Windows 10: Windows on D: drive (internal SSD), programs on C: drive (internal HDD) - is that normal?

Discus and support Windows on D: drive (internal SSD), programs on C: drive (internal HDD) - is that normal? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; To make things a bit more interesting, I also installed a new version of Windows 10 Pro on the C: drive because I didn't think things through first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/harryadney, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Windows on D: drive (internal SSD), programs on C: drive (internal HDD) - is that normal?

To make things a bit more interesting, I also installed a new version of Windows 10 Pro on the C: drive because I didn't think things through first (sigh).

So, in a nutshell I've got a desktop that boots from the SSD, which has a minimum Windows 10 Pro installation on it, and a HDD drive - the C: drive - also with Win 10 Pro and all of my installed programs and apps on it.

The SSD is 240Gb.

The HDD is 1.8Tb.

I've bought a new 1Tb SSD, which I'd like to swap with the 240Gb SSD.

In an ideal world, I'd have Windows 10 Pro installed on the 1TB SSD, which will be labelled the C: drive.

I'd like to keep the HDD and have the drive letter be D: and the 240Gb SSD in an external case. I'm not bothered about its drive letter.

I've got Macrium Reflect installed, if that helps.

Any tips for doing this?

submitted by /u/harryadney
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/harryadney, Dec 13, 2020

2. windows 10 internal drive d how to take back ownership of the hardrive?

method 1 does not apply internal drive not external.

method 2 does not solve the issue.

we are talking about internal drive on a dell xps 8500 special edition with ssd 256gb and 2 tb hdd.

the c drive is the ssd. and the d drive is the hdd.

the catching is done on the ssd. for performance.

the issue is with the d drive not having the option to send stuff to it. when you right click a file in the send to option.

the d drive does not show up.

this started after reinstall of the os since the anniversary update crashed my pc.

still waiting on fix.

i am steve, Dec 13, 2020
  3. neilpzz Win User
    D drive is missing.. please help!

Using a search the make and model you have posted shows a 128GB SSD C:\ and 1TB internal HDD (hard disk drive) it's the 1TB drive that should have been the D:\ drive.

The only way to check if the HDD is detected is to check in the bios. Look for documentation on how to access the bios and see if there is a section there that lists the internal storage.

Otherwise you may need to go to a repair shop or contact Asus if it's still under warrantee.

neilpzz, Dec 13, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Windows on D: drive (internal SSD), programs on C: drive (internal HDD) - is that normal?

Windows C drive space

Hi YasoR2

Thank you for the screenshot . . .

There is a $Windows.~BT folder on your C drive, you should delete that

Everything else looks normal for a system with a lot of large software products installed . ..

Your user folder is using 23.4GB, do you have another internal hard drive on your PC apart from the 128GB SSD - is that DATA (D) drive an internal 1TB HDD?

DaveM121, Dec 13, 2020
Thema:

Windows on D: drive (internal SSD), programs on C: drive (internal HDD) - is that normal?

1. Windows on D: drive (internal SSD), programs on C: drive (internal HDD) - is that normal? - Similar Threads - drive internal SSD

2. Creating a system image backup from The C drive to the internal D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a system image backup from The C drive to the internal D drive: Hi there,I want to do a clean windows 11 installation and i want to backup my Apps,games,files,documents and etc. Except for the drivers which they're causing problem's.I have 2 SSD drives, 1- C/Drive for system and windows and 2- The D/Drive for anything else...Can i create...
  3. Creating a system image backup from The C drive to the internal D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a system image backup from The C drive to the internal D drive: Hi there,I want to do a clean windows 11 installation and i want to backup my Apps,games,files,documents and etc. Except for the drivers which they're causing problem's.I have 2 SSD drives, 1- C/Drive for system and windows and 2- The D/Drive for anything else...Can i create...
  4. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  5. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  6. Driver d internal ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Driver d internal ssd: I had a problem with My internal 2.5tb ssd and I deleted the folder and averything in it and made a new one and now it says new valume D and it's not letting me play any games it won't download really anything I got it to download but atill won't run what I download and it's...
  7. BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on Internal SSD drives?: I always enable BitLocker so that the ENTIRE SSD DRIVE is encrypted. My question is, does it really matter if I turn on BitLocker encryption before or after adding my data onto the Internal SSD drive of my laptop? I also use TPM with pre-boot PIN. 177028
  8. system Backup From C drive to D drive both internal drives

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    system Backup From C drive to D drive both internal drives: ok I have been on the insiders program for awhile. I am tired of having to reinstall my system completely when the updates give me BSOD or black screens of death and trying everything to get past it. Anyway, I have tried Macrium, Aomei and Acronis using the usb media recovery...
  9. Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.

Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.: I tried moving my Microsoft game apps to my much larger D drive, using the instructions that were recommended: [ATTACH] They stayed on drive C, but they did show up here on D: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] How do I open these in D, delete the ones in C, but still have icons on the...
  10. Most programs saving to C: drive SSD drive instead of D: HDD drive on windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Most programs saving to C: drive SSD drive instead of D: HDD drive on windows 10: Hello i just got a new laptop today which has windows 10 on it. And the issue im facing is everything almost installs to my SSD drive where my OS is located rather then my 1 TB HDD. I barely get any choice to choose. Steam allowed me to change it. I've even gone to the...