Windows 10: Windows Photo Viewer can't be set as default on fresh install Windows 10.0.17763.1 (1809)

Discus and support Windows Photo Viewer can't be set as default on fresh install Windows 10.0.17763.1 (1809) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Customer Service asked me to post this here to see if anyone knew anything about it. I've been able to set it as default up to 17134.376 (1803) but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Eyevou, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Eyevou Win User

Windows Photo Viewer can't be set as default on fresh install Windows 10.0.17763.1 (1809)

Customer Service asked me to post this here to see if anyone knew anything about it.

I've been able to set it as default up to 17134.376 (1803) but after I did a fresh reinstall of 1809 from USB I'm no longer able to get the setting to stick. I've tried doing things the normal way (Open with... > Choose another app > More apps > Windows Photo Viewer. tick the checkbox for "Always use this app to open") but it will not save the setting. Upon trying to reopen the file it will launch in the Photo App. I've tried changing the file associations in Default App Settings, as well, but as far as I can recall Windows 10 has only shown the option of .tiff and .tif to be associated with it. Trying to set the association by file type doesn't work either as it only shows Photo and Paint as selectable choices without giving the ability to search for other options.

The association appears to remain intact if you have the setting BEFORE upgrading to 1809 but once the association is wiped, either by doing a system refresh or complete reinstall, you're unable to link the files and Windows Photo Viewer again. This holds true for the .png, .jpg, .jpeg, and .gif file types (those are the one's I've tried, anyway).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on the subject.

P.S. If you don't know how to reactivate Windows Photo Viewer as a selectable choice you have to edit the registry.

See: https://www.howtogeek.com/225844/how-to-make-windows-photo-viewer-your-default-image-viewer-on-windows-10/

:)

Eyevou, Oct 30, 2018

2. Set Windows Photo Viewer as default to open photos

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to set window photo viewer as default and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click on Control Panel and under View by change it to
      Small Icons.

• Click on Default Programs and click on
      Set your default programs

• Click on Windows Photo Viewer from the Left pane and click on
      Choose Defaults for this program.

• Select all the formats available from the list and click on
      Save and click Ok.

• Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Oct 30, 2018
  3. Windows 10 default image viewer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps in order to change the default image viewer to Paint.

• In search,
    • Type Default Programs.
    • Check whether Windows Photo Viewer is listed in the list.
    • Left click on the photo viewer and select the option paint.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 30, 2018
  4. wiivile Win User

Windows Photo Viewer can't be set as default on fresh install Windows 10.0.17763.1 (1809)

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10  

Fresh install of Win10, did option 2, number 3 (sort fix). does anyone know why "Windows Photo Viewer" would show up twice in the list of apps to choose from in default apps? It persists even after setting Windows Photo Viewer as default. Also appears twice when choosing a default program on a per-filetype basis.

Windows Photo Viewer can't be set as default on fresh install Windows 10.0.17763.1 (1809) [​IMG]

wiivile, Oct 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Photo Viewer can't be set as default on fresh install Windows 10.0.17763.1 (1809) - Similar Threads - Photo Viewer can't

2. Can't set Imageglass as default photo viewer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set Imageglass as default photo viewer: I am trying to set Imageglass as my default photo viewer. When I go to the default app section and select photo imageglass doesn't come up as an option. Is there any other way to set a default image viewer?...
  3. how to set Windows Photo Viewer as my default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to set Windows Photo Viewer as my default: How can I set Windows Photo Viewer as my default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-windows-photo-viewer-as-my-default/4aaf2fed-d399-4a0f-8d22-afb25d15ee5c
  4. Windows 10 Default Image / Photo Viewer.

Windows 10 Default Image / Photo Viewer.: Hello world, I'm having some issues with the default windows 10 photo / image viewer. When I open a image, the application loads said image but adds a certain yellow-ish tint to it aswell as some kind of resolution downgrade. It's weird because the instant I open the image,...
  5. Windows 10 Education 17763 (1809)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Education 17763 (1809): Hi! My Windows 10 Laptop is running very slow. I am running Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 5025-u @ 2.00 Ghz, 2 GB AMD Radeon Graphics card and 4 GB RAM. Can anybody help me? My model is HP Notebook 14-ac153TX. I tried deleting temp. files, freeing up disk space and a fresh, clean...
  6. Windows Photo Viewer not able to set as default

Windows Photo Viewer not able to set as default: So I've added the registry key to activate back " Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell] [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open]...
  7. can't use photo viewer as default viewer anymore (win 10)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can't use photo viewer as default viewer anymore (win 10): hi, I always used the photo viewer as the default viewer for all types of images. windows photos is garbage, i mean, using the scroll wheel for switching to the next image instead of zooming? button to see the image's original size hidden in a menu?? what in heaven? not to...
  8. Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help! Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program!: Before the update, I had installed Windows Photo Viewer and could go to Control Panel > Default Programs and click "Set this program as default" or "Choose defaults for this program". Now, if I click Set this program as default it doesn't do anything, still says 2 out of...
  9. Unable to set Photoscape as Default Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to set Photoscape as Default Photo Viewer: Photoscape is an app that is functioning normally. I want to make it my Default Photo Viewer. When I go to Settings/Default Apps it is not on the list On one attempt to set, it stated that Photoscape was "unavailable" (not sure where that occurred) I have tried a number...
  10. Zoom settings behave weirdly on Windows 10 default photo viewer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Zoom settings behave weirdly on Windows 10 default photo viewer.: The photo viewing program in Windows 10 automatically slightly resizes the photo it's displaying according to the window size. And by slightly, I mean slightly. This doesn't matter with things like a photo of r house or family, but it makes a difference with screenshots. What...