Windows 10: Windows on screen keyboard covers the input field on Microsoft Edge, bad design or bug?

Discus and support Windows on screen keyboard covers the input field on Microsoft Edge, bad design or bug? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, Recently noticed that on screen keyboard covers input field on MS Edge as well as on MS Teams. Using Win 10 21H1 with Edge 95.Is it a design issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by shaimerc, Dec 4, 2021.

1. shaimerc Win User

Windows on screen keyboard covers the input field on Microsoft Edge, bad design or bug?

Hi, Recently noticed that on screen keyboard covers input field on MS Edge as well as on MS Teams. Using Win 10 21H1 with Edge 95.Is it a design issue or a bug?Hope someone has a solution.TIAS Merchant.

:)

shaimerc, Dec 4, 2021
  2. yoyoma2 Win User

On-Screen Keyboard bug changes foreground window

This On-Screen Keyboard bug changes the current foreground window.

Steps:

1. Open Edge and notepad and maximize them (never minimize them)
    2. Select notepad by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    3. Open the On-Screen Keyboard (in Windows Ease of access)
    4. Type a few characters into notepad with the On-Screen Keyboard
    5. Minimize the On-Screen Keyboard
    6. Select Edge by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    7. Restore the On-Screen Keyboard by clicking on it in taskbar and use it to type into Edge
    Result:

Notepad is now on top

Expected result:

Edge remains on top i.e. the On-Screen Keyboard maintains the current foreground window in which you intended to type.

History:

This superuser Q&A contains links to this bug being reported in windows 8, windows 7 and claims it goes back 17 years to Windows XP.

Workarounds:

Kill the On-Screen Keyboard every time instead of minimizing it. The bug occurs because the On-Screen Keyboard fails to keep track of the current foreground window while minimized.

Patch out the SetForegroundWindow call from the On-Screen Keyboard binary as described in the superuser link above.

Wait 17 more years for Microsoft to fix it.

Tell user to stop being disabled.

yoyoma2, Dec 4, 2021
  3. RussIsaac Win User
    Designer Mouse battery cover not closing

Just bought Designer Keyboard and Mouse. Opened the battery cover on the mouse, input the batteries and now the cover will not lock in place?

RussIsaac, Dec 4, 2021
  4. gc520 Win User

Windows on screen keyboard covers the input field on Microsoft Edge, bad design or bug?

on screen keyboard covering input areas?

When I'm typing using the virtual onscreen keyboard on my surface pro 4, the keyboard appears over top of the input area in many apps, for instance like this input box. its particularly bad in apps like slack where there's just one line of text type into
    and its on the lower half of the screen. I'm used to my ipäd where the ios keyboard pushes apps up so that the keyboard doesn't obscure any of the app itself.

anyone run into this?

gc520, Dec 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows on screen keyboard covers the input field on Microsoft Edge, bad design or bug? - Similar Threads - screen keyboard covers

2. No input field on Windows 11 Lock Screen window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No input field on Windows 11 Lock Screen window: HIMy OS is Windows 11.Yesterday when I woke up my laptop I can't access my laptop. The Lock Screen only has a profile photo and the words "sign in".But there is no field to enter any password. This user is admin.I also have another user that has a field to enter a password,...
  3. Microsoft Designer Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Designer Keyboard: Hi, I had my Designer Keyboard for not even 2 years now and suddenly it stopped working. I thought it might have something to do with the batteries, however after I switched them it still is not working.When I hold the paring key nothing happens the LED will not light up....
  4. Microsoft Designer Keyboard

Microsoft Designer Keyboard: Hi, I had my Designer Keyboard for not even 2 years now and suddenly it stopped working. I thought it might have something to do with the batteries, however after I switched them it still is not working.When I hold the paring key nothing happens the LED will not light up....
  5. Windows on screen keyboard covers the input field on Microsoft Edge, bad design or bug?

Windows on screen keyboard covers the input field on Microsoft Edge, bad design or bug?: Hi, Recently noticed that on screen keyboard covers input field on MS Edge as well as on MS Teams. Using Win 10 21H1 with Edge 95.Is it a design issue or a bug?Hope someone has a solution.TIAS Merchant....
  6. Microsoft Designer Keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Designer Keyboard: I purchased the Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Desktop Keyboard and Mouse and continuing to have issues with the keyboard, to the point where it shows as paired, but not connected. I continually have to switch my laptop on and off to get it to connect and have had to remove...
  7. Cortana, Windows Edge, Start Menu, and other input fields not accepting input, but all...

in Cortana
    Cortana, Windows Edge, Start Menu, and other input fields not accepting input, but all...: Hello. A laptop with Windows 10 Home has a bizarre problem where the Cortana. Edge browser, and other input fields within the operating system don't take keyboard input. Yet all other programs like Microsoft Word or the Chrome or Firefox browsers all operate normally....
  8. Will Microsoft fix the serious Keyboard Input Language bug?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Will Microsoft fix the serious Keyboard Input Language bug?: I will try again, in case someone sensible at Microsoft might start fixing this. 1. Go to Settings/Time & Language/Language and add 3 total languages to your system. 2. Alt+Shift now switches between 3 keyboard input languages. Let's now try to remove one of these...
  9. Bad design or bug? > Windows Filehistory settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bad design or bug? > Windows Filehistory settings: Hi, I really don't get why everything has to pass through the feedback app that basically is a voting app. If this is how Microsoft takes input and evaluate what to work on, it's just horrible. Anyways. I just want to say that I think the setting setup regarding...
  10. Bad design or bug? > Windows Filehistory settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bad design or bug? > Windows Filehistory settings: Hi, I really don't get why everything has to pass through the feedback app that basically is a voting app. If this is how Microsoft takes input and evaluate what to work on, it's just horrible. Anyways. I just want to say that I think the setting setup regarding...