Windows 10: Windows Partitioning did a derp?

Discus and support Windows Partitioning did a derp? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had to re-install windows 10 on a newer hard drive due to the older one starting to fail; made backups of all my files and stuff, and made a windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BrokenDaily, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Windows Partitioning did a derp?

I had to re-install windows 10 on a newer hard drive due to the older one starting to fail; made backups of all my files and stuff, and made a windows 10 usb stick; while installing, I selected my new HDD for the C:\ install, and when after all was said and done I booted up the disk management console

From what I remember it puts 3 partitions onto your install drive (main, recovery, and some 100 mb system partiton), so when I looked at the disk management console and the recovery and efi system partition went on my 32 gb ssd. Somewhere along the line, I must've accidentally deleted my SSD of any partitons and forgot to re-format

Windows Partitioning did a derp? [​IMG]

Now I have minitool partition installed, and I want to know, can I move these 2 partitions back onto my C: drive without breaking anything, or should I re-install instead?

:)

BrokenDaily, Sep 6, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Sep 6, 2018
  3. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Windows Partitioning did a derp?

Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Windows Partitioning did a derp? partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows Partitioning did a derp?

1. Windows Partitioning did a derp? - Similar Threads - Partitioning did derp

2. Why did diskpart specify partition type 05h to an extended partition which is more than...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why did diskpart specify partition type 05h to an extended partition which is more than...: I recently used my Windows 10 laptop to partition a 2TB SATA hard disk drive HDD which was initialized with the Master Boot Record partition style. In particular, I had used diskpart to create one small primary partition marked as active and an extended partition which...
  3. Why did diskpart specify partition type 05h to an extended partition which is more than...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did diskpart specify partition type 05h to an extended partition which is more than...: I recently used my Windows 10 laptop to partition a 2TB SATA hard disk drive HDD which was initialized with the Master Boot Record partition style. In particular, I had used diskpart to create one small primary partition marked as active and an extended partition which...
  4. W10 fails to install, but did make a C: partition.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 fails to install, but did make a C: partition.: Hi I decided to do a fresh install, made a USB stick and booted from it, hopefully that means it's viable. The current latest .ISO that MS do, downloaded the tool and let it do it's work. Windows lists many partitions, because I have a working Linux Mint install et al. It...
  5. Did I delete the Windows Recovery Partition?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Did I delete the Windows Recovery Partition?: Hello and thanks for taking a look at my issue. Attached please see my partitions. Thanks! p.s. I was hoping to reset my install to factory settings and I don't have a recovery CD but I do have my manufacturer's drivers on a CD. [img] 159457
  6. derp virus infected my pc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    derp virus infected my pc: hi, I have got infected my pc with derp virus and who can i decrypt my file with windows antivirus. Imran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/derp-virus-infected-my-pc/47779a84-4c60-433d-8f6f-e00ca242eec5"
  7. .derp Ransomware attack

.derp Ransomware attack: My PC has been affected by .derp ransomware. All files on HDD had been encrypted by .derp extension. Please help me to retrieve/decrypt files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/derp-ransomware-attack/aab29c34-c616-4018-b911-e77bf93f814c
  8. How do I remove Derp virus

How do I remove Derp virus: Split from this thread. Derp virus https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-derp-virus/d2f65331-8825-4975-9f42-96b1e02646cf
  9. Recovery Partition that I did not have with 8.1

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Partition that I did not have with 8.1: I didn't know where else to post this weird one. Did the first Win 10 image on a desktop and noticed a Recovery Partition. On one of two desktops. Both desktops were installed with Windows 7 Pro oem updated to 8.0/8.1/10 which means it never had a Recovery partition to begin...
  10. Language not English: Microsoft / Google derping

in Windows 10 Support
    Language not English: Microsoft / Google derping: I like everything on my PC to be English. Now I am Romanian, and I'm not disrespectful towards my country in any way, but I know English just as well, and I like everything on my PC to be English. I talk to more people that use English on my PC, I use forums that are in...