Windows 10: Windows only boots from UEFI

Discus and support Windows only boots from UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am having a strange boot error. I recently updated my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and had zero problems with the upgrade process. My system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kjmatheis, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Kjmatheis Win User

Windows only boots from UEFI

I am having a strange boot error. I recently updated my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and had zero problems with the upgrade process. My system has a 10 gb Sata drive for the boot drive and several storage drives that were disconnected during the upgrade process.

My boot priority in the UEFI is set to boot from an optical drive first, then the Windows boot manager on my system disk. Every time I attempt to boot I get the error boot mgr missing press ctrl alt del to restart, however, if I select the Windows boot manager manually from inside the UEFI Windows boots normally and everything in the OS works perfectly fine.

This doesn't make any sense to me.

System details:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8 core 3.5 GHz
    2 X 8GB G.SKILL Ares DDR3 1600 ram
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960
    WD Green 10 GB Sata drive

:)

Kjmatheis, Aug 25, 2016

2. Bitlocker Recovery Key Issue

The UEFI on the IdeaPad 100S only permits booting from the Windows bootloader. As far as I can tell it is not possible to change the UEFI to allow booting from a USB stick.

DavidDismuke, Aug 25, 2016
  3. Bootloop

Hi All

After searching for hours, trying to restart pc from UEFI loop i enabled windows only secure boot restarted from UEFI exit screen, then pc rebooted in UEFI mode again. this time i disabled secure boot and restarted again.

Hurrah booted in windows and problem solved

SCampbell82, Aug 25, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

When you said you upgraded Windows 10 from Windows 7, I supect that your Windows was initially installed using MBR partition scheme. If it is the case then you should boot it using legacy. Some MB board will support booting using either MBR or GPT if you set UEFI+Legacy in the BIOS but it will look at the disk type (MBR or UEFI) where your Windows was installed.

topgundcp, Aug 25, 2016
  5. altae Win User
    You should start by telling us if your system is installed on a drive with MBR or GPT partition table.

altae, Aug 26, 2016
  6. Feather Win User
    You do not need to change the boot order of drives in your UEFI firmware settings, so use the default settings.

If you want to boot from an optical drive, then just use the one-time boot menu.

Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode

Windows only boots from UEFI [​IMG]

Feather, Aug 26, 2016
  7. Kjmatheis Win User
    Thanks everyone, it turns out that csm was enabled in my UEFI and set to UEFI and legacy. Apparently it would default to legacy and try to boot from an old Mbr partition for a Windows installation that no longer exists.

Kjmatheis, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows only boots from UEFI - Similar Threads - boots UEFI

2. My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI.: It doesnt boot. My old post just disapered https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-will-not-boot-into-windows-after-i-change/0c6f65de-d9db-4e32-9537-1175475c3720
  3. My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI.: It doesnt boot. My old post just disapered https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-will-not-boot-into-windows-after-i-change/0c6f65de-d9db-4e32-9537-1175475c3720
  4. My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI.: My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI. It boots into the bios which i recently updated and will not change untill i change back to CSM. I have a AMD motherbboard i think....
  6. My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI.

My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI.: My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI. It boots into the bios which i recently updated and will not change untill i change back to CSM. I have a AMD motherbboard i think....
  7. My pc will not boot into windows after i change from CSM to UEFI.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. How to prevent Windows 11 for updating the UEFI boot order?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Windows 11 for updating the UEFI boot order?: Every time I boot Windows 11 with which I am happy, it updates the boot order to put the windows UFI first time. Windows should not alter the boot order it finds in the system, and damn sure it should not do it without obtaining first confirmation from the user. This behavior...
  9. How to prevent Windows 11 for updating the UEFI boot order?

How to prevent Windows 11 for updating the UEFI boot order?: Every time I boot Windows 11 with which I am happy, it updates the boot order to put the windows UFI first time. Windows should not alter the boot order it finds in the system, and damn sure it should not do it without obtaining first confirmation from the user. This behavior...
  10. NVMe SSD with clean W11 install not being listed as a UEFI boot option, but it shows up in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVMe SSD with clean W11 install not being listed as a UEFI boot option, but it shows up in...: My goal is to install and run W11 on my new M.2 SSD after making a variety of PC upgrades. Here's the sequence of events including all troubleshooting steps taken so far:- Made sure I was grounded the whole time.- Upgraded motherboard from an old AM3+ to an AM5, MSI pro...