Windows 10: Windows photo import does not sort into folders

Discus and support Windows photo import does not sort into folders in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My Windows 10 Home used to import photos from my Sony XQD card reader and put each import session into a folder. It used to do it by month folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SueLuxton, Dec 11, 2020.

1. SueLuxton Win User

Windows photo import does not sort into folders

My Windows 10 Home used to import photos from my Sony XQD card reader and put each import session into a folder. It used to do it by month folders appeared as 2020-01 then through 2020 it has started doing it by day folders appeared as 2020-08-03 and now recently it just dumps everything into the Pictures folder in bulk which means everything has to be moved and sorted through manually. I know I can use Arrange By but it doesn't keep that and I preferred the way it was doing it as I take thousands of photos.

How can I revert to forcing the wizard to import from the card reader into folders like it used to?

It won't even let me uninstall and reinstall it to see if that works.

:)

SueLuxton, Dec 11, 2020
  2. Ruz San Win User

importing photos

Thank you for clearing that out. It looks like you are importing the files using the Photos app. When you import photos using this app, the files get imported into your Pictures library. To view these files, refer to these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • On the list of folders on the left side of the window, click on Pictures. You shall see the photos imported from the SD card using the Photos app.

Another option you have is to import the files solely using File Explorer. Here's how you can do it:

• Connect the SD card into the computer.
    • Launch File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Locate your SD card under Devices and drives.
    • Double-click on the SD card.
    • Manually choose which photos to move into your local folders. Right-click on each photo and choose
      Copy (Ctrl + C) then go to the destination folder then right-click on an empty space in the window and select
      Paste (Ctrl + V).
    • If you are importing all the photos, you can press Ctrl + A on the keyboard to select all of the files. Copy then Paste them into the destination folder.
    • If you are importing selective photos, hold the Ctrl key while clicking on the photos you want to copy. This will let you choose a number of photos instead of selecting all of them like what Step 7 suggests.

Once you're able to get the hang of the tricks, importing photos will not be a challenge anymore.

Tell us which method works best for you.

We're here if you need more help.

Ruz San, Dec 11, 2020
  3. Windows 10 photos won't import

Hi,

Since you mentioned that you were able to import photos the first time you tried it, we suggest that you download and run the
    Windows app troubleshooter and check if it resolves the issue. This troubleshooter will scan your PC and attempt to automatically fix issues with the Windows store apps.

If the Photo app still isn't working, try to reset it by following these steps:

• In the Search box, type Settings.
    • From the results, click on Settings to run the app.
    • Tap System and select Apps & features.
    • Click on the Photos app and hit Advanced options.
    • Press Reset.

You may also want to check if you have permissions to the folder to which you are importing the photos. Here are the steps to give permissions to the folder:

• Right-click on the Pictures folder, in the File Explorer, and select
      Properties.
    • Under the Security tab, click on HomeUsers
      under Group or Username.
    • Choose Full Control under Permissions for System
    • Repeat steps 2 & 3 for Administrators under Group
      or Username.
    Restart your PC and try importing the photos again.

Additionally, you may want to read Andre Da Costa's Forum article using the link below for more info:

Complete Guide to Importing Your Photos in Windows 10.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Windows photo import does not sort into folders

Windows Photo Viewer ignoring my folder sort options

Windows photo import does not sort into folders [​IMG]

open photo app
    click on settings

look under Source
    if you have multiple folders with images in each add the folder to the list

I have 2 folders in mine
    the one from onedrive auto sorts by date and groups them together
    if I had more folders id add them to my list
    yes all images are shown within the app

Windows photo import does not sort into folders [​IMG]

guess I should re read your post before I comment ... thought you was talking about the Photo App misunderstood WPV

icpwolverine, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows photo import does not sort into folders

1. Windows photo import does not sort into folders - Similar Threads - photo import does

2. No way of sorting/organizing photos by time on the new Photos app when importing from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No way of sorting/organizing photos by time on the new Photos app when importing from...: I am trying to import photos from a connected iPhone via the new photos app.In the old photos app, photos from a connected device will automatically be sorted by date, with the newest photos on top. However, in the current new Photos app there is no such sorting of the...
  3. Windows 10 Photo import to folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Photo import to folders: HI,in windows 7 I used to be able to import photos from an sd card so they would automatically go into the photos folder organized by date taken.I cannot get windows 10 photos to do this. I'd love to know how i do itthanks...
  4. Windows 10 Photo import to folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Photo import to folders: HI,in windows 7 I used to be able to import photos from an sd card so they would automatically go into the photos folder organized by date taken.I cannot get windows 10 photos to do this. I'd love to know how i do itthanks...
  5. Windows 10 Photo import to folders

6. Importing photos - does not auto create folder now

Importing photos - does not auto create folder now: Hi, when i used to import photos - windows auto created a dated folder, that was great and saved me lots of time. Now it doesn't and its a nightmare and takes a very long time. As a surveyor we are importing 100's of photos a week. Can it be rectified please ? Urgently!...
  7. How to choose import settings drive and monthly sorting on import in Microsoft Photos new...

How to choose import settings drive and monthly sorting on import in Microsoft Photos new...: New update of Microsoft Photos does not give an option to change import settings. I want to import to a certain hard drive and I want my photos to be sorted monthly, it used to be so easy in the app. Does anyone know how to do this? Microsoft Photos 2020.20110.11001.0...
  8. Photos in Window 10 not importing all photos in Pictures folders incl sub- folders

Photos in Window 10 not importing all photos in Pictures folders incl sub- folders: I have purchased a new computer with Windows 10, previously using Vista I had over 10K photos organised in separate folders and sub-folders and found Windows Gallery great for organising, tagging and finding photos easily again. Have imported all my folders into Pictures...
  9. Sorting photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sorting photos: I have just taken delivery of a new W10 pc and would appreciate advice on sorting my photos. In XP I could download a cameraful of photos and, without having to change their titles, I could click and drag them into any order, not just one dictated by Microsoft. For instance...
  10. Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order

Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order: I store both RAW (CR2) and JPG versions of all my photos, with each folder sorted by type. Before Windows 10 this allowed me to view all the JPGs without the CR2 (which take longer to load). The new version insists that I view both! How do I restore the original...