Windows 10: Windows.old cannot be removed

Discus and support Windows.old cannot be removed in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm posting this as information for others who may experience a similar problem. My desktop PC is used mostly for gaming, and was upgraded from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Bolehill, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Bolehill Win User

Windows.old cannot be removed

I'm posting this as information for others who may experience a similar problem.

My desktop PC is used mostly for gaming, and was upgraded from Windows 7 as soon as Windows 10 became available. The upgrade process worked well and I was able to remove the Windows.old directory via Disc Cleanup. I wanted to remove these files due to a relatively small SSD as my boot drive, plus I'd also participated in the Insider programme on another machine and so had a positive view of the new OS and no desire to revert.

When the Threshold 2 update was released, I again upgraded the machine, but this time Windows.old could not be deleted. I initially tried Disc Cleanup, and when this didn't work, a 'Run as Admin' command prompt routine. The command prompt process didn't work so I repeated this process after booting into 'Safe Mode' - with the same result.

My final 'nuclear option' was Ccleaner, which was recommended by many when I searched for others experiencing the same problem. I don't know whether Ccleaner actually removed the files - it said it did, but the machine wouldn't boot afterwards.

This prompted me to do a repair installation, which worked... and also gave me back Windows.old, only now it was almost a gigabyte in size. I still could not delete Windows.old either. It was as if something in Windows.old was still in use by one or more of the system processes and was therefore protected.

At this point I did what I should have done in the first place - a clean install. This took less that 20 minutes, and then another 90 minutes to get the machine back to where I wanted it to be. Installing to an SSD from a USB drive, and then using a 'bulk' installer from ninite.com makes the whole process very quick these days.

Windows was activated immediately, which was my only serious concern. Microsoft have done a good job on this front.

The machine is now working as it should. And no Windows.old folder! *Smile

If you find yourself in similar circumstances after upgrading, don't just 'reset' the PC, go the extra mile and reinstall. Problems deleting Windows.old may well be symptomatic of other issues. Reinstalling will ensure you get the PC you should have.

:)

Bolehill, Dec 18, 2015
  2. Glubbish. Win User

Cannot remove LXKPTPRC.DLL.mui from windows.old

This file cannot be removed, even with admin rights.

It is present in the windows directory as well as windows.old, it has the same date and size in each.

I presume that windows 10 cannot tell the difference between the one in windows being used and the one in windows.old that is not

How do I remove this file so I can finally get rid of windows.old?

Glubbish., Dec 18, 2015
  3. Cannot remove LXKPTPRC.DLL.mui from windows.old

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

LXKPTPRC.DLL.mui and other MUI system errors can be related to problems in the Windows registry. Several programs can share the same LXKPTPRC.DLL.mui file, but when these programs are uninstalled or changed, sometimes "orphaned" (invalid) MUI registry entries
    are left behind.

I suggest you to run the SFC scan and then try to delete it from the Windows.old folder.

Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt (Admin).

• At the Command Prompt, type:
      sfc/scannow
    I also suggest you to remove the applications which is effected with this and then try to install it again.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Dec 18, 2015
  4. ELI
    Eli Win User

Disk cleanup.

5. Ztruker Win User
    I've used CCleaner many times now to delete Windows.old. It has worked every time without any problem.

Ztruker, Jun 27, 2016
  6. Bolehill Win User
    As mentioned in my original post - Disc cleanup didn't work (including the use of the system files option)

Bolehill, Jun 27, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Their was a easier solution to remove the Windows.Old folder. Just had to make a bootable usb stick, with a program called
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable PE Rescue Disk . Made by one of our members. This program has lots of very useful tools installed on it, and would have removed the Windows.Old folder very easily *Smile Also other methods that would have worked too. *Smile
    But Glad you solved your problem. *Smile

OldMike65, Jun 27, 2016
  8. Bolehill Win User

Many thanks for directing me to these system rescue tools. I'll take a look - it's always good to have various options available!

Bolehill, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows.old cannot be removed - Similar Threads - old cannot removed

2. Cannot remove account from old computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove account from old computer: I am having trouble deleting my account from my old laptop.The laptop has been removed from my Microsoft profile/account.I've tried to follow the "account deletion" process but don't see the "Remove" option.The log in on the computer is flagged as a local adminsitrator, how...
  3. Cannot remove account from old computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot remove account from old computer: I am having trouble deleting my account from my old laptop.The laptop has been removed from my Microsoft profile/account.I've tried to follow the "account deletion" process but don't see the "Remove" option.The log in on the computer is flagged as a local adminsitrator, how...
  4. Cannot remove account from old computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Removing old Windows files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing old Windows files: Hi, I'm trying to delete some old Windows files. I installed Windows on a new disc and I can't delete the old Windows files. I'm trying to give myself ownership and giving myself full control. But even after I have done that the system says I need to get permission from...
  6. Bluetooth Mouse: Cannot connect or remove old pairing in Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth Mouse: Cannot connect or remove old pairing in Win10: I have IT level experience with computers in general, but I ran into a bug I can't seem to sort out. Computer: Alienware 15r3 with Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech M535 Steps to get consistent results with this problem: 1. Restart Computer. 2. Check Bluetooth settings. My...
  7. Windows 10: Removal of old (old, old) Windows installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: Removal of old (old, old) Windows installation: I have followed a few threads on manual removal of the Windows.old folder after automatic methods do not work, and none that I have seen has addressed the particular version of the problem I am seeing, which is that there appears to be a hard link embedded in this folder,...
  8. Cannot remove old Microsoft account from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot remove old Microsoft account from Windows 10: I switched the Microsoft account that I use for my Office 365 applications and I cannot get Windows 10 to stop asking me to "fix a problem with the old account" that I am no longer using and would like to remove. When I go to Settings > Accounts the old account is listed...
  9. Cannot remove old account from login screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot remove old account from login screen: When I turn on my computer I get the old user ID and have to click on new user ID on bottom left portion of screen to sign in with new user ID. How do I remove the old user ID from login screen?...
  10. Removing old D:\Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing old D:\Windows: It seems my old windows 7 directory (D:\Windows) is extremely difficult to remove. I already took ownership of all files (via Win10), but Microsoft, as usual, very aggressively hinders you in doing what you want to do. How do I delete these files?! Even just opening an...