Windows 10: Windows open as tiny slivers on Second Monitor

Discus and support Windows open as tiny slivers on Second Monitor in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I use a work computer that has a 1920x1080 display, and use a second monitor at 4K. I routinely experience an issue where when the computer has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bheiser1, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Windows open as tiny slivers on Second Monitor

I use a work computer that has a 1920x1080 display, and use a second monitor at 4K. I routinely experience an issue where when the computer has hibernated (e.g. I’ve stepped away & returned), many of the windows open as either very tiny windows, or as barely perceptible slivers , usually in the upper left corner of the (4K) display.

As I’ve searched for solutions, I’ve seen this same question asked many, many times, over many many years, even way back to Windows 7 days, so it’s incomprehensible how it hasn’t yet been resolved. Apparently a usable interface isn’t a priority(?).

Snark aside, is there a solution to this that I haven’t found in my searches? I paid for and used DisplayFusion for a while, and it helped a little (though it still occurred), and it has quirks of its own, so I don’t have it installed now (now I work for a company that would frown on me installing 3rd party software).

This seems like a very common, and very basic issue ... and I find myself wondering how many hours (days?) I waste over the course of a year, hunting for and resizing windows multiple times each day, and sometimes being late for meetings or other activities because I can’t find the relevant window amongst the stack of “slivers”.

TIA!

submitted by /u/bheiser1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bheiser1, Dec 3, 2020

2. Open Edge On Second Monitor By Default

jnsanderson, Dec 3, 2020
  3. coolCAD Win User
    Two Monitors

Thanks RWOne. I've extended my primary monitor, opened an Acrobat file, but can't figure out how to drag it to the second monitor. I've been dragging it but nothing happens. The Acrobat icon is open on the second monitor but I can't get my cursor over there to click on it. I'm obviously missing one tiny critical step . . . .

coolCAD, Dec 3, 2020
  4. Windows open as tiny slivers on Second Monitor

Second monitor not detected after update

Hi Tom,

There are several reasons that could have caused the issue you are experiencing. One of these is the update you previously performed in Windows, either it was not configured properly by the system or the update components were corrupted. Kindly answer the
    following questions for clarification:

• Have you tried updating the monitor and display drivers?
    • Have you tried to use another user profile to check if the issue re-occurs?

Furthermore, we suggest that you add the other monitor manually. This is to ensure that the second monitor is still connected after the update. Here are the steps:

• Type connected devices and open Connected Devices on the
      Windows Search bar.
    • Click Add devices.
    • Select the Second screen.
    • Pick one of the 3 options: Duplicate, Extend, and the Second screen only.
    • The Duplicate option will duplicate the primary display to secondary display.
    • The Extend option will unite two monitors so you can use them both as one.
    • The Second screen only option will, obviously, disable primary and use only the secondary monitor.
    • Once you’ve chosen the preferred mode, save changes.

We're looking forward to your response.

PreciousLeb, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows open as tiny slivers on Second Monitor

1. Windows open as tiny slivers on Second Monitor - Similar Threads - open tiny slivers

2. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: I have exactly the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-opens-programs-on-a-second-monitor-that-is/a62c1f88-14dd-49c3-b0c5-95243e821657...
  3. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: I have exactly the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-opens-programs-on-a-second-monitor-that-is/a62c1f88-14dd-49c3-b0c5-95243e821657...
  4. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: My search browser opens on a second monitor that isnt plugged in on Windows 11, I have tried everything the support articles recommended but it doesn't help....
  6. Second Monitor issues - There is no second monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second Monitor issues - There is no second monitor: I have had Windows 10 for a while but now for some reason it thinks I have two monitors (which I dont) and when I try to troubleshoot and go through settings, the settings window is now opening on this invisible second monitor.. Anyone know what to do? I'm not that great...
  7. Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged: Few programs keep opening windows to unplugged monitor on Windows 10 I have checked Windows screen settings and nvidia settings and everything points to that i only have 1 monitor and only 1 monitor is displayed....
  8. Open Sticky Notes on Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open Sticky Notes on Second Monitor: Please advise on how to open "Sticky Notes" on a second monitor by default. Using Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/open-sticky-notes-on-second-monitor/6c54355b-e03b-4c5e-a34d-1af9c722984c
  9. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, after undocking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, after undocking: 1.Plugin your laptop to a docking station 2.Connect to this station one or two monitors. (I have connected two monitors) 3.Open on each monitor an app I have opened on a monitor the "Licecap" app , on the second one "Firefox" browser + "RocketChat" , on the third one (the...
  10. Will Edge ever open in second monitor

in Browsers and Email
    Will Edge ever open in second monitor: What's your take on this. I know 'metro' apps only open in the primary monitor but I'd need this to be implemented. It's a deal killer as far as Edge is concerned. 11973