Windows 10: Windows OpenSSH

Discus and support Windows OpenSSH in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm really excited about windows "baking" OpenSSH into windows 10 but I've had many problems and questions about it Is there any official... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Falmz23, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Windows OpenSSH

I'm really excited about windows "baking" OpenSSH into windows 10 but I've had many problems and questions about it

1. Is there any official documentation discussing it's limitations, capabilities e.t.c? I tried searching their website but couldn't find anything good enough.
    2. Several commands do not work or show that they do. An example is the start command. I tried to use it several times without anything happening or the terminal throwing an error. Recently, I tried to stream a video through VLC and I could hear audio playing in the background WITH NO SIGN OF VLC OR ANYHING RUNNING ON THE SERVER SIDE (idk if this is a bug but this means that some of the .exes I tried to run had been running in the backgound). Are these commands not implemented yet and if not when?
    submitted by /u/Falmz23
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Falmz23, Jan 8, 2020
  2. Diapolo10 Win User

Having trouble getting the built-in OpenSSH server to work

Goal: I'm trying to set up the Windows built-in OpenSSH server (version 0.0.1.0, as I recall that being the latest one) in order to use my desktop PC remotely should I have the need for raw performance when on the road through a Windows
    10 laptop.

Problem: Despite following
    the official guide
    to the letter, when I try to run "Start-Service sshd" in PowerShell I get this error:

Code:
        Start-Service : Service 'OpenSSH SSH Server (sshd)' cannot be started due to the following error: Palvelun sshd avaamin    en tietokoneessa . epäonnistui.    At line:1 char:1    + Start-Service sshd    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Start-Service],       ServiceCommandException        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand
    If I run the executable without "Start-Service", however, it runs and seemingly waits for connections, but according to the Services tab in Task Manager it's not actually doing anything at all, nor is there an SSH user account associated
    with it.

What I've tried:

• Restarting Windows (after every installation)
    • Uninstalling and re-installing both the server and the client (both from PowerShell and through the Settings application)
    • Switched to local account instead of a Microsoft account (suggested on a forum thread, tried the previous steps again)
    • Using an elevated PowerShell instance with admin rights

System information:

• Windows 10 Home, version 1809, build 17763.379
    • Hardware configuration:
      • CPU: i9-9900k @ 4.9GHz
      • RAM: 32GB 3200MHz DDR4
      • GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080
      • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A, BIOS version 0805

Let me know if other information is required.

Diapolo10, Jan 8, 2020
  3. OpenSSH

is there a simple alternative to the OpenSSH server for Windows xp??

here is my problem

Server install on N900....... Enter Password..... Repeat Password...... install done

OpenSSH Server install on Windows XP........Obtain PHD in Computer science plus obtain further knowledge on the history of computers....... Give up and look for alternative method

foxmeister---01, Jan 8, 2020
  4. MotoX80 Win User

Windows OpenSSH

OpenSSH files

While OpenSSH itself is not malware, it will allow a remote user access to that machine. That could very well be malicious. Especially since he said that he didn't install it.

Is this a work or school pc? If so, check with your support team to see if they installed it. If this is your home pc, then it may have been installed as part of a software bundle. In settings, apps & features, sort the software list by install date. Find
    OpenSSH and see if other software was installed around the same time.

If you don't want to allow remote users access to your pc, then stop and disable it. And periodically check it to see that it stayed disabled.

MotoX80, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

Windows OpenSSH

1. Windows OpenSSH - Similar Threads - OpenSSH

2. OpenSSH not working after upgrading from Windows 10 to 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OpenSSH not working after upgrading from Windows 10 to 11: I had been using OpenSSH to connect successfully to my computer using ssh keys for a long time. I then upgraded my computer with mostly new hardware which made it compatible with Windows 11, so I installed Windows 11. Now SSH connection attempts timeout and I cannot figure...
  3. OpenSSH not working after upgrading from Windows 10 to 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OpenSSH not working after upgrading from Windows 10 to 11: I had been using OpenSSH to connect successfully to my computer using ssh keys for a long time. I then upgraded my computer with mostly new hardware which made it compatible with Windows 11, so I installed Windows 11. Now SSH connection attempts timeout and I cannot figure...
  4. sftp by OpenSSH server on windows 10 doesn't work with multiple drives.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sftp by OpenSSH server on windows 10 doesn't work with multiple drives.: I have an openssh server set up on my windows machine. I set up this for the sftp purpose.the trouble is, I cannot access two drives at the same time.At first the sftp would be at the c-drive. but the primary contents that i wanted to access was in E:, and It seemed...
  5. sftp by OpenSSH server on windows 10 doesn't work with multiple drives.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sftp by OpenSSH server on windows 10 doesn't work with multiple drives.: I have an openssh server set up on my windows machine. I set up this for the sftp purpose.the trouble is, I cannot access two drives at the same time.At first the sftp would be at the c-drive. but the primary contents that i wanted to access was in E:, and It seemed...
  6. sftp by OpenSSH server on windows 10 doesn't work with multiple drives.

7. OpenSSH Server Install - Event ID 1001

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OpenSSH Server Install - Event ID 1001: Good morning, I have attempted to install OpenSSH Server but install has failed. I could not identify any errors withing endpoint security, but I was able to identify event ID 1001 within event viewer. I was able to verify that OpenSSH client was installed. - <Event...
  8. OpenSSH Server Install - Event ID 1001

OpenSSH Server Install - Event ID 1001: Good morning, I have attempted to install OpenSSH Server but install has failed. I could not identify any errors withing endpoint security, but I was able to identify event ID 1001 within event viewer. I was able to verify that OpenSSH client was installed. - <Event...
  9. OpenSSH Server Install - Event ID 1001

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Windows 11 home Openssh broken

Windows 11 home Openssh broken: I use Windows 11 Home on a Dell XPC Desktop box, and installed OpenSSH Client using Windows Settings/App/Optional Features process. Loaded AOK, without any raised errors. I went to the MS Settings/Apps/Optional Features and found that it registered the installation as OpenSSH...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows openssh display X