Windows 10: Windows.old folder??

Discus and support Windows.old folder?? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just upgraded to W10 this past February, have gone through a couple updates already. Today I did the 2004 update, and now I have a 26 GB folder in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Brogan80, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Brogan80 Win User

Windows.old folder??

I just upgraded to W10 this past February, have gone through a couple updates already. Today I did the 2004 update, and now I have a 26 GB folder in my C:/ drive.

My main question is, can I delete this. Also, why did it create this, and more importantly, where can I go to find out exactly what else the update did to my system (other than MS's official page)?

:)

Brogan80, Jul 15, 2020

2. Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Joan Pin Win User
    windows.old

Hi Momen,

To provide the proper troubleshooting steps about windows.old, we'd like to gather additional information. Please answer the following:

• Which Windows version and build are you using? Type winver on the search bar and press
      Enter to find out.
    • Were there any changes prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Joan Pin, Jul 15, 2020
  4. Windows.old folder??

Windows.old

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve these issues.

Please follow these steps and check if that helps.

Execute the following command in the Command Prompt in Elevated mode.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press
      Enter key after each command:
    • RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%\windows.old
    • If the issue persists, I suggest you to give full permissions to the Windows. Old folder and try deleting it.
    Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Sudharshan M K, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows.old folder??

1. Windows.old folder?? - Similar Threads - old folder

2. I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive: I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive is having only 256 gb but that folder have more than 500 GB how can it possible can i delet the folder or it delet automatically...
  3. I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive: I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive is having only 256 gb but that folder have more than 500 GB how can it possible can i delet the folder or it delet automatically...
  4. I recently reset my windows 10 and now i see a folder called windows old in c drive my C Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location: Our company uses onedrive buisness to store files and we have a IE compatible web-based program to review and download reports. Whenever I try to "save as" a report, the default is a folder that was located in the OneDrive folder under Users on the C-Drive. Even if i save in...
  6. Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location: Our company uses onedrive buisness to store files and we have a IE compatible web-based program to review and download reports. Whenever I try to "save as" a report, the default is a folder that was located in the OneDrive folder under Users on the C-Drive. Even if i save in...
  7. Microsoft Edge tries to recreate old folder in OneDrive PC location

8. How to stop windows from creating folders from my old PC onto my new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop windows from creating folders from my old PC onto my new PC: HiI recently setup a new PC with windows . As part of the setup windows asked me if I wanted to sync folders from my old PC to my new PC . I said yes.This was originally what I wanted but now I don't want this to happen, and I can't seem to stop it. Every time I delete the...
  9. How to stop windows from creating folders from my old PC onto my new PC

How to stop windows from creating folders from my old PC onto my new PC: HiI recently setup a new PC with windows . As part of the setup windows asked me if I wanted to sync folders from my old PC to my new PC . I said yes.This was originally what I wanted but now I don't want this to happen, and I can't seem to stop it. Every time I delete the...
  10. How can you access an old profile files are on the computer but don't show in the folder?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can you access an old profile files are on the computer but don't show in the folder?: Hi I have a Dell laptop. A couple of weeks ago, the Window 10 program installed an update and it created a series of unfortunate events. At first my computer was looping on the "Preparing for Automatic Repair". I conducted a diagnostic and everything passed. I then had issues...