Windows 10: Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

Discus and support Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have already found a solution on this, but I thought it could be helpful for other people struggling with the same problem.A certain app on my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by snorlex, Apr 18, 2024.

1. snorlex Win User

Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

I have already found a solution on this, but I thought it could be helpful for other people struggling with the same problem.A certain app on my laptop didn't seem to notice that my second monitor wasn't connected anymore, so when I launched it the app kept opening on the second screen that I couldn't possibly reach. One solution is to connect the second monitor and drag the app back to your first monitor. But what if you don't have a second monitor to connect? The solution I found is to open an other app that does open on your first monitor e.g. your browser and press Windows + arrow to the

:)

snorlex, Apr 18, 2024
  2. shovel736 Win User

Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

I have a Dell XPS13 laptop. When on my desk, I use a second monitor through a docking station (USB3 Kensington). However, when I undock and go mobile, Windows insists on opening programs on the second monitor, even though it is no longer there and the settings
    shows that the system knows it is disconnected. I can see the "open" program in task switcher, and I get all the usual options to Snap, Move to desktop etc., I just can't see the program window on my actual laptop screen.

To fix this, the only thing I have found is to connect to another monitor, and move the window onto the laptop screen, then disconnect the monitor. Most inconvenient, especially whn on a train!!

How can I prevent this, or at least move the windows to my main screen when it happens, without a second monitor to connect to. Please note, I am NOT talking about a virtual desktop, but a physical monitor.

shovel736, Apr 18, 2024
  3. Ferds_N Win User
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

Hi, I am an Independent Advisor.

Let me help you with this concern.

I understand that the application that you are trying to open up goes to the nonexistent 2nd monitor.

You may be experiencing a ghost monitor, a 2nd monitor that is not connected but getting detected by Windows.

To get this fixed, please follow the steps below.

Please click on the Start menu then type in Control Panel.

Go to Devices and Printers.

Right-click and remove any excess generic PnP monitors from Devices and Printers in the Control Panel.

Then please open Device Manager by right-clicking the Start Menu then open Device Manager from the list.

Expand Monitors, then right-click and uninstall any Generic PnP monitor(s) appearing in Device Manager.

In case the above steps don't work, please visit the support website of your device and then download and install the latest video driver. Please make sure to restart the PC after a successful install.

Ferds_N, Apr 18, 2024
  4. Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that isn't connected

I have a Dell precision m4800 laptop. When on my desk, I use a second monitor through a docking station. However, when I undock and go mobile, Windows insists on opening programs on the second monitor, even though it is no longer there and the settings shows
    that the system knows it is disconnected. I can see the "open" program in task switcher, and I get all the usual options to Snap, Move to desktop etc., I just can't see the program window on my actual laptop screen.

To fix this, the only thing I have found is to connect to another monitor, and move the window onto the laptop screen, then disconnect the monitor. And even this sometimes fails. This is ruining my meetings.

How can I prevent this, or at least move the windows to my main screen when it happens, without a second monitor to connect to. Please note, I am NOT talking about a virtual desktop, but a physical monitor.

Charles_146, Apr 18, 2024
Thema:

Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

1. Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected - Similar Threads - opens program second

2. Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected: I have already found a solution on this, but I thought it could be helpful for other people struggling with the same problem.A certain app on my laptop didn't seem to notice that my second monitor wasn't connected anymore, so when I launched it the app kept opening on the...
  3. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: I have exactly the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-opens-programs-on-a-second-monitor-that-is/a62c1f88-14dd-49c3-b0c5-95243e821657...
  4. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: I have exactly the same problem as described in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-opens-programs-on-a-second-monitor-that-is/a62c1f88-14dd-49c3-b0c5-95243e821657...
  5. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

6. Windows 11 opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: My search browser opens on a second monitor that isnt plugged in on Windows 11, I have tried everything the support articles recommended but it doesn't help....
  7. Windows 11 opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected

Windows 11 opens programs on a second monitor, that is not connected: My search browser opens on a second monitor that isnt plugged in on Windows 11, I have tried everything the support articles recommended but it doesn't help....
  8. Programs crash when opened on second monitor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Programs crash when opened on second monitor.: I'm running a Dual Monitor setup with the extended setting, and it works perfect except for one thing: any program that tries to start itself up on the second screen freezes and doesn't start up. I have no problems moving programs that are already opened around, and can...
  9. Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs open to second monitor that is not plugged: Few programs keep opening windows to unplugged monitor on Windows 10 I have checked Windows screen settings and nvidia settings and everything points to that i only have 1 monitor and only 1 monitor is displayed....
  10. Windows opens programs on a second monitor, after undocking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows opens programs on a second monitor, after undocking: 1.Plugin your laptop to a docking station 2.Connect to this station one or two monitors. (I have connected two monitors) 3.Open on each monitor an app I have opened on a monitor the "Licecap" app , on the second one "Firefox" browser + "RocketChat" , on the third one (the...