Windows 10: Windows.old Folder Has Current Updates

Discus and support Windows.old Folder Has Current Updates in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was going to get rid of the Windows.old folder & thought I would look through all the files to see if I may want to keep some. I happened to notice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Moolah, May 6, 2019.

1. Moolah Win User

Windows.old Folder Has Current Updates

I was going to get rid of the Windows.old folder & thought I would look through all the files to see if I may want to keep some. I happened to notice that a lot of the folders have current (as of yesterday) files added & or updated. I assume this is not the way it is to be done. Any advice on why this is happening?

:)

Moolah, May 6, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 6, 2019
  3. old windows

Hi I have just reset my daughters laptop to factory settings and updated it to windows 8.1 on the hard drive I have a windows folder and an old windows folder can I get rid of the old windows folder and how would I get rid of it, as I am not used to win 8.

cookiemonster, May 6, 2019
  4. Windows.old Folder Has Current Updates

Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, May 6, 2019
Thema:

Windows.old Folder Has Current Updates

1. Windows.old Folder Has Current Updates - Similar Threads - old Folder Has

2. Windows 10 old folder gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 old folder gone: Hello, My windows got updated about 2 years ago, and I noticed a year ago from now that the windows old folder was missing. I understand that it got deleted after 30 days, but is there anyway to get this sorted out? I tried recovering it back then, I remember with...
  3. windows 7 old folder

windows 7 old folder: I am using windows 10 and I want to uninstall windows 7 old folder. seems I don't permission. Please Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-old-folder/74bb01c6-1cce-41e4-b852-ea70360170da"
  4. Old Windows folder delete

Old Windows folder delete: I just installed win 10 . I have 2 more drives with Win7 OS( Windows folders) in them. I am trying to delete these folders in vain. I am logged in as administrator. Any ideas?...
  5. Re- Windows Old Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Re- Windows Old Folder: Hi There , My name is Jamie Bratcher- I have an old windows folder from when my windows did the update when I did a factory reset- it had automatically updated to the new October windows update- and my laptop doesn't like it can some one please let me know the exact number of...
  6. Windows 10 LTSB has old Calculator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 LTSB has old Calculator: Just thought this was interesting: the LTSB version of Windows 10 has the Win32 version of the Calculator program. It looks identical to the Windows 7 version. I'm not sure what the reason for this was because LTSB still has the Modern app functionality, as a few other...
  7. Cant delete windows old folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cant delete windows old folder: I have a 20GB file on my desktop called windows old. It won’tlet me delete manually. I have tried disc clean up, clean system files but thePrevious Windows installation(s) does not appear. The location is C:\Users\Newsmall laptop\Desktop. The file was created on 30 ‎October...
  8. How to delete old windows file/folder

How to delete old windows file/folder: Hi, I just upgraded my Windows 8 OS to Windows 10 and it has left : Old.windows folder with many included files on my Harddrive. I have already backed up and transferred all the files I wanted to keep from that old version and wish to delete that file and all that is...
  9. Can Windows (old) folder be deleted

Can Windows (old) folder be deleted: Can the "Windows (old)" folder be deleted safely? I only have a 128g ssd for my operating system, and 25gig is being taken up by a folder called Windows (old) I would like to free up some space. 22791
  10. Is the "Windows Old" folder needed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is the "Windows Old" folder needed?: I know this has probably been asked many times, but I can't find the thread? In the C:/ drive there is a folder named "Windows Old", is this folder needed, or can it be safely deleted? The reason I ask is because when I run a virus chexk, it takes almost twice as long as...