Windows 10: [Windows Performance Analyzer Tool] : Creating a ROI Region of Interest file where start...

Discus and support [Windows Performance Analyzer Tool] : Creating a ROI Region of Interest file where start... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi All : I am trying to profile the timing between multiple start and stop ETW events using WPAWindows performance analyzer. The challenge here is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AnupYG, Sep 15, 2020.

1. AnupYG Win User

[Windows Performance Analyzer Tool] : Creating a ROI Region of Interest file where start...

Hi All :

I am trying to profile the timing between multiple start and stop ETW events using WPAWindows performance analyzer. The challenge here is they do not come in pair.

Example -> sequence of occurrence of events : -> 1: Start , 2:Start, 1:Stop ....

In the above example, I want to measure the time between 2nd start and the 1st Stop adjacent start and stop events. If I use the std ROI file as given below ROI graph in WPA will show the region between 1st start and 1st stop.

Can anyone here help me how can I create a proper ROI file to get what I need i.e to get region with adjacent start and stop events ?

ROI Region of Interest file :

<RegionRoot Guid="{EFA7A927-BAE3-48F6-92E1-000000000000}"

Name="Custom info"

FriendlyName="Customtime ">

<Region Guid="{d8d639a0-cf4c-45fb-976a-000111000100}"

Name="Root function"

FriendlyName="Function execution">

<Start>

<Event Provider="{dbe9b383-7cf3-4331-91cc-a3cb16a3b538}" Id="1" Version="0" />

<!-- Payload -->

<PayloadIdentifier FieldName="Message" FieldValue="Cutomstart" />

</Start>

<Stop>

<Event Provider="{dbe9b383-7cf3-4331-91cc-a3cb16a3b538}" Id="2" Version="0" />

<!-- Payload -->

<PayloadIdentifier FieldName="Message" FieldValue="Cutomstop" />

</Stop>

<Match>

<Event TID="true">

</Event>

</Match>

</Region>

</RegionRoot>

I was referring to the link to create a region of interest file: MSFT Create ROI

But it was unable to address my problem.

FYI: There are some other methods like extracting the info using wpaexporter.exeinboxed with Windows performance toolkit and then postprocessing the data. But I was wondering if there is a way to do this using the ROI file and viewing the regions in WPA itself. Also, I do agree the event parameters are poorly designed. For now, I will not be able to change it.

:)

AnupYG, Sep 15, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Sep 15, 2020
  3. ddelo Win User
    Windows Performance Analyzer error

I've been trying to run Windows Performance Analyzer to analyze a trace to resolve slow boots.
    The version of the ADK I used to install the Windows Performance Toolkit is the latest one, for Windows 10 1803, as I'm currently on 17134.81.

After running the Windows Performance Recorder, with the command:

Code:
    the ETL file is created normally, with no lost events or buffers.

The reason for using the command prompt to start WPR is because a few times, that I run it from the GUI, I got the error that "The trace has dropped events. Please record this trace again". So to avoid that inconsistency I stick to the command prompt.

When trying to open the created ETL with WPA, I always get an error that events (more than a million of them) are lost.

[Windows Performance Analyzer Tool] : Creating a ROI Region of Interest file where start... [​IMG]

The GeneralProfile that I use (the built-in one), has the following settings:

Collector Name : WPR_initiated_WprApp_WPR System Collector
    Buffer Size (KB) : 1024
    Number of Buffers : 405

Collector Name : WPR_initiated_WprApp_WPR Event Collector
    Buffer Size (KB) : 1024
    Number of Buffers : 81

According to the error message, I should increase the number of buffers, as the Buffer Size I think is at the max. of 1024 KB.

How can this be done? Any suggestion for resolving this problem is welcome!

ddelo, Sep 15, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

[Windows Performance Analyzer Tool] : Creating a ROI Region of Interest file where start...

Analyzing website performance with the Windows Performance Toolkit

Source: Analyzing website performance with the Windows Performance Toolkit | Microsoft Edge Dev Blog

Brink, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

1. [Windows Performance Analyzer Tool] : Creating a ROI Region of Interest file where start... - Similar Threads - Performance Analyzer Tool

2. Windows Performance Analyzer question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Performance Analyzer question: This morning I downloaded and Microsoft immediately installed "Windows Performance Analyzer" on my laptop to see how well my system is behaving on startup. The problem is that I do not know how to use it. Something produces ETFs that the analyzer reports on, but I don't know...
  3. Windows Performance Analyzer closes upon start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Performance Analyzer closes upon start: Hello, I just installed Windows ADK, during installation I checked WPA and WPR only. When I open WPA, my mouse lags like: if I would have low fps. And there is only white screen inside window, which shortly after that closes. I used Windows ADK before and this never...
  4. Windows Performance Recorder and Analyzer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Performance Recorder and Analyzer: I'm trying to figure out why one of my computers is snappier than the other when they both have virtually identical hardware. These two Windows performance tools seem like a good way to go, but they present the user with a daunting quantity of data. I'm starting with...
  5. Slow Windows 10 boot, need help analyzing Windows Performance Analyzer file

Slow Windows 10 boot, need help analyzing Windows Performance Analyzer file: After BIOS Post, the screen sits at the Windows Logo spinning for about 80-90 seconds before then moving to the login screen. This is after either a cold boot or restart. In the ETL, I am not seeing a long Pre Session boot, Session Initialize, Winlogon, or ExplorerInit. My OS...
  6. Help with Windows Performance Analyzer?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help with Windows Performance Analyzer?: My Dell desktop PC is intermittently slow -- especially waking up from sleep. I've checked everything I can think of, but found no obvious culprit. I just used Windows Performance Recorder to generate an ETL file, and I loaded it up in Windows Performance Analyzer, and it...
  7. Windows Performance Analyzer helps you analyze performance of a system

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Performance Analyzer helps you analyze performance of a system: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this fast-paced world, delays as small as a second can impact business metrics. So, a thorough analysis of performance characteristics likely causing these delays is essential. Windows Performance Analyzer offers valuable information in this regard. The...
  8. Windows Performance Analyzer vs Boot Phases (where is it?)

Windows Performance Analyzer vs Boot Phases (where is it?): Hi, I followed the posted how-to on this forum and installed the performance toolkit and recorded my pc while its booting. I'd like to take a look at what's causing my boot time to be 4 minutes of the Windows logo and swirling dots. However, I can't d the Boot Phases section...
  9. Windows Performance Analyzer error

Windows Performance Analyzer error: I've been trying to run Windows Performance Analyzer to analyze a trace to resolve slow boots. The version of the ADK I used to install the Windows Performance Toolkit is the latest one, for Windows 10 1803, as I'm currently on 17134.81. After running the Windows...
  10. Analyzing website performance with the Windows Performance Toolkit

in Windows 10 News
    Analyzing website performance with the Windows Performance Toolkit: Slow pages lose users: research from Bing and Google indicates that delays as small as half a second can impact business metrics. To build fast sites, developers need powerful tools to analyze the performance of their sites and debug issues. In-browser tools like the F12...