Windows 10: Windows only recognizing one audio device

Discus and support Windows only recognizing one audio device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've had my Acer laptop for 4 years and had this problem since the beginning, but today another very big problem resurfaced and I feel like the only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nradoto, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Nradoto Win User

Windows only recognizing one audio device

I've had my Acer laptop for 4 years and had this problem since the beginning, but today another very big problem resurfaced and I feel like the only solution is solving this specific problem.I have the Realtek HD Audio driver and in my sound settings both my playback and recording devices are listed as in the picture below. The issue is, whenever I plug in any other audio device, like a headset or phone headphones or anything, it doesn't add a new device, instead it just lists them as "Realtek High Definition Audio". The device still works or used to until today but it's not listed as its ow

:)

Nradoto, Apr 22, 2021
  2. netter Win User

No audio output device

Hello!
    I have a common problem: my Windows 10 has No Audio Output Device.
    System configuration:
    • Lenovo Legion Y520-15IKBN (laptop)
    • Windows 10 Pro, version 1909, build 18363.535;
    • Current updates;
    Device manager shows these audio devices:
    • High Definition Audio Device (driver version 10.0.18362.356)
    • Intel Display Audio (10.27.0.6)
    • ASUS Xonar U3 (10.0.8.2164)
    i.e. the problem persists even with an external (USB) audio device, recognized by the system.

I performed a sanity check on this issue. Sound works when I boot into Ubuntu live. Therefore, it is not a hardware problem, and is indeed a Windows problem.

Solutions that have not worked so far:
    1. Audio troubleshooter (issues found: check audio device, nothing else)
    2. Rolling back drivers
    3. Uninstalling audio devices
    4. Uninstalling any audio-related devices, incl. the likes of bluetooth speakers
    5. Updating audio drivers (from both built-in drivers and from manufacturer's site)
    6. Installing a generic audio device (installing a generic USB audio device does not succeed, and installing a generic Realtek device resulted in a BSOD)

Do you have any ideas for fixing this?

netter, Apr 22, 2021
  3. Windows not recognizing motherboard audio device

If the HD Audio device only appears in Device Manager as a Hidden Device (it displays with a transparent icon) then, yes, Windows is not detecting the device. Could be the chip failed. But here's a trick that sometimes works....

HD audio connects like this:Windows <===> HD Audio Controller <=======> HD Audio Device
    Your HD audio device connects downstream to an Audio Controller. Sometimes the controller needs to be reset.

Look in Device Manager under System Devices. Do you find a device named something like "High Def Audio Controller" or "Realtek HD Audio Controller"?
    • If not there, it's the controller that failed
    • If you find the HD audio controller:
      • Right click it, select Uninstall. If asked, do not choose to delete driver files.
      • Reboot. The driver will reinstall and the audio controller will attempt to re-detect the HD audio device. Does it find it this time?

If that doesn't work, i'd also check if any BIOS updates.

ComputerGeek, Apr 22, 2021
  4. Arun B J Win User

USB Audio device not recognized on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check, if it helps:

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your touch pad. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter
    Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Apr 22, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows only recognizing one audio device - Similar Threads - recognizing audio device

2. USB Audio device not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Audio device not recognized: I have a usb audio converter device that the company says is self install using native usb 1 audio drivers and they have never had an issue with install. I have tried on my Windows 10 desktop as well as a Windows 10 laptop and the device shows up as unknown but no drivers...
  3. USB Audio device not recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Audio device not recognized: I have a usb audio converter device that the company says is self install using native usb 1 audio drivers and they have never had an issue with install. I have tried on my Windows 10 desktop as well as a Windows 10 laptop and the device shows up as unknown but no drivers...
  4. USB Audio device not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. only recognizing one display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    only recognizing one display: the displays work seapratly no mater the displayport they are plugged in on the graphics card. But together only one gets recognizedalwasy the same one, if I only plug in the other it will work if I then add the second and restart it can't detect the first one anymore. Trying...
  6. only recognizing one display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    only recognizing one display: the displays work seapratly no mater the displayport they are plugged in on the graphics card. But together only one gets recognizedalwasy the same one, if I only plug in the other it will work if I then add the second and restart it can't detect the first one anymore. Trying...
  7. only recognizing one display

8. Audio in one channel only, for only one application...

Audio in one channel only, for only one application...: I am mystified: My best guess is that the problem is related to Windows option update KB5004296, a couple of weeks ago, because onset of problem coincided. I run Windows 10 Pro and audio through an EVGA NuAudio card, and I watch tv through the MediaPortal interface, through a...
  9. Audio device not recognized

Audio device not recognized: Hi, so yesterday 3/30/2021 I updated my windows 10 to the latest version and when the update finished and my computer restarted my audio device stopped getting recognized. I have a laptop so every device is internal, I´ve checked de drivers and reinstalled many of them and...
  10. Windows not recognizing motherboard audio device

Windows not recognizing motherboard audio device: My computer has been working fine since a few weeks ago when I got it, but last night I booted it up, and Realtek HD Audio Manager failed to load with the computer. I tried to open it manually, but it never came up. I restarted, same problem. I checked on my playback devices,...