Windows 10: Windows Performance Toolkit. How to run xbootmgr with time limitations

Discus and support Windows Performance Toolkit. How to run xbootmgr with time limitations in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Trying to troubleshoot a reboot that never completes and am running the following command from WPT xbootmgr -trace shutdown -traceFlags... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by turnip_879, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Windows Performance Toolkit. How to run xbootmgr with time limitations

Trying to troubleshoot a reboot that never completes and am running the following command from WPT
    xbootmgr -trace shutdown -traceFlags BASE+DIAG+LATENCY -noPrepReboot

The etl file is generated but since the reboot never completes it comes out corrupted at least xperf is unable to open it.

Can I run the above command with timeout settings? Basically something like

xbootmgr -trace shutdown -traceFlags BASE+DIAG+LATENCY -noPrepReboot -timeout 30s
    or something similar.

:)

turnip_879, Mar 29, 2019
  2. Marc.2377 Win User

Can I run xbootmgr to speed up boot times on an SSD?

It is possible to tune up the Windows boot time by using the xbootmgr tool from the Windows Performance Toolkit, as described in this related question of myself: Should I logon to Windows when using xbootmgr to speed up boot times?. The command to use is the following:

However, the author of the article I'm referring to advises:

Now, I'm a little confused whether that's a warning or simply an advice to keep people from wasting time. Supposing I do perform this command on an SSD based computer, would it be detrimental (cause damage to the drive, make the boot time longer, or any other negative impact)?

Update: I did run the process on my home computer, which has an SSD as the main drive. It finished much faster than normally would. At the end, the boot time improved absolutely nothing. So now I have empirical evidence it is a waste of time.

Marc.2377, Mar 29, 2019
  3. How to use Windows Performance Toolkit to analyze slow startups

Hello,

I just installed the Microsoft Performance Toolkit for Windows 10 because I have a very slow startup and I wish to analyze it to understand which service/app/process is responsible for that. However I ma not
    sure how to use it. My understand is that I have to start a trace by WPR, reboot, stop the trace, and use the analysis tool (WPA) to get trace data in a graph format.

Can anybody, please, publish step-by-step instructions to do that? I tried to use the Event Manager to troubleshoot the startup but it is not easy to understand if an error originated other errors or is originated
    by another error. Not all errors have to be fixed. Sometimes, fixing an error, remove all the errors it originated. So I would like to have a look at startup to understand if some process is responsible for time delays.

Thank you in advance.

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:

donnieclark11, Mar 29, 2019
  4. zinou Win User

Windows Performance Toolkit. How to run xbootmgr with time limitations

Very slow boot-up time (over three minutes)

Make sure you are running the command under "%programfiles(x86)%\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit" path.

If it doesn't work try recording the trace using the graphical version of the tool. Here is the steps:

1. Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ed/adk-install . Choose the package corresponding to your Windows version.
    2. When running the setup select only Windows Performance Toolkit.
    3. Record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options:https://justpaste.it/1g4sx
    4. Compress the resulting file.

zinou, Mar 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows Performance Toolkit. How to run xbootmgr with time limitations

1. Windows Performance Toolkit. How to run xbootmgr with time limitations - Similar Threads - Performance Toolkit run

2. Family safety time limit not limiting time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family safety time limit not limiting time?: I've set a 30min limit on Saturday and Sundays for my son but he is able to carry on for longer without the limit stopping him. How do I make it work?...
  3. Family safety time limit not limiting time?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Family safety time limit not limiting time?: I've set a 30min limit on Saturday and Sundays for my son but he is able to carry on for longer without the limit stopping him. How do I make it work?...
  4. Windows Performance Toolkit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Performance Toolkit: Hi there,i have a problem trying to create a log file using the Windows Performance Tool kit and gpuview.I've been havins some erratic behaviour with regard to my GPU 1080Ti clock speed and my work programs Autodesk Revit & AutodcadBasically the card has been upclocking to...
  5. No time limits set, but still limiting time

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No time limits set, but still limiting time: I have kids who need to use Google Chrome for distance learning. When I enabled that app for them, it set a time limit. I have removed all app time limits on the kids accounts, but one of them is still blocked from using Chrome unless he asks an adult. How can I fix this...
  6. Windows 10 (ver. 10.0.18362.239) very slow boot time - windows performance toolkit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 (ver. 10.0.18362.239) very slow boot time - windows performance toolkit: Hello, boot time is during 25 minutes (first show of windows log in screen, this is only approximately last month). Windows performance toolkit is prepared data (lot of services, dll, ...). How can I know easy identify who make this time duration in lot of process, please?...
  7. How to allow defrag maintenance task to run with no time limit

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to allow defrag maintenance task to run with no time limit: Windows10. Defrag is configured in TaskScheduler with a time limit of 3 days. However, it seems that it actually runs as part of the Maintenance processing which has a time limit of an hour. Thus, my automatic defrag never runs. I expect it to take longer than an hour...
  8. Windows Performance Toolkit dump before crash

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Performance Toolkit dump before crash: Hey everyone, So I've never posted before, but wasn't sure where to go next. Corsair isn't really helping on their customer support, but I'm determined to get to the bottom of this none the less. The short story is, I got a new keyboard as a gift (Corsair), but I'm...
  9. Download and Install Windows Performance Toolkit in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Download and Install Windows Performance Toolkit in Windows 10: How to: Download and Install Windows Performance Toolkit in Windows 10 How to Download and Install Windows Performance Toolkit in Windows 10 Included in the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit, the Windows Performance Toolkit consists of performance monitoring tools...
  10. Analyzing website performance with the Windows Performance Toolkit

in Windows 10 News
    Analyzing website performance with the Windows Performance Toolkit: Slow pages lose users: research from Bing and Google indicates that delays as small as half a second can impact business metrics. To build fast sites, developers need powerful tools to analyze the performance of their sites and debug issues. In-browser tools like the F12...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. boot commands performance toolkit windows 7

2. xbootmgr.exe windows 10

3. xbootmgr windows 10

4. xbootmgr.exe scheduled task,
  5. windows performance toolkit for windows 7,
  6. windows performance toolkit windows 10 command,
  7. xbootmgr.exe limit buffer,
  8. xbootmgr timeout