Windows 10: Windows.old

Discus and support Windows.old in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I open my C Disk I still have Windows.old ,Does any one else still have it I Thought it was supposed to go away after a month It's not causing any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jerrypc1, Dec 3, 2015.

1. jerrypc1 Win User

Windows.old

When I open my C Disk I still have Windows.old ,Does any one else still have it I Thought it was supposed to go away after a month It's not causing any problems I was just curious. Thanks.

:)

jerrypc1, Dec 3, 2015
  2. arunjeet Win User

windows.old

what happens to my windows.old(windows 7) file after 30 days of windows 10 activation?

Do I need to delete the folder manually as it is taking up extra space of the hard disc.

Does deleting that folder result in malfunction of current windows 10?

arunjeet, Dec 3, 2015
  3. Windows.old

I already answered this on the very first page of this thread:

P.S. You won't see the Clean system files button if you run DC as admin. You're doing fine so far; just let the scan complete!

Running DC as admin is simply a much quicker way compared to running it normally, scanning, then clicking
    Clean system files to relaunch the app as admin, scanning again and finally selecting the options. Hope you got it now.

RobertJWin, Dec 3, 2015
  4. brummyfan Win User

Windows.old

It won't go after one month, run Disk clean up as admin and select windows.old.

brummyfan, Dec 3, 2015
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Dec 3, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    No, the Windows.old folder will stay their forever, unless the user removes it. What you could do is make a image backup of your C-drive using a program like Macrium Reflect, to any 2nd hard drive, then delete your Windows.old folder IF you want too.

My mistake, as Disk Cleanup will also remove it too. my bad.

OldMike65, Dec 3, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Instead of using the regular Disk Cleanup by typing from run command: cleanmgr
    It is better to run it in extended mode. You'll have a lot more options.
    From Admin command prompt:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    Screen shot of Disk Cleanup in extended mode:

Windows.old [​IMG]

topgundcp, Dec 3, 2015
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Windows.old

This does offer a lot more choices, but it never shows the user anything, does not show if its even running, or how much disk space it saved, or files it removed......wish it would display whats it actually doing.

OldMike65, Dec 3, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    It sure does. It even asks you for confirmation if you want to really delete files that will not allow you to roll back to previous Windows.

topgundcp, Dec 3, 2015
  10. Kyhi Win User
    I second that... I surely does show progress...

It is also Option 9 in Image-Health

11. OldMike65 Win User
    I just ran this twice, it only came up to give me the choices of what I wanted to remove, then after I ran it, it shows me nothing. I saw nothing as far as any progress????

This command does show me a little more, actually shows me its running, but that's all it does.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35

OldMike65, Dec 3, 2015
  12. Kyhi Win User
    Attachment 51822

I would think you have one windows behind the other

13. OldMike65 Win User

Windows.old

I saw those screens only when I used this command.
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35

OldMike65, Dec 3, 2015
  14. topgundcp Win User
    @OldMike65
    That was my mistake. I didn't copy my shortcut correctly, It should have been:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

topgundcp, Dec 3, 2015
  15. jerrypc1 Win User
    Thanks For the reply

jerrypc1, Dec 3, 2015
Thema:

Windows.old

1. Windows.old - Similar Threads - old

2. Trying to reset old work laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to reset old work laptop: Hi my former employer allowed me to keep laptop as they were replacing laptops. Trying to set it up by resetting but no matter what I do it keeps asking me for a login that is work or school related. Is there anyway to circumvent that?...
  3. Trying to reset old work laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to reset old work laptop: Hi my former employer allowed me to keep laptop as they were replacing laptops. Trying to set it up by resetting but no matter what I do it keeps asking me for a login that is work or school related. Is there anyway to circumvent that?...
  4. Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad: I have the notepad exec but when I try to open saved notepad it asks what program to open it, it was working yesterday but not today. I have Windows 11 23H2.I have checked answers to the notepad topic but these are how to get it where as my problem is that it no longer opens,...
  5. Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad

Need help with old version of Windows 10 notepad: I have the notepad exec but when I try to open saved notepad it asks what program to open it, it was working yesterday but not today. I have Windows 11 23H2.I have checked answers to the notepad topic but these are how to get it where as my problem is that it no longer opens,...
  6. Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC: All advice I've seen to date is to open the Accounts page, select the account and click Disconnect. There is no option for this. There is a Manage option, however I no longer work for the company, so have no access to manage the account. A solution other than formatting the...
  7. Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC

Unable to remove old workplace account from personal PC: All advice I've seen to date is to open the Accounts page, select the account and click Disconnect. There is no option for this. There is a Manage option, however I no longer work for the company, so have no access to manage the account. A solution other than formatting the...
  8. Can't find old Windows activation key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find old Windows activation key: Hello, I purchased a Windows activation code from the Microsoft store back in 2019 to use on a PC I had built. I returned the PC shortly after and I was told that the activation key would be linked to my Microsoft account. I have since built a new PC and I cannot find the...
  9. Can't find old Windows activation key

Can't find old Windows activation key: Hello, I purchased a Windows activation code from the Microsoft store back in 2019 to use on a PC I had built. I returned the PC shortly after and I was told that the activation key would be linked to my Microsoft account. I have since built a new PC and I cannot find the...
  10. Can't find old Windows activation key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation