividends.

Note --standard Disk to Disk file transfer using File explorer on Windows or Dolphin on Linux --both bog standard file managers. No Networking / Samba stuff used in the test.

Otherwise W10 20H2 seems to be working fine --just wish that they would have added a load more interesting features - especially if it's meant to be a future version of Windows --that's where they could test these things out like RAID / different file systems etc without impacting people on current releases of Windows.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 9, 2019

2. XFS vs NTFS

Hi

Is there any performance comparison report for NTFS on Windows vs XFS on Linux?

thank you.

Sangjin_389, May 9, 2019
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    NTFS vs XFS

Hi folks
    transferring 2 X 2TB files to NAS server (SAMBA connection) - one encoded NTFS the other XFS over a decent 5GHZ Wifi network - identical file sizes and HDD's identical connected via USB3 port.

My Max Wifi speed over network is approx 850 MB/s.

NTFS file transfer -- gave me around 36 MB/s .The XFS system (Linux file system) gave a speed well over 450 MB/s for the whole transfer.

Seems to me however you look at it that the old NTFS file system needs a major re-vamp.

Instead of Ms spending rubbish time with things like cortana (who ever uses it anyway) -- just get on and improve the file system -- slow I/O will kill any computer stone dead no matter how fast your CPU / Graphics card / RAM.

If I'm transferring large amounts of data now I always format HDD as a linux external XFS system (mkefs.xfs /dev/sdx -f)

I had to do some big transfers this morning -- NTFS estimated time 7 hrs -- conversion to XFS and transfer - 1hr 54 mins. That included the conversion to XFS and setting up SAMBA conversion

Seems Windows isn't fit for purpose when moving large volumes of data any more (> 1TB) not talking about "mickey mouse small files etc").

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 9, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

Help with XFS file system (linux)

Short version: i have a NAS device i bought on impulse. It works fine.

However, the ONLY file system it supports, is linux based XFS.

I need to find an operating system that i can run in a VM or boot from a live CD, that will allow me to access the data on these drives should the NAS fail.

I've tried the latest ubuntu - and failed. it didnt see the drive(s) appear when connected to the system.

Can someone suggest alternative operating systems i can try? i'm quite the beginner with linux. ALL i want is something that reads XFS hard drives from this stupid buffalo NAS, and will allow me to copy them to other drives.

Mussels, May 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows NTFS file system Vs XFS (Linux) speed - Similar Threads - NTFS file system

2. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  3. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  4. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. NTFS File System

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NTFS File System: I had a virtual machine running on a customer's computer, and I needed to reinstall it. I removed the drive from the computer so I could copy a new VHD from my laptop to the drive. IIt kept telling me that the recycle bin on the drive was corrupt and would not let me copy...
  6. NTFS vs NTFS 3.1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS vs NTFS 3.1: Out of curiosity only: what is the difference between just 'NTFS' and 'NTFS 3.1' Maybe there is none, I don't know. A system tool reports a drive with NTFS and another drive with NTFS 3.1 BTW - Windows Diskmgmt show NTFS only All drives are working fine. thanks. 135003
  7. NTFS vs NTFS 3.1

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS vs NTFS 3.1: Out of curiosity only: what is the difference between just 'NTFS' and 'NTFS 3.1' Maybe there is none, I don't know. A system tool reports a drive with NTFS and another drive with NTFS 3.1 BTW - Windows Diskmgmt show NTFS only All drives are working fine. thanks. 135003
  8. NTFS vs XFS

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS vs XFS: Hi folks transferring 2 X 2TB files to NAS server (SAMBA connection) - one encoded NTFS the other XFS over a 3GB Wifi network - identical file sizes and HDD's identical connected via USB3 port. My Max Wifi speed over network is approx 850 MB/s (not Mb/s) NTFS file transfer...
  9. Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...: Hi all, Here is a critical problem i have faced. I have inserted my pendrive in an laptop with OS X. As it was in ntfs format the data were shown but writting into this couldn't be done. So I format it to exfat format to get some data. When I insert it into my laptop it was...
  10. NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD: Hello. I have a SSD just for gaming. That is. A standalone partition without boot (only data; Steam and other games are stored there). I am wondering if I would gain any benefit from going from NTFS to ExFAT. Your opinions are welcome. 18291

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xfs vs ntfs performance

2. ntfs vs xfs

3. xfs vs ntfs

4. xfs vs NTFS benchmark ,
  5. xfs in linux vs ntfs windows