Windows 10: Windows only lets me save new files to C:

Discus and support Windows only lets me save new files to C: in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All my main user files (Desktop, Documents, etc) are located on my E: drive, because that's my 2TB HDD. My C: drive (containing Program Files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hisuii, Nov 10, 2018.

1. hisuii Win User

Windows only lets me save new files to C:

All my main user files (Desktop, Documents, etc) are located on my E: drive, because that's my 2TB HDD. My C: drive (containing Program Files, ProgramData, Windows, etc. system files) is a small partition on one of my SSDs meant for important system files and programs.

My issue is that, default Windows programs, like Notepad and Paint, don't allow me to save outside of my C: drive. Even when I run these programs as administrator, I can't save to my main E: drive.

I am running the latest version of Windows 10 Home. Can anyone help resolve this problem?

:)

hisuii, Nov 10, 2018
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Nov 10, 2018
  3. fussybob Win User
    Can't save file in C:\ root directory

I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone.

I can make/delete new folders in the C: drive, and save/delete files in those folders.
    My Win 10 system works just fine, except for me to save a file in the C; root directory

I can save files from apps to the C:\, and if I save the same file again, it tells me it exists and if I want to overwrite it, so it is indeed saved to the root directory.

In windows explorer I can't see those saved files in the root directory.

Any suggestions?

fussybob, Nov 10, 2018
  4. acmanten Win User

Where are Windows TEN "restore files" saved/stored on Windows 10

Is there an info file showing steps 1,2,3,4,etc what is suggested to be done, saved, and or backed-up right after a new Upgrade to Win 10 has been done.

Thanks for your comments..

acmanten, Nov 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows only lets me save new files to C: - Similar Threads - lets save files

2. Why is my HP Desktop not letting me save any files or only opening them as "Read Only" &...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my HP Desktop not letting me save any files or only opening them as "Read Only" &...: I updated my computer at work to Windows 11 yesterday & immediately after the update, I have had issues with things saving or not having access. I also cannot open any of my files without them coming up as "Read Only". The "Read Only" filter is not selected on any of said...
  3. Why is my HP Desktop not letting me save any files or only opening them as "Read Only" &...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my HP Desktop not letting me save any files or only opening them as "Read Only" &...: I updated my computer at work to Windows 11 yesterday & immediately after the update, I have had issues with things saving or not having access. I also cannot open any of my files without them coming up as "Read Only". The "Read Only" filter is not selected on any of said...
  4. My computer only lets me save my files online and not on MAC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer only lets me save my files online and not on MAC: I am trying to save to my local MAC and save grays out for local on my mac https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-only-lets-me-save-my-files-online-and/b76e472e-6273-4717-8684-6183acf59517
  5. My computer only lets me save my files online and not on MAC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer only lets me save my files online and not on MAC: I am trying to save to my local MAC and save grays out for local on my mac https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-only-lets-me-save-my-files-online-and/b76e472e-6273-4717-8684-6183acf59517
  6. Save As make file save as a "All Files*.*" and wont let me choose what to save it as.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save As make file save as a "All Files*.*" and wont let me choose what to save it as.: Whenever I right click on an image and attempt to save the file it either attempts to save as a ".tif" or "All Files*.*" which NEITHER one I can then simply open... I want to save photos as Jpegs without having to download some weird ad-on to google chrome....
  7. Doesn't allow me to save files in c drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Doesn't allow me to save files in c drive: Recently I got a computer and had an nvme drive installed. There were oddaties, I had one big file which I preferred if it didn't change it's location so they had to split drives and so on and so forths anyways I'm trying to save a file in c but I'm getting a prompt saying...
  8. Windows 10 won't let me save files in Program Files

Windows 10 won't let me save files in Program Files: The pop-up message says I need to contact the administrator, but I actually am the Administrator for my computer, and I want to save certain files specifically to the Program Files folder....
  9. Changed computer and the new computer is not letting me run or access games/files saved to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed computer and the new computer is not letting me run or access games/files saved to...: As the title states, i got a new computer and I had my window store games saved to an external drive. When trying to run/modify any games or files the computer wont let me even after granting myself perms to do so. Any ways to fix this, ideally i'd like to remove them from...
  10. PC not letting me save ANY image files?

PC not letting me save ANY image files?: My computer is not letting me save any image files. Every time I click the "save" or "save as" prompts nothing happens, it doesn't bring up any folder, or prompt to name the file. I've tried restarting, completely shutting off, and deleting excess documents off my pc, nothing...