Windows 10: Windows only works when external hdd drive that had ISO is connect to laptop

Discus and support Windows only works when external hdd drive that had ISO is connect to laptop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So my Lenovo think pad boots up perfectly when my external hdd that has a windows 10 iso is there but when I disconnect it everything crashes and I get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Desperate_Candy6779, May 16, 2022.

1. Windows only works when external hdd drive that had ISO is connect to laptop

So my Lenovo think pad boots up perfectly when my external hdd that has a windows 10 iso is there but when I disconnect it everything crashes and I get a boot loop without it please help

submitted by /u/Desperate_Candy6779
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Desperate_Candy6779, May 16, 2022
  2. Robfusc8 Win User

Quirky behaviour with external HDD

Hi,

In response to your questions

• Are all of the external drives from the same manufacturer?
    Yes, they are all Seagate SRDO0F1 of 500GB

• Have you attempted to restart the computer that could not read the external drive and also try to connect the external drive to a different port on the computer after testing the external drive on another computer?
    Yes to both, neither worked.

• Were there any recent changes made or updates installed prior to the issue occurring?
    No. PC-B is not permanently connected to the 'net.

I have used to 'Device manager' to check if there is an identified driver problem - nothing is flagged - and I would not expect one HDD to work, and the other not to, if there was a driver problem

Robfusc8, May 16, 2022
  3. dr_dream Win User
    Internal Hard Drive or External Hard Drive? (For my laptop!)

I all depend on what you need. Do you need lot of space for personal files which you always wanna have with you and your laptop, or do you have lots of movies, ISOs that you use on several devices (laptop, dvd player, other computers..).
    For the first need I recommend an internal drive, while for the second demand it would be best to have an external HDD (which also needs a power connection, don't forget that, because it's not that easy to always carry an external unit with you and your laptop)

If you want a good internal drive, also very good for booting purposes, I'd recommend the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid drive which combines a 500GB HDD with a 4GB SDD memory

dr_dream, May 16, 2022
  4. dermy Win User

Windows only works when external hdd drive that had ISO is connect to laptop

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, May 16, 2022
Thema:

Windows only works when external hdd drive that had ISO is connect to laptop

1. Windows only works when external hdd drive that had ISO is connect to laptop - Similar Threads - works external hdd

2. Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting external HDD as Network drive with router repeater: Dear Community, I am having problem connecting my external HDD as Network drive. I managed to connect my pen drive as network drive on the same router but when i replace Pen drive with my External drive I get error message saying as follows, [ATTACH] My Pen drive has...
  3. Windows Hello only works with external camera when laptop is open

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello only works with external camera when laptop is open: Hello! I have a Surface laptop 3 connected to a Surface Dock original one connected to 2 monitors for my WFH office setup. I recently picked up a Logitech Brio with the hopes I can simply leave the laptop closed. Everything seems to work just fine. The camera works great...
  4. Only one external hard drive shows when two are connected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Only one external hard drive shows when two are connected: Windows 10 Version: 1909 This is the second day of having my new Dell G15 laptop. I have two identical Samsung 2TB external hard drives. I want to connect two drives to transfer some files from one to another. It can't be done: The other drive does not show. It could be the...
  5. External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors...

External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors...: Hello all, I'm hoping that someone here can help me with a serious problem. I would very much appreciate any help. It all started with a big Windows update last week. Afterwards the hard drive was no longer recognised as NTFS and was labelled RAW. I couldn't repair the...
  6. Anyone had this happen? External Hard Drive set to Read Only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone had this happen? External Hard Drive set to Read Only: [IMG] submitted by /u/sketchiegamer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g74yeb/anyone_had_this_happen_external_hard_drive_set_to/
  7. File association error when connecting external HDD

File association error when connecting external HDD: I keep getting the error: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action" when I connect my Toshiba external hard drive which is just under 1TB (931GB) in storage capacity. The hard drive works completely fine and is recognised by the...
  8. connecting external hard drives to laptop

connecting external hard drives to laptop: is it possible to connect three external hard drives thru one usb socket and if it is, what connector do I need 50269
  9. 2GB external hdd backup is recognized as only 260mb drive...

2GB external hdd backup is recognized as only 260mb drive...: I have a 1.8 GB backup (G) hdd that is showing up in this computer as 260mb (see screen shot) When I opened it up in in Disk Management it diagrams the drive into 2 partitions The first partition is unlabeled and shows as 260mb and the second partition shows as 1863 GB....
  10. One drive on external hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    One drive on external hdd: My new computer has a tiny internal hdd so I want to put my one drive on my external hdd. How do I do that? By the way I just ordered the new computer so I do not have it yet. 89186