Windows 10: Windows partition corrupted

Discus and support Windows partition corrupted in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello. When I try to boot from windows, it gives me a error on the folder /EFI/BOOT/BCD. I have tried fixing it through ubuntu, but the partition is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by FrançoisSilver, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Windows partition corrupted

Hello. When I try to boot from windows, it gives me a error on the folder /EFI/BOOT/BCD.

I have tried fixing it through ubuntu, but the partition is corrupted ( as the title says).

Is there any way to fix it?

Specs:

Hp 250 G5 notebook

windows triple boot with linux mint and zorin os

intel i3

:)

FrançoisSilver, Dec 17, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 17, 2018
  3. Caian Win User
    Windows 10 updates are corrupting my C:\ partition

Hello, better describing what was explained above:

I don't know if there were any error messages during the update because Windows was set to reboot in the middle of the night.

When booting Windows starts an automatic repair (every time), the repair will fail and it will go to the Advanced Startup.

Inside Troubleshoot option of Advanced Startup:

• System Restore: It cannot find any restore point (likely because partition is corrupted)
    • System Image Recovery: It cannot restore the system without using a Windows 10 image burned to a USB Stick or DVD (looks like the Restore partition was damaged by the update)

Inside Command Prompt:

• I cannot 'cd' to Windows partition, it appears corrupted
    • I can 'cd' to Restore partition just fine
    • I can use chkdsk to fix the Windows partition (it says the primary MFT is corrupted and it recovers the backup MFT), but only to recover my personal files, because if I reboot the computer, Windows tries to automatically repair the system and ends up corrupting
      the partition again.
    The only viable solution is to fix the partition, recover my files while in Command Prompt, download a Windows 10 image using another OS / computer and reinstall Windows manually.

It happened when updating to Anniversary (solved by manually reinstalling Windows) and again when updating to Creators.

Caian, Dec 17, 2018
  4. Windows partition corrupted

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

Windows partition corrupted

1. Windows partition corrupted - Similar Threads - partition corrupted

2. How can I recover a usb partition when the usb is very very corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I recover a usb partition when the usb is very very corrupted: I am using a Sandisk 8 GB USB flash drive the drive is corrupted also if I plug in the USB it hangs on my computer I can do nothing - I can not use Format, File Explorer, Settings, CMD, and much more. And just for note, i do not care about the data in the USB drive so you can...
  3. How can I recover a usb partition when the usb is very very corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I recover a usb partition when the usb is very very corrupted: I am using a Sandisk 8 GB USB flash drive the drive is corrupted also if I plug in the USB it hangs on my computer I can do nothing - I can not use Format, File Explorer, Settings, CMD, and much more. And just for note, i do not care about the data in the USB drive so you can...
  4. Corrupted windows partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted windows partition: Now my windows partition C is corrupted with no reasonI have literally left my laptop on sleep state by turning the screen panel off, and when I opened it the laptop was in bios recoveryIs there any hope this partition going to be fixedI tried chkdsk c: /f /r but it...
  5. Corrupted windows partition

Corrupted windows partition: Now my windows partition C is corrupted with no reasonI have literally left my laptop on sleep state by turning the screen panel off, and when I opened it the laptop was in bios recoveryIs there any hope this partition going to be fixedI tried chkdsk c: /f /r but it...
  6. How can I repair my corrupted Windows 11 partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I repair my corrupted Windows 11 partition?: Hi. My SSD with Windows 11 got corrupted and wont boot. When trying to repair using Windows repair media I get an error "disk is currently write protected". I have data on this disk that is not backed up yet, I don't mind reinstalling Windows but I would like to back up my...
  7. How can I repair my corrupted Windows 11 partition?

How can I repair my corrupted Windows 11 partition?: Hi. My SSD with Windows 11 got corrupted and wont boot. When trying to repair using Windows repair media I get an error "disk is currently write protected". I have data on this disk that is not backed up yet, I don't mind reinstalling Windows but I would like to back up my...
  8. Resizing exFAT partition with Windows results in corruption of drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resizing exFAT partition with Windows results in corruption of drive?: Resizing a drive's exFAT partition with Windows 11 results in corruption of drive and loss of data.Steps:1. Insert flash drive. Use an empty spare. Warning: Data may be lost!2. Format drive to exFAT file system.3. Go to Windows Settings, System, Storage, Storage management,...
  9. Resizing exFAT partition with Windows results in corruption of drive?

Resizing exFAT partition with Windows results in corruption of drive?: Resizing a drive's exFAT partition with Windows 11 results in corruption of drive and loss of data.Steps:1. Insert flash drive. Use an empty spare. Warning: Data may be lost!2. Format drive to exFAT file system.3. Go to Windows Settings, System, Storage, Storage management,...
  10. chkdsk corrupted an NTFS partition and can't seem to repair it

chkdsk corrupted an NTFS partition and can't seem to repair it: Hi, about two days ago I used a system drive from one PC on another PC to store some important data on one of its partitions. This drive was then chkdsk'd by the Windows install on it when I plugged it back into the original PC, which then somehow corrupted the NTFS partition...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. efi boot partition corrupted with windows 109 update

2. system restore says partition corrupted

3. windows 10 unable to mount corrupted partition