Windows 10: Windows.old leftover (Solved)

Discus and support Windows.old leftover (Solved) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After finally getting the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to install, as expected, I had a WIndows.0ld file. Following instructions posted here and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Not Myself, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Windows.old leftover (Solved)

After finally getting the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to install, as expected, I had a WIndows.0ld file. Following instructions posted here and elsewhere, I used Disc Cleanup to remove most of that file.

There are still two folders remaining in Windows.old from System32, one in Drivers (IntcDaud.sys) and one in DriverStore (intcdaud.info.amd64xxxxx.) When I go directly to System32, both drivers appear in the same folders where they show in Wndows.old. Disc Cleanup no longer even recognizes Windows.old, so I cannot run it again to remove what appear to me to be extraneous entries.

Can I safely use Unlocker to try to remove the remaining Windows.old file, which likely would only work after a reboot? If not, is there some other method, short of using the Jaws of Life or a ten-pound sledge hammer to remove the leftover Windows.old file?

:)

Not Myself, Aug 14, 2016
  2. slance310 Win User

Win 10, no boot, no safe mode, no system restore, Status_Wait_3 error, 0x80070003 , bootrec commands successful, but still no boot, what else?

Hi,

The Windows.old is a leftover from a upgrade somewhere along the line...

Try the Boot Repair again, but don't do the System Restore and see if the machine will boot...

slance310, Aug 14, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    Have Windows 10 installed on HP Stream 13 with 32GB flash hard drive. Can't update any more because OS is taking up all HD space.

Hi,

You might try running a Disk Cleanup of the C:\ drive... after the first scan is finished there will be a button for System Files...

This could delete as much as 20GB or more leftover stuff from previous upgrades and updates... You may have a hidden C:\$Windows~BT folder, and a C:\Windows.old folder.. The Windows.old could be 20 GB all by itself...

This will eliminate your ability to Roll back to a previous version once they are gone...

slance310, Aug 14, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows.old leftover (Solved)

Brink, Aug 14, 2016
  5. kekinash Win User
    Under settings/recovery select advanced startup from there select Command prompt, in command prompt select your windows partition (normally c:\) and type the following command: rd /s /q "C:\Windows.old" to delete the Windows.old folder. If your windows installation is encrypted you need to pause the encryption in control panel to be able to access the windows partition from the command prompt.

Agggghhh beaten by Brink *Wink....

kekinash, Aug 14, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Windows.old leftover (Solved) [​IMG]

Brink, Aug 14, 2016
  7. Thanks, Brink: Unlocker did not work, so I delved into Option Three, which took me to places in Windows Ten that I did not know existed nor had any reason to so do. I am pleased to report that Windows.Old is no longer on my computer, and the two drivers in question remain where they were and belong.

Your assistance appreciated.

Not Myself, Aug 15, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows.old leftover (Solved) - Similar Threads - old leftover Solved

2. Leftover games from old Xbox install are stuck on drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Leftover games from old Xbox install are stuck on drive: - So, presumably from an old install of the Xbox app, I have installations of Halo MCC, Starbound, Conan Exiles, and PIllars of Eternity 2 on my computer. The issue being that these are stored on two "Program Files" folders across two drives, which then goes into a...
  3. Leftover games from old Xbox install are stuck on drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Leftover games from old Xbox install are stuck on drive: - So, presumably from an old install of the Xbox app, I have installations of Halo MCC, Starbound, Conan Exiles, and PIllars of Eternity 2 on my computer. The issue being that these are stored on two "Program Files" folders across two drives, which then goes into a...
  4. Leftover games from old Xbox install are stuck on drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Corrupt files leftover from an old Scansnap program. Unable to delete.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupt files leftover from an old Scansnap program. Unable to delete.: I have over 110,000 weird files, some with dollar signs in front. Many are variations of an old "Scansnap Organizer" file containing a exclamation point at the beginning of the filename and a ".PDF" in the filename from an old Fujitsu Scansnap program, which was accidently...
  6. Corrupt files leftover from an old Scansnap program. Unable to delete.

Corrupt files leftover from an old Scansnap program. Unable to delete.: I have over 110,000 weird files, some with dollar signs in front. Many are variations of an old "Scansnap Organizer" file containing a exclamation point at the beginning of the filename and a ".PDF" in the filename from an old Fujitsu Scansnap program, which was accidently...
  7. Corrupt files leftover from an old Scansnap program. Unable to delete.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Microsoft Edge old icon leftover from uninstalling

Microsoft Edge old icon leftover from uninstalling: I have two Microsoft edge icons on my shell:appsfolder how can i delete it? it comes back even after reinstalling windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-old-icon-leftover-from-uninstalling/273ac6e6-df9f-4efb-add3-24ecf150df04
  9. Leftover HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Leftover HD: Got a new Omen that only has two HD drive bays. Previous PC had 3. So, using Mini Partition tool, I formatted the leftover 2TB drive. Got rid of everything I didn't need or want except the drive titles: HP 2TB (C:) and HP Recovery (D). Is there a way to delete these drive...
  10. AVG leftovers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    AVG leftovers: Hello, Almost two months since I uninstalled this AVG antivirus using their special removal tool, then searched for leftover files and deleted them manually, did the same in the registry. Recently while using CCleaner, noticed there is still an AVG leftover in the installed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. leftover windows.old file will not delete