Windows 10: Windows.old folder

Discus and support Windows.old folder in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi: I upgraded to Windows 10 about six months ago, give or take, and everything seems okay except that I find a folder called 'Windows.old' on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by patk, Jan 13, 2016.

1. patk Win User

Windows.old folder

Hi: I upgraded to Windows 10 about six months ago, give or take, and everything seems okay except that I find a folder called 'Windows.old' on my system. Some checking tells me that this is where my former version of Windows was shunted after my upgrade, and the usual recommendation is that to remove it I need to use the disk cleanup utility. However, when I run this no "Previous Windows installation(s)" selection appears. And most authorities also claim that the 'Windows.old' folder is automatically removed a month after upgrading. This clearly didn't happen in my case. Can anyone shed any light on how best to remove the folder? It's a pretty huge folder (almost 17 GB), and I could use the real estate.

:)

2. lacrumb Win User

windows.old folder

Basically If you are not nedding to go back to your previous build with in the 10 days there is no need for the folder.

lacrumb, Jan 13, 2016
  3. ConiGL Win User
    windows.old folder

you can get rid of it if you want but it may be best to keep it around in case of problems. You wont be able to delete it in the normal way though. Use disk cleanup. It will be deleted by the operating system I think it is 30 days . If you have plenty
    of space it is not hurting anything hanging around and just might come in handy if you start to have any problems.

ConiGL, Jan 13, 2016
  4. patk Win User

Windows.old folder

I blundered. For some reason I missed the "Previous Windows installation(s)" selection when I ran the disk cleanup utility. It was there, and I was able to remove the folder safely.

Thema:

Windows.old folder

1. Windows.old folder - Similar Threads - old folder

2. I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive: I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive is having only 256 gb but that folder have more than 500 GB how can it possible can i delet the folder or it delet automatically...
  3. I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive: I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive is having only 256 gb but that folder have more than 500 GB how can it possible can i delet the folder or it delet automatically...
  4. I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location: Our company uses onedrive buisness to store files and we have a IE compatible web-based program to review and download reports. Whenever I try to "save as" a report, the default is a folder that was located in the OneDrive folder under Users on the C-Drive. Even if i save in...
  6. Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location: Our company uses onedrive buisness to store files and we have a IE compatible web-based program to review and download reports. Whenever I try to "save as" a report, the default is a folder that was located in the OneDrive folder under Users on the C-Drive. Even if i save in...
  7. Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location

8. How to stop windows from creating folders from my old PC onto my new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop windows from creating folders from my old PC onto my new PC: HiI recently setup a new PC with windows . As part of the setup windows asked me if I wanted to sync folders from my old PC to my new PC . I said yes.This was originally what I wanted but now I don't want this to happen, and I can't seem to stop it. Every time I delete the...
  9. How to stop windows from creating folders from my old PC onto my new PC

How to stop windows from creating folders from my old PC onto my new PC: HiI recently setup a new PC with windows . As part of the setup windows asked me if I wanted to sync folders from my old PC to my new PC . I said yes.This was originally what I wanted but now I don't want this to happen, and I can't seem to stop it. Every time I delete the...
  10. How can you access an old profile files are on the computer but don't show in the folder?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can you access an old profile files are on the computer but don't show in the folder?: Hi I have a Dell laptop. A couple of weeks ago, the Window 10 program installed an update and it created a series of unfortunate events. At first my computer was looping on the "Preparing for Automatic Repair". I conducted a diagnostic and everything passed. I then had issues...