Windows 10: Windows only activates with a clean install not from an image restore

Discus and support Windows only activates with a clean install not from an image restore in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello have a question on behalf of my Son, he recently had a problem with Windows not booting, so reinstalled a Macrium Reflect image, unfortunately it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by reddwarf4ever, May 28, 2020.

1. Windows only activates with a clean install not from an image restore

Hello
    have a question on behalf of my Son, he recently had a problem with Windows not booting, so reinstalled a Macrium Reflect image, unfortunately it refused to activate. He then did a clean install of W10 and using his Windows 7 pro key, which he used previously to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, it activated immediately. So I assume the digital licence is valid with MS servers. Is there any way of getting the activation to work with his MR image restoration ? I had a similar issue recently, I suggested he try the MR image restore then do an in place repair upgrade, although when I did this it prevented my PC being activated, had to restore a MR image before the W10 repair upgrade then it activated immediately.....on a personal note I actually phoned MS about My issue and all the support lady said was the free upgrade was no longer available, couldnt get any help at all, support does seem to vary, depending on who you get *Confused

Going back to my Sons problem, if the repair upgrade after restoring the MR image doesnt activate, is there any other option ? Can he install windows 10 maybe, and keep his personal files ? Quite happy t reinstall his Apps.....

:)

reddwarf4ever, May 28, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, May 28, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Windows only activates with a clean install not from an image restore [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, May 28, 2020
  4. Windows only activates with a clean install not from an image restore

Windows only activates with a clean install not from an image restore

Hello
    have a question on behalf of my Son, he recently had a problem with Windows not booting, so reinstalled a Macrium Reflect image, unfortunately it refused to activate. He then did a clean install of W10 and using his Windows 7 pro key, which he used previously to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, it activated immediately. So I assume the digital licence is valid with MS servers. Is there any way of getting the activation to work with his MR image restoration ? I had a similar issue recently, I suggested he try the MR image restore then do an in place repair upgrade, although when I did this it prevented my PC being activated, had to restore a MR image before the W10 repair upgrade then it activated immediately.....on a personal note I actually phoned MS about My issue and all the support lady said was the free upgrade was no longer available, couldn’t get any help at all, support does seem to vary, depending on who you get *Confused

Going back to my Sons problem, if the repair upgrade after restoring the MR image doesn’t activate, is there any other option ? Can he install windows 10 maybe, and keep his personal files ? Quite happy t reinstall his Apps.....

reddwarf4ever, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows only activates with a clean install not from an image restore

1. Windows only activates with a clean install not from an image restore - Similar Threads - activates clean install

2. Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?: Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option to keep my files, but reinstall windows. I was warned that installed programs would be lost, and so I created a system image...
  3. Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?: Hello, Just reset windows 10 to solve a network issue {[SOLVED ]Unidenified Network, No Internet Access - Microsoft Community}, and I chose the option to keep my files, but reinstall windows. I was warned that installed programs would be lost, and so I created a system image...
  4. Restoring Only Programs From A System Image, Not System Files ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restore Point or Restore from Image?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Point or Restore from Image?: Hello r/windows10 , hope you're all well. I had some issues that were finally resolved with a USB Recovery Drive. I have my computer all set up back to the way I had it before I had those issues. All is good now. What I would like to do is prevent myself from having to start...
  6. Restoring from system image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring from system image: Hi there, My hard disk(1Tb capacity) recently died and nothing was recoverable. It was replaced by a SSD (500 Gb) capacity. There was about 800Gb available on the old drive so space wasn't a problem. The old drive had a C: and D: partition. I supplied the technicians with...
  7. Clean install and activations

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install and activations: Hello. I have been unable to activate W10 from a clean installation, neither by using a w7 code (COA sticker), neither from those w8.x systems that have activation string encrypted in bios (do you need UEFI/GPT installation for this way to work?). Ideas?. 18064
  8. Restore from Windows Image Backup

Restore from Windows Image Backup: I Created an image backup using Windows 10. I burned the repair CD. I booted from cd. Options are most recent backup [but it only shows D:\, the factory backup partition]. No browse capability. Other option does not let me browse to the folder the system created,...
  9. Clean W10 Install, Can't Restore System Image

Clean W10 Install, Can't Restore System Image: I created an image of my tower a week or two ago. I decided to restore to said image, but cancelled it. I went to boot it up later, and I received an error that there was no OS. I reasoned that it would be fine to reinstall and then restore. I got W10 through the free upgrade...
  10. Registry restoration on a clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry restoration on a clean install: I recently had to do a clean install for windows 10 due to my computer deadlocking twice a day randomly. I backed up every application and even created a backup of my computer's registry in regedit before committing to a clean install. When I finished with reinstalling...