Windows 10: Windows overwrote files with the same name, and now the old files are deleted/missing

Discus and support Windows overwrote files with the same name, and now the old files are deleted/missing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had a folder full of about 150 files. Maybe half of them shared the same naming format (for example "Finished"). I then selected all of the files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jeremy2099, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Windows overwrote files with the same name, and now the old files are deleted/missing

I had a folder full of about 150 files. Maybe half of them shared the same naming format (for example "Finished"). I then selected all of the files, typed in "Finished", and hit enter, so all files would maintain the same naming format.

The folder automatically refreshes, and it seemed like ~30% of the files went missing.

Instinctively, I pressed CTRL+Z to "Undo" what I just did, Windows prompted me with a warning about files already existing with the same name, so I clicked "Skip", and Windows renamed the files back to their original names -- but because there were already new filenames with the same name, Windows deleted those files (or overwrote them).

So now I went from having probably 150 files to 54 files. The recycle bin is empty. Recovery programs aren't finding anything.

This is on a separate drive as well...

Any suggestions?

:)

Jeremy2099, Nov 7, 2019
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Nov 7, 2019
  3. M3cael Win User
    Only write one number to log file and delete old ones?

Hey,

I'm trying to have some software read from a .text file a number (GPU Temp) but the software will only the first number in a list (Or the first anything)

Is there a way to have to log file delete the previous entries and write the new number in it's place without any headers?

EDIT:

Sorry I'll try again.

I have some webcam software that can read a number (or whatever) from a text file and then it displays the number as an overlay.

See here: http://10.244.193.13:8081/

I was trying to use GPU-z to do this but as it logs as a list the webcam software can't update properly (also it reads the headings of the file and displays them instead)

Is there anyway to alter the logging to only output just the number (GPU Temp) and to delete the old numbers so the new value is the only value in the file.

M3cael, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Windows overwrote files with the same name, and now the old files are deleted/missing

missing ntdlr file

hi. i recently tried to update xp service pack 2 to service pack 3, but for some odd reason it stopped half way and wouldnt finish. so i cancelled and restarted my computer. Well when i restarted it, xp wouldnt boot and it kept saying "File ntdlr is missing. press control + alt + delete to restart" (I believe that is the correct file name)

so if you do that it just continues to make a circle. is there any way i can use my xp disk to repair and add this file. if so, how?

or is there any alternate options.

thanks for the help.

Pitchblack1110, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Windows overwrote files with the same name, and now the old files are deleted/missing

1. Windows overwrote files with the same name, and now the old files are deleted/missing - Similar Threads - overwrote files same

2. .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?: I tried to move a file Spore.iso into a folder called Spore on an exFAT formatted sd card and it threw Error 0x80070570, so i moved the iso to the sd card, where the Spore folder was and it was fine, when i tried to move it from the sd card to the Spore folder, it threw...
  3. .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?: I tried to move a file Spore.iso into a folder called Spore on an exFAT formatted sd card and it threw Error 0x80070570, so i moved the iso to the sd card, where the Spore folder was and it was fine, when i tried to move it from the sd card to the Spore folder, it threw...
  4. .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Keep files with the same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep files with the same name: I regularly have documents with the same name that I need to transfer to a folder and I want to select the option to not skip any files with the same name and just have them automatically renamed, rather than having to choose to keep both files each time....
  6. 2 Files with the same name.

2 Files with the same name.: [ATTACH]So I am trying to replace some textures for an aircraft and I was able to replace the first file but the 2nd one I needed to replace has the exact same name as the first one. And when I try to paste the replacement for the 2nd file, it overwrites the first one....
  7. Does copying folders delete older files in old folder with the same name?

Does copying folders delete older files in old folder with the same name?: I create back-ups manually, with the exception of deleting massive files from the drive/pc that I created a back-up from. Now I find it easy to just ctrl+c/v everything, but what happens with older files in the old folder I replace with the new one? Does it "delete" the...
  8. old file is missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    old file is missing: I had a problem in my pc, "we can't sign into your account", I create an another account and I save all my files in that account, after restart the computer is back to its problem "we can't sign into your account" again, and my files is went missing. I cant find it. I decide...
  9. Folder "Search" not deleting old file names

Folder "Search" not deleting old file names: For some reason my computer isn't deleting old file names. Example: I have a picture named "Bob 1.0". I then change the name to "Bob 2.0". I then move that picture from Folder 1A to Folder 2B. When I do a search for "Bob" I get three results: I get "Bob 1.0", "Bob 2.0" in...
  10. Multiple files with same name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple files with same name: Here's one that is a total mystery to me: The last couple of days I have been working on a file made with MS Word. It was a letter that I have been working of for a couple of days. I edited and changed the file several times and put it in two different folders. I wasn't sure...