Windows 10: Windows only boots up if the SSD drive is on SATA port 2. UEFI's boot setup does not show...

Discus and support Windows only boots up if the SSD drive is on SATA port 2. UEFI's boot setup does not show... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Issue: Perfectly functioning machine if SSD drive is connected to the SATA port 2 (3rd port): All the drives show up, function, etc. but if try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/coogie, May 9, 2022.

1. /u/coogie Win User

Windows only boots up if the SSD drive is on SATA port 2. UEFI's boot setup does not show...

Issue:

Perfectly functioning machine if SSD drive is connected to the SATA port 2 (3rd port): All the drives show up, function, etc. but if try to move it to port 0 (or any other port) on the motherboard, I get an error on bootup that the OS drive can't be found and I get a windows recovery blue screen. If however I remove all the other drives and only put the SSD on port 0, I don't even get the blue recovery screen and just get the old black screen telling me it can't find an OS drive.

If I hold F11 and go to the UEFI boot settings, the only choice that shows up is Windows Boot Manager, my 2 data drives, DVD drive, and USB. The SSD isn't even on the list! When I put things the way they were and check the UEFI settings, then the SSD drive shows up there but would not boot if I picked it as the highest priority. It would only boot up if I chose Windows Boot Manager.

This is the setup in Windows disk manager: https://imgur.com/a/dkBhNY6

Why I care:

I guess if I just use windows, it's fine, but I really like to keep the SSD drive on SATA Port 0 so if I get a new motherboard and/or put Linux on the machine, everything is nice and tidy with the OS/boot manager, etc. being on the SSD and then I can pick another drive for Linux, etc.

Background/upgrade history which may or may not shed light on the subject:

This is an older Sandybridge i7 machine with an ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 motherboard that has gone a lot of little upgrades in the last 10 years, but the pertinent ones:

• Original system has BIOS but the motherboard was UEFI ready. I stuck with BIOS.
    • Original build had 2 320GB 7200 RPM drives- one OS and one for data (C: and DWindows only boots up if the SSD drive is on SATA port 2. UEFI's boot setup does not show... :). Honesty, these were my first SATA drives so I didn't know if I had them on the right ports...
    • Later as HD prices dropped I wanted to get "large" size to not worry about it for a long time so added a 2 TB data drive which became Drive J: I still kept the old 320GB D drive around to store temporary files, downloads, etc. so I wouldn't wear out the new drive much.
    • Later, once SSD drives became cheap enough, I replaced the C drive with the SSD, and did a clean Windows install. So now we had C: as the OS drive, D: as a temp drive, and J: as the data drive.
    • Upgraded system to Windows 10 whenever that came out
    • Then because I was thinking of getting a bigger drive, thought I'd convert my BIOS to a UEFI because how hard could it be? As it turned out, it was REALLY hard because for some reason, BCD data had also been saved on J but I fixed it after asking around.

My uneducated theory:

It really seems like Windows Boot manager has hardcoded that the boot drive is on SATA Port 2. I suspect if put it on port 0 and I made a recovery USB, perhaps I could convince it to look for the drive on port 0. Honestly though UEFI is a bit of a mystery to me. With BIOS, I could just go look for the drive and tell it to go there.

So any way to move the drive to SATA port 0?

submitted by /u/coogie
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/coogie, May 9, 2022
  2. DaveM121 Win User

New SSD wont boot

Hi John

Boot into BIOS, is SATA Mode set to AHCI to enable booting from an SSD drive?

Is the SSD drive set a top of the Boot Priority list?

Did you try connecting that SSD to the SATA Port normally used by your old HDD?

DaveM121, May 9, 2022
  3. Hard Drive Not Showing Up In The Boot Order

Hi,

Since I tried to install VMware on one of my PC, the HDD is not showing up in the boot order but I can see it in the SATA device list. If I try to install Ubuntu Server or Linux Mint, the both OS can see the 500 GB drive and I can install the OS on it but when the installation is done, the OS, Linux Mint or Ubuntu Server, depending what is installed, won't boot because the 500 GB HDD is not showing up as a boot device.

Why this happen? I do a Google search but all I get is not what I search for or non somes forums, they suggest to unplug the SATA cable and re-plug it on another SATA port because the SATA port can be dead. I do this but it won't fix the issue, by the way if the SATA port was dead, why I can see the 500 GB drive on the SATA device section of the BIOS? And also I got the HDD may be dead, not possible because he is detected on the Linux Mint setup or Ubuntu Server setup ansd like I saids I can install an OS on it and he is detected in the SATA devices section in the BIOS. As I found nothing reveland on Google, I need help please.

This is possible VMware has scrapped the BIOS or the Hard Drive? I don't know…

Thanks in advance for your help!

Guillaume

guillaumesoucy, May 9, 2022
  4. Phinkton Win User

Windows only boots up if the SSD drive is on SATA port 2. UEFI's boot setup does not show...

Cannot boot from SSD, get sent back to BIOS

I have recently got a new SSD for my desktop and wanted to do a fresh install of windows and replace my current HDD, giving me a fresh slate. I go through the standard windows installation with a USB, and unplug the USB after windows has been installed onto
    the SSD, the computer will then restart and I get put back into the BIOS. My issue is that once i do this, every-time, no matter what I do when i try to boot to the SSD I get sent back to the BIOS, here is a list of what I've tried:

• Changing boot order
    • unplugging every other SATA cable except for the one connected to the SSD
    • plugging the SSD SATA cable into the lowest number SATA port on my motherboard
    • Plugging in the SSD SATA cable into the port used by my disk drive
    • Enabling and disabling safe boot in the BIOS
    • enabling and disabling CSM in the BIOS
    • Setting the boot CSM to "UEFI only" (does not recognize the SSD anymore)
    • Installing windows from the USB with the SSD being the only drive attached
    • using the same SATA port as my unplugged HDD for my SSD

When in the BIOS the SSD is the only possible boot device recognized by the motherboard, the BIOS does recognize the SSD as a bootable drive. I've checked the SSD when booting from my HDD and all the necessary windows files seem to be there. When attempting
    to boot i get a black screen with a single flashing white line in the top left, then it proceeds into the BIOS.

I have no idea what's wrong and I have found nothing that can fix it. if it's necessary here is my hardware:

ASUS Z97-A

Intel I5-4670K

NVIDIA GeForce 1070

8 GB RAM

A sound card (if that's relevant)

Storage:

HDD: Seagate 1TB

SSD: WD 1TB SSD "3D NAND" (New Drive)

Phinkton, May 9, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows only boots up if the SSD drive is on SATA port 2. UEFI's boot setup does not show... - Similar Threads - boots SSD drive

2. SATA SSD doesn't work as boot up drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA SSD doesn't work as boot up drive: Hello i recently bought a Kingston nvme SSD and put it in my pc in bios it shows up as SATA port 0 but doesn't seem to be seen in boot order priorities When i boot up windows on a m.2 nvme SSD it shows up in windows but i can't boot up windows on it . I don't know what to do...
  3. SATA SSD doesn't work as boot up drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA SSD doesn't work as boot up drive: Hello i recently bought a Kingston nvme SSD and put it in my pc in bios it shows up as SATA port 0 but doesn't seem to be seen in boot order priorities When i boot up windows on a m.2 nvme SSD it shows up in windows but i can't boot up windows on it . I don't know what to do...
  4. USB drive shows up in My PC, but not in UEFI boot sequence which shows only Windows Boot...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drive shows up in My PC, but not in UEFI boot sequence which shows only Windows Boot...: Hi thereUSB drive shows up in My PC, but not in UEFI boot sequence which shows only Windows Boot Manager and Disabled as options. How to fix this, please?Thank you....
  5. USB drive shows up in My PC, but not in UEFI boot sequence which shows only Windows Boot...

USB drive shows up in My PC, but not in UEFI boot sequence which shows only Windows Boot...: Hi thereUSB drive shows up in My PC, but not in UEFI boot sequence which shows only Windows Boot Manager and Disabled as options. How to fix this, please?Thank you....
  6. USB drive shows up in My PC, but not in UEFI boot sequence which shows only Windows Boot...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?: Hello!! I am using a Lenovo V310 14ISK laptop which is set to Legacy boot mode by default. Now I want to install a SATA SSD in place of my old HDD and use it as a boot drive while keeping HDD in the DVD drive bay and use it for storing photos, videos etc.So will I have to...
  8. Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?

Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?: Hello!! I am using a Lenovo V310 14ISK laptop which is set to Legacy boot mode by default. Now I want to install a SATA SSD in place of my old HDD and use it as a boot drive while keeping HDD in the DVD drive bay and use it for storing photos, videos etc.So will I have to...
  9. Legacy or UEFI Boot mode for new SATA SSD?

10. Set up second SATA SSD as Linux boot drive?

Set up second SATA SSD as Linux boot drive?: I have a 10-year-old HP H8-1070t PC (BIOS AMI 7.09 7/2/2011) running Windows 10 Pro v. 2004 build 19041.985. It has two SATA SSD's, SATA1 assigned as C: (Windows boot drive), and SATA0 as D: (data). System info says the BIOS is in UEFI mode. The BIOS's boot page lists the...