Windows 10: Windows on wrong hard drive

Discus and support Windows on wrong hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Please read full thing before posting answers: My PC is connected to two hard drives: one with 27.4 GB and one with 465 GB. The windows software and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JAMBERTRISTA, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Windows on wrong hard drive

Please read full thing before posting answers:

My PC is connected to two hard drives: one with 27.4 GB and one with 465 GB. The windows software and all it's updates are being stored on the 27.4 GB hard drive. However it is nearly 2.75 GB left so there is no room for newer updates; also, I would prefer to have other stuff in this hard drive, rather than the over 16 GB of windows software and updates. I've tried sending the windows folder to the other hard drive in file explorer the first party one but it says I don't have permission to do that. I really don't want to have to move or delete anything else, I just want to move the Windows software and updates onto the 465 GB hard drive, which still has 368 GB free.

Can someone please tell me how to do this?

:)

JAMBERTRISTA, Mar 20, 2020
  2. little cat, Mar 20, 2020
  3. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Mar 20, 2020
  4. $immond$ Win User

Windows on wrong hard drive

Windowed Hard Drives

On the contrary, showing off "slow tech" by adding a window to a hard drive is a "dumb" idea. Do you really want to be showing off a whole "7200-10000 RPM of power" or would you rather show off a plain SSD drive? (If you really desire to "show off")

Adding any window to any drive is just stupid. I just suggested an easier option for you since manufactures don't put windows on the latest hard drives.

$immond$, Mar 20, 2020
Thema:

Windows on wrong hard drive

1. Windows on wrong hard drive - Similar Threads - wrong hard drive

2. Windows 11 installed on wrong hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 installed on wrong hard drive: I just realized that my Windows 11 operating system is installed on the HDD instead of the SSD. I intended to use the HDD as storage for files and backups while having Windows 11 and applications installed on the SSD. I'm assuming that what I will have to do is backup my...
  3. Windows 11 installed on wrong hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 installed on wrong hard drive: I just realized that my Windows 11 operating system is installed on the HDD instead of the SSD. I intended to use the HDD as storage for files and backups while having Windows 11 and applications installed on the SSD. I'm assuming that what I will have to do is backup my...
  4. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  5. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  6. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.: I upgraded from a 120GB SSD to a 250GB SSD. When I installed the system image it said I only have about 5GB left as if it was the 120GB hard drive. How do I partition this to show the right storage amount? submitted by /u/nwl5 [link] [comments]...
  8. Wrong Hard Drive Total Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wrong Hard Drive Total Space: Hi Gents, I recently got a Dell laptop (500GB SSD) as it by default came with only C: drive (Single Drive) , I went ahead and tried to shrink the volume to 114 GB so that with rest of the unallocated I can create a second say D: drive. It first threw some error like...
  9. Wrong Hard Drive Total Space

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong Hard Drive Total Space: Hi Gents, I recently got a Dell laptop (500GB SSD) as it by default came with only C: drive (Single Drive) , I went ahead and tried to shrink the volume to 114 GB so that with rest of the unallocated I can create a second say D: drive. It first threw some error like...
  10. computer boots wrong hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    computer boots wrong hard drive: My wife's computer has started once in awhile to try and boot from the d:\ drive. We turn off the computers at night. Some mornings when I turn on her computer I get the _ flashing in the upper corner of the monitor. When I reboot and go into the setup. I go to the boot...