Windows old, keep or dump?

Discus and support Windows old, keep or dump? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just got build 10122 and looking through the SSD shows 15.9 gb of Windows old. This pc has run W10 since the beginning with a clean install so W... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tinmar49, May 20, 2015.

1. tinmar49 Win User

I've just got build 10122 and looking through the SSD shows 15.9 gb of Windows old. This pc has run W10 since the beginning with a clean install so W old is only from previous iterations of 10. Is it wise to dump the old files?

:)

tinmar49, May 20, 2015
  2. DeannaSchmidt Win User

Folders doubling & old or deleted folders keep reappearing!!!

I recently bought a new laptop which came with Windows 10. I saved all my files to an external drive and then transferred them over and noticed 'double' folders (example... a folder named 'trees' would have a sub-folder names 'trees' and containing all
    the same folders/files as the original folder named trees). So I'm trying to sort this disaster but everyday older files keep popping up???? Today in 'My Pictures' folder there are 6 sub-folders from LAST April there, but each month I sort and print my pics
    so that there is only one folder per month which the goes into another folder designated for that year!!!! I am very organized and this is driving me crazy, PLEASE HELP!!!!

DeannaSchmidt, May 20, 2015
  3. Sachin Venkatesh Win User
    Folders doubling & old or deleted folders keep reappearing!!!

Hello Deanna,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the folders are keeping creating in subfolders also. We will help you.

This issue could have caused due to any malwares in your machine. This could be resolved by scanning the PC using the security applications.

I suggest you to run Microsoft Safety scanner to make sure that computer in not infected by malware.

Refer:
    Microsoft Safety Scanner

Disclaimer : Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 20, 2015
  4. cyberrufus Win User

If there isn't anything there in the old installations that you want and/or need it's just taking up space.

cyberrufus, May 20, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    If you think you might need to restore the old OS.. keep it.. otherwise.. delete it.

BunnyJ, May 20, 2015
  6. tinmar49 Win User
    The Windows old files are reluctant to go, it says that I need permission from "system".

tinmar49, May 20, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    One fast way is to use the disk clean up and then clean up the system files. You can't delete systems files just clicking delete.

BunnyJ, May 20, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 20, 2015
  9. tinmar49 Win User
    Thanks everyone, I had forgotten (old age), I've just got rid of 13.5gb.

tinmar49, May 20, 2015
  10. bobsagetfullhou Win User
    I always go through windows.old because very rarely a few important files won't make it over to the new install. But for the most part windows is great with migrating over everything.

bobsagetfullhou, May 21, 2015
  11. rvbfan Win User
    I usually do as well. But anything I have on the test laptop is easily replaced or found again. Anything mission critical is on my Seven machine.

rvbfan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows old, keep or dump? - Similar Threads - old keep dump

2. Application, virus, or something blocking windows defender from turning Real Time Protection on

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Application, virus, or something blocking windows defender from turning Real Time Protection on: I cannot turn on my windows defender real time protection, it is grey and cannot be turned on, before it said an organization was blocking your from turning on real time protection but i restarted my computer and when it turns on it says repairing and scanning drive then a...
  3. Windows 10 File deletion needs System Administrator Permission

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 File deletion needs System Administrator Permission: I am the sole user of my computer. I cannot delete a file (or file folder) as to do so needs System Administrator Permission. I am the Administrator. How to I fix this?...
  4. Windows 10 re-opening programs I manually closed and a major security/privacy flaw.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 re-opening programs I manually closed and a major security/privacy flaw.: Hello everyone, hope you're doing okay! A couple months ago I started noticing a problem with my PC. I noticed that most of the times, when I shut it down (I always close all the programs running) and then turn it on again (instantly or hours after), all of my programs were...
  5. OEM windows 10 Pro fail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM windows 10 Pro fail: Hello, I bought a refurbished computer with OEM window 10 Pro before. Now the Windows system fails to start. I want to reinstall the Windows. But I have not Windows install or recovery CD and I did not create a recovery disk. The computer has out off warranty. I only have...
  6. Windows 10 File History Backup has no progress bar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History Backup has no progress bar: This issue was raised 2 years ago, and yet nothing has been done about it. How can you have a utility meant to copy literally every single file on a hard drive, and not provide a way to track that progress, and make sure it's not stalled?...
  7. The Windows 10 that was forced on me is so bloated it has no performance and updates will...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The Windows 10 that was forced on me is so bloated it has no performance and updates will...: I am using Asus T200A which is a lightweight PC/Tablet Windows is 10.0.16299 Build 16299 There are too many problems to list The system has got so slow and bloated with Windows software with less tha a Gig left on my C: drive, that when I want to open a new application, I...
  8. Something keeps happening when I type

Something keeps happening when I type: [ATTACH] Instead of a line when I type in a text box, it just becomes a whole black rectangle. Can someone help me? Thanks. Something I could of thinked of: (this started this morning) This morning, an update happened. The update could've done something to do this >...
  9. how do i find my cursor on acer windows 10

how do i find my cursor on acer windows 10: how do I find my cursor on my acer laptop. windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-do-i-find-my-cursor-on-acer-windows-10/712f1d6f-06fd-45da-ade4-646a20b6b9a6
  10. New Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 18219 - August 16

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 18219 - August 16: Hello Windows Insiders! Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18219 (19H1) to Windows Insiders who have opted in to Skip Ahead. What’s new in Build 18219 Narrator Improvements We have made the following changes and improvements: Reliability: We have...