Windows 10: Windows open in Taskbar but not on Desktop

Discus and support Windows open in Taskbar but not on Desktop in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This has happened before but forgot what I did to correct it. Programs will open in task bar but will not open on desktop. When I hover over the icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by CharlesSharits, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Windows open in Taskbar but not on Desktop

This has happened before but forgot what I did to correct it. Programs will open in task bar but will not open on desktop. When I hover over the icon for the program it shows above task bar. How do I fix it.

:)

CharlesSharits, Sep 28, 2020

2. Taskbar hides and shows itself after opening start menu.

Steps:

1. Using HDMI for a second monitor.
    2. Open start menu using the icon.
    3. Close start menu using the icon.
    4. Click anywhere other than the task bars. (e.g. an open window, the desktop, even the first monitor's desktop)
    5. Taskbar on second monitor slides down to be hidden.
    6. Taskbar then immediately slides up to reappear.

If after closing the start menu (step 3), you click on the taskbar, then click outside the taskbar, this behavior does not occur.

Performing the steps on the main monitor's taskbar does not produce this behavior.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember using this laptop (~3years), with different nVidia drivers and Windows 10 updates.

Dreaming Void, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Gusgf Win User

Windows open in Taskbar but not on Desktop

Gusgf, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows open in Taskbar but not on Desktop

1. Windows open in Taskbar but not on Desktop - Similar Threads - open Taskbar Desktop

2. When I click on an open app on my Taskbar it doesn't open on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I click on an open app on my Taskbar it doesn't open on desktop: When I click on the Microsoft edge icon on the Taskbar it doesn't open on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-click-on-an-open-app-on-my-taskbar-it/9bc7fc4c-6c95-4da1-875d-9a55557709da
  3. Desktop icons won't open programs, taskbar will.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons won't open programs, taskbar will.: Hello; This is a new build for my daughter. Version Build 19041. Initially, icons opened files with no problem. After a couple of restarts, none will work. If I pin any of them to the taskbar, they open just fine. Same goes for opening them from the start menu. Of course,...
  4. open windows and taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    open windows and taskbar: when I click on a window in the Taskbar, and then move my mouse cusor the window snps back to the Taskbar. Help Please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-windows-and-taskbar/106ee29f-6db1-446c-8799-fd6a23f6b4d6
  5. Windows 10 Taskbar and Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Taskbar and Desktop: How do I increase the size of the icons on my task bar and how do I make my desktop slightly smaller as the end of the task bar to click for desktop is not accessible?...
  6. Windows desktop and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows desktop and taskbar not working: My girlfriend uninstalled solidworks and the software told her to restart the laptop so she did and when it restarted. The desktop items were missing, the taskbar icons are gone and when you hover your mouse over it, it just loads. I tried booting on safe mode but that didn't...
  7. explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    explorer.exe will not open from taskbar or a desktop shortcut: Whenever I try to open File Explorer from Start, Taskbar or a Desktop Shortcut, it will either: 1. Not Open but run in the background as I checked in Task Manager 2. Give me an error box saying: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this...
  8. Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop: I upgraded to Windows 10 last night and have had nothing but problems. The biggest one is the fact that I cannot open the start menu, I had worked around it by right clicking it and then selecting what I needed from there. However now that doesn't even work. Any help...
  9. Most Windows will not open but are open on taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Most Windows will not open but are open on taskbar: last week google chrome, my personal file folders, the setting icon and most other icons on my computers stopped opening full windows. I can see they are open in the taskbar, but they will not open into full windows. Complicating efforts, I cannot open my settings - though I...
  10. Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 introduces a new feature called Task View. Task View is a virtual desktop manager that allows you to...