Windows 10: Windows photo viewer delets photos after rotating.

Discus and support Windows photo viewer delets photos after rotating. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There are some hidden photos i was browsing through and i rotated them as i was viewing. after closing photo viewer and seeing the "saving" prompt,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Muuka, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Muuka Win User

Windows photo viewer delets photos after rotating.

There are some hidden photos i was browsing through and i rotated them as i was viewing. after closing photo viewer and seeing the "saving" prompt, those photos disappeared. Any help recovering them would be appreciated as those photos are valued.

I'm using Win 10.

After looking at other posts, i can safely say i don't have Mcafee installed.

The photos in question were already marked as "hidden" and so is the folder.

:)

Muuka, Apr 11, 2020
  2. ARC
    Arc Win User

Alternative to Photo Viewer.

Hi. Windows photo viewer delets photos after rotating. :)

I am using build 10147 now, and Windows Photo Viewer is not working here as it used to. The new look/appearence of the Photos App is very cool, but is there any third party software that can be an alternative of the good old Windows Photo Viewer?

I want a program/app that will open a photo from explorer, will provide flip/rotate and delete options, and will shift to the next photo simply. A photo library organizer and integrated photo editor etc are not wanted by me.

Many thanks for your suggestion. Windows photo viewer delets photos after rotating. :)

3. drugo Win User
    Alternative to Photo Viewer.

hi
    try Honeyview , there is a full stealth portable and a installation
    it' is amazing fast and respect color management adobe rgb , prophoto ,i rgb and so on

drugo, Apr 11, 2020
  4. Windows photo viewer delets photos after rotating.

Windows Photo Viewer not a good way to rotate photos, can be lossy

Though it's now a few weeks after the original post, I'll state this anyway, in case it's of benefit to someone: Windows Photo Viewer is not a good way to rotate photos. If either the height or the width of the picture being rotated are not exactly divisible by 8, Windows Photo Viewer will re-save the pic in jpg format, meaning you lose picture quality, since jpg is a lossy format. Windows Photo Viewer will warn you the first time that you do this on a Windows installation. If you tick the "In the future, do not show this dialog" checkbox, you'll never see the warning again, and would probably soon have forgotten that it still applies.

Windows photo viewer delets photos after rotating. [​IMG]

Even if your camera's pics all have heights and widths divisible by 8 [for all the pic sizes selectable in the camera's settings], if you crop and save a pic, whether that pic be from your camera or downloaded from the internet, the saved pic might not have height and width cleanly divisible by 8. So you would lose picture definition if you rotated it.

The preferred solution for many of us is to simply never use Windows Photo Viewer to rotate pics. But if it's the default picfile viewer, it's easy to accidentally click the rotate buttons. So we install a third party freeware program of choice as the default photo viewer. I use Irfanview, which has a Jpg Lossless Rotation feature. Irfanview has both lossless and lossy rotation options, and all programs have a learning curve, so if you adopt this solution be sure to properly study the program help. If you use Irfanview, be sure to download and run the plugins installer after running the main program installer. Also study the program's lossless rotation options, as some of them can remove picture file metadata you'd probably prefer to keep, if not set the way you want.

These webpages describe some of the issues I've mentioned:
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/rotating-photos-or-pictures-in-windows-photo-viewer-causes-quality-loss
    Lossless rotation of JPEG images - Better JPEG

This Wikipedia table mentions 'JPEG lossless rotate' in the 'Other functions' column for those programs that are capable of it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar..._and_licensing

Happy rotating!

bigbadsteve, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows photo viewer delets photos after rotating.

1. Windows photo viewer delets photos after rotating. - Similar Threads - photo viewer delets

2. Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo Viewer: My photos are resizing automatically. I have photos saved to an external drive. When I view a single photo from the drive the photo shows at the size it was saved. However if I access the drive through explorer to view all of the photos in the file they start resizing after 2...
  3. Image rotates after viewing in Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image rotates after viewing in Windows Photo Viewer: More a bug report than a question, so hopefully someone can refer this to the appropriate parties.After previewing an image in the default Windows Photo Viewer, the image rotates by itself.I originally thought I had hit the rotate buttons in the new Explorer but it happened...
  4. Image rotates after viewing in Windows Photo Viewer

Image rotates after viewing in Windows Photo Viewer: More a bug report than a question, so hopefully someone can refer this to the appropriate parties.After previewing an image in the default Windows Photo Viewer, the image rotates by itself.I originally thought I had hit the rotate buttons in the new Explorer but it happened...
  5. Rotation of Photos

Rotation of Photos: Microsoft Photos 2019.19051.16210.0 I am now running this new Photo program on Windows 10. On Windows 7 you could rotate the pictures 90degrees or 180degrees. You did not have to only go one way. Is there any place to change this setting, ( besides setting, that did not...
  6. Windows photo and photo viewer

Windows photo and photo viewer: Photo app and photo viewer app not working, please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-and-photo-viewer/3b344c54-cf1c-4cf1-ab44-8bfba1ded777
  7. Wrong rotated photos in the photo frame

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong rotated photos in the photo frame: When I display the photos on the photo frame, they are often rotated in the wrong way. These photos I take using the phone, then transfer them to the computer and then to the photo frame. The problem is Windows automatically adjusts the photo orientation....
  8. wrong rotated photos in the photo frame

wrong rotated photos in the photo frame: When I display the photos on the photo frame, they are often rotated in the wrong way. These photos I take using the phone, then transfer them to the computer and then to the photo frame. The problem is Windows automatically adjusts the photo orientation...
  9. Rotate Photo

Rotate Photo: Dear Sir/Madam, there is no such option that I can rotate image left side clock wise.How to Rotate Photo clock wise left side???? thete is only one option for right side but not left side In windows 10 Pro please look at below image. [ATTACH] Thanks &...
  10. MS "PHOTO" & "WINDOWS PHOTO VIEWER"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MS "PHOTO" & "WINDOWS PHOTO VIEWER": How do I get rid of large blue (square) icon that has suddenly appeared in the lower left corner of every picture thumbnail (jpg/tiff/…) in my photos folder? Was happily using MS "WINDOWS PHOTO VIEWER", for my thumbnails and viewer... which somehow has now disappeared (not a...