Windows 10: Windows Package Manager 1.0 final is out

Discus and support Windows Package Manager 1.0 final is out in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released the first stable version of Windows Package Manager, a tool to install and manage programs efficiently on Windows 10 machines. Many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 27, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows Package Manager 1.0 final is out

Microsoft released the first stable version of Windows Package Manager, a tool to install and manage programs efficiently on Windows 10 machines.

Many things have changed since our first look at Winget, wish we published in May 2020.

At its core, it is still a package manager that you may know from other operating systems. Windows users may compare it to program installers such as Ninite, Scoop, or just-install, which offer similar functionality but are maintained by third-parties.

Windows Package Manager 1.0

Windows Package Manager 1.0 final is out windows-package-manager-1.0-winget.png

Windows Package Manager is a command line tool. You may check out Winstall, which is a web GUI for the package manager, if you prefer graphical user interfaces.

Installation is straightforward: the program is distributed with App Installer, which you can download and install from the Microsoft Store. You may also download the latest version from the project's GitHub repository instead and install it that way.

Open a PowerShell terminal window after installation, e.g. by selecting Start, typing PowerShell, and selecting the entry, and run winget to display all available parameters.

The ones that you may be using the most are install, uninstall and search. Winget comes without option to display all available programs that you may install, check out the Community Repo here.

Use winget search to find packages of interest. All packages of the community repo are tagged, and you may search for program names or types to find specific applications to install.

A search for video returns several dozen entries, including popular programs such as PotPlayer, YouTube DL GUI, SMPlayer, VLC Media Player, OpenShot, K-Lite Codec Packs, and more. The community repo hosts more than 1500 different programs at the time.

Windows Package Manager 1.0 final is out winget-install.png

If you have spotted a package that you would like to install, use winget install to do so. Just look at the name of the package, and add it as a parameter to the command, e.g. winget install OpenShot; this downloads and installs the OpenShot program on the system.

Install supports parameters to customize the installation, e.g. -h to run the installer in silent mode or -o to create a log file.

Use the upgrade command to check for available upgrades. The command winget upgrade checks for upgrades for all installed programs, even those not installed by the package manager but through other means on the system. Run winget upgrade -all to upgrade all programs with updates at once, or winget upgrade PACKAGENAME to upgrade only the specified package.

The uninstall command finally removes a package from the system. It works just like the install command, but will remove the selected application from the device.

System administrators may download and use policies, and use additional commands and options, including the ability to host private repositories or installing local packages.

A command reference is available on Microsoft's Docs website. Thee you find a tutorial on using a script to install multiple applications in one go using winget.

Closing Words

Winget is a powerful package manager for Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system that gives home users and administrators a new tool at hand to install and manage software programs.

Whether it will play a role in the upcoming Store changes remains to be seen. Microsoft plans to lift restrictions to improve the popularity of its Store.

Now You: have you tried winget? What is your experience?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows Package Manager 1.0 final is out appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 27, 2021

2. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, May 27, 2021
  3. csatennis Win User
    Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, May 27, 2021
  4. malware Win User

Intel Updates Core 2 Quad Q9550 to E-0 Stepping

We continue our Monday news list with another Intel story that brings to our attention information concerning the company and more specificly its 2.83GHz Core 2 Quad Q9550 chips that will move from the current C-1 to the newer E-0 stepping. The updated chips will start selling on August 22nd, featuring the following changes:
    • New SSpec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • CPUID will change from 0x10677 to 0x1067A
    • Package change to Halide free package
    Apart from that, the new stepping CPUs will not include any other changes. Of course, like most new stepping parts a BIOS update will be needed.

Product Change Notification 108663 - 00

Source: TechConnect Magazine

malware, May 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Package Manager 1.0 final is out - Similar Threads - Package Manager final

2. Is it possible for windows package manager/winget to be compromised and push out an update...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible for windows package manager/winget to be compromised and push out an update...: I updated discord using winget and received this error I've never seen before. Why is half the Discord name in another language? I couldn't fix this problem without deleting the discord folders in the local and roaming appdata directories, then I couldn't install it again...
  3. Is it possible for windows package manager/winget to be compromised and push out an update...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible for windows package manager/winget to be compromised and push out an update...: I updated discord using winget and received this error I've never seen before. Why is half the Discord name in another language? I couldn't fix this problem without deleting the discord folders in the local and roaming appdata directories, then I couldn't install it again...
  4. Winget package manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Winget package manager: Are the things posted on the Winget package manager virus checked and from the official devs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/winget-package-manager/16e06856-307e-4569-b63e-d2266e0286bb
  5. Is there a tutorial to submit packages in Windows package manager winget?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a tutorial to submit packages in Windows package manager winget?: Is there is a tutorial to submit packages in windows package manager winget???It is urgentI have only one day*Original title: Help me!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-tutorial-to-submit-packages-in-windows/f3c6d9be-a0ce-4eb2-b179-2b57bbf6eebd
  6. Windows Package Manager v0.2.10771 Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Package Manager v0.2.10771 Preview: This release includes a few new features as well as some improvements and bug fixes. The most noteworthy new experimental feature is winget import. You can pass a properly formatted JSON file using import, and the Windows Package Manager will install multiple packages with...
  7. Disk Management as Disk 0 and Disk 1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management as Disk 0 and Disk 1: My computer contained an OS Boot C SSD and a regular OEM HDD hard drive. I recently updated my 256GB OEM SSD to a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe - M2. After cloning my old OEN SSD using Samsung Data Migration Tool to the new disk, and replacing the old one with the new...
  8. First look at the Windows Package Manager

in Windows 10 News
    First look at the Windows Package Manager: Microsoft released a preview of the Windows Package Manager today during the virtual Build 2020 conference. Windows administrators may use it to install first-party and third-party programs such as 7-Zip, KeePass, Arduino IDE, or Discord. The package manager, similar to...
  9. Windows 10 is finally getting its own Package Manager

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 is finally getting its own Package Manager: For years, users have been trained to download and run .exe, .msi applications, and then go through the long installation process where you have to choose the path and click on ‘next’ multiple times. The process is time-consuming and it requires manual interaction. Today,...
  10. Windows 1 0 Reset recovery

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 1 0 Reset recovery: Hello, I recently had a problem with a company/hacker telling me I had to pay 400+ to get my key to operate my windows again after a trial period. I had also phone calls telling me the same. it warned me not to exit the screen, go to another site etc. or all would be...