Windows 10: Windows old, keep or dump?

Discus and support Windows old, keep or dump? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just got build 10122 and looking through the SSD shows 15.9 gb of Windows old. This pc has run W10 since the beginning with a clean install so W... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tinmar49, May 20, 2015.

1. tinmar49 Win User

Windows old, keep or dump?

I've just got build 10122 and looking through the SSD shows 15.9 gb of Windows old. This pc has run W10 since the beginning with a clean install so W old is only from previous iterations of 10. Is it wise to dump the old files?

:)

tinmar49, May 20, 2015

2. Folders doubling & old or deleted folders keep reappearing!!!

I recently bought a new laptop which came with Windows 10. I saved all my files to an external drive and then transferred them over and noticed 'double' folders (example... a folder named 'trees' would have a sub-folder names 'trees' and containing all
    the same folders/files as the original folder named trees). So I'm trying to sort this disaster but everyday older files keep popping up???? Today in 'My Pictures' folder there are 6 sub-folders from LAST April there, but each month I sort and print my pics
    so that there is only one folder per month which the goes into another folder designated for that year!!!! I am very organized and this is driving me crazy, PLEASE HELP!!!!

DeannaSchmidt, May 20, 2015
  3. Folders doubling & old or deleted folders keep reappearing!!!

Hello Deanna,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the folders are keeping creating in subfolders also. We will help you.

This issue could have caused due to any malwares in your machine. This could be resolved by scanning the PC using the security applications.

I suggest you to run Microsoft Safety scanner to make sure that computer in not infected by malware.

Refer:
    Microsoft Safety Scanner

Disclaimer : Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 20, 2015
  4. Windows old, keep or dump?

If there isn't anything there in the old installations that you want and/or need it's just taking up space.

cyberrufus, May 20, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    If you think you might need to restore the old OS.. keep it.. otherwise.. delete it.

BunnyJ, May 20, 2015
  6. tinmar49 Win User
    The Windows old files are reluctant to go, it says that I need permission from "system".

tinmar49, May 20, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    One fast way is to use the disk clean up and then clean up the system files. You can't delete systems files just clicking delete.

BunnyJ, May 20, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 20, 2015
  9. tinmar49 Win User
    Thanks everyone, I had forgotten (old age), I've just got rid of 13.5gb.

tinmar49, May 20, 2015
  10. I always go through windows.old because very rarely a few important files won't make it over to the new install. But for the most part windows is great with migrating over everything.

bobsagetfullhou, May 21, 2015
  11. rvbfan Win User
    I usually do as well. But anything I have on the test laptop is easily replaced or found again. Anything mission critical is on my Seven machine.

rvbfan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows old, keep or dump? - Similar Threads - old keep dump

2. Windows keeps crashing on : Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation. volmgr

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows keeps crashing on : Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation. volmgr: This has happened multiple times and frequently.I turned on the Driver Verifier as instructed here.This is the same issue as reported here.System info and dmp files here:...
  3. Windows 10 keeps crashing and each dump is different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 keeps crashing and each dump is different: Split from this thread.System keeps crashing and each dump is different How do I get help with this same problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-keeps-crashing-and-each-dump-is/c191da19-7b0b-41c3-9963-061519948178
  4. Windows 10 keeps crashing and each dump is different

Windows 10 keeps crashing and each dump is different: Split from this thread.System keeps crashing and each dump is different How do I get help with this same problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-keeps-crashing-and-each-dump-is/c191da19-7b0b-41c3-9963-061519948178
  5. Windows 10 keeps crashing and each dump is different

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. System keeps crashing and each dump is different

System keeps crashing and each dump is different: Over the last 2 years, my HP AMD laptop often crashes with BSOD for no reason. It can happen both when in use or idle. It can happen as infrequent as once a month, or as frequent as 3 times a day. I've tried both win10 and win11 and it's the same.Recently, after behaving good...
  7. Computer keeps crashing with crash dump.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer keeps crashing with crash dump.: Hi there, I'm having issues with my PC constantly crashing when I use a specific game in multiplayer mode. Then today when I was trying suggestions others had made about possibly correcting the issue it crashed again. I wasn't in the game or anything at all.The newest crash...
  8. Computer keeps crashing with crash dump.

Computer keeps crashing with crash dump.: Hi there, I'm having issues with my PC constantly crashing when I use a specific game in multiplayer mode. Then today when I was trying suggestions others had made about possibly correcting the issue it crashed again. I wasn't in the game or anything at all.The newest crash...
  9. PC suddenly keeps crashing with this as the dump

PC suddenly keeps crashing with this as the dump: Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.19528.1000 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP]Kernel Bitmap Dump File: Kernel address space is available, User address space may not be available.Symbol search path is:...
  10. Crash Dump files keep appearing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Crash Dump files keep appearing: Whenever I paste, it only pastes this: C:\Users\(myusername)\AppData\Local\Temp\PRODUCT_NAME_UNKNOWN_CrashDumpPRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR_UNKNOWN-PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR_UNKNOWN-2019-07-14--18-58-06_.dmp So I checked AppData/Local/Temp and there was a BUNCH of Crash Dump files,...