Windows 10: Windows Photo Viewer ignoring my folder sort options

Discus and support Windows Photo Viewer ignoring my folder sort options in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I like to sort some of my folders by date and for some reason I can't understand, when I open an image with WPV, it gets sorted by name instead of date... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lesbianofdeath, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Windows Photo Viewer ignoring my folder sort options

I like to sort some of my folders by date and for some reason I can't understand, when I open an image with WPV, it gets sorted by name instead of date (the folder remains the same, it's just the WPV that screws everything). If I wanted to see whatever I have inside the folder by name, I would just sort it by name for god's sake. Is there any way I can solve this?

:)

Lesbianofdeath, Aug 26, 2015

2. windows photo viewer

In windows 10 when I sorting my photos in folder by
    date created the preview of the windows photo viewer shows by name. why?

MojtabaLoeipour, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Right-Click preview option missing after Win 10 install

There's an easy way to make it work the old way.

Open any folder with an image file - ie *.jpg

Right click on the file, and select "Properties" from the menu.

Under the "General" tab, you'll see an "Opens with" option. Click "Change". In the list of options is "Windows Photo Viewer". Select this, then click "Apply".

This will give you back the right-click Preview option, which works just like it did in Windows 7/8.

To Microsoft: I'm a photographer, who has to deal with tens of thousands of images. If I had to do that silly "Open with" and pick "Windows Photo Viewer", as suggested in another post, every time I wanted a quick look at an image, I'd scream. And the default
    viewer only lets you see one image at a time? No scrolling through a folder? Really??? "Collections" are essentially unusable for my sort of work. Thankfully I sorted out how to undo your "better way".

AkamaiBedenbaugh, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Windows Photo Viewer ignoring my folder sort options

I'm not going to be much help, but I was under the impression Photo Viewer worked this way in all the more recent Windows versions.

DeaconFrost, Aug 26, 2015
  5. So basically I'll have to open and close every single file in order to see them the way they are sorted in my folder? That's nice.

Lesbianofdeath, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Windows Photo Viewer ignoring my folder sort options [​IMG]

open photo app
    click on settings

look under Source
    if you have multiple folders with images in each add the folder to the list

I have 2 folders in mine
    the one from onedrive auto sorts by date and groups them together
    if I had more folders id add them to my list
    yes all images are shown within the app

Windows Photo Viewer ignoring my folder sort options [​IMG]

guess I should re read your post before I comment ... thought you was talking about the Photo App misunderstood WPV

icpwolverine, Aug 27, 2015
  7. Well, since this seems to be intentional and apparently there is no way to change that, I guess I'll have to start using this bloody app. Thanks for the replies.

Lesbianofdeath, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Photo Viewer ignoring my folder sort options

1. Windows Photo Viewer ignoring my folder sort options - Similar Threads - Photo Viewer ignoring

2. Clarity option in Windows 11 photo viewer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clarity option in Windows 11 photo viewer.: I used the program last week and had the clarity option. Today I went to view and clear up my photos and the format of the program is very different, but I can not find the clarity option. I use this program weekly and really would like to request that this option be placed...
  3. Default "Sort By" explorer option keeps getting ignored

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default "Sort By" explorer option keeps getting ignored: I used to have this issue last year and it was gone after resetting my computer. Somehow, my problem is back. Thankfully, it's only on a few different folders and not all of them.Basically, I'm used to having certain folder sosrted by "last modified" to find recent files...
  4. Default "Sort By" explorer option keeps getting ignored

Default "Sort By" explorer option keeps getting ignored: I used to have this issue last year and it was gone after resetting my computer. Somehow, my problem is back. Thankfully, it's only on a few different folders and not all of them.Basically, I'm used to having certain folder sosrted by "last modified" to find recent files...
  5. Default "Sort By" explorer option keeps getting ignored

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Change 7's "Photo Viewer" sort method according to folder sort option? (as it worked in 7)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change 7's "Photo Viewer" sort method according to folder sort option? (as it worked in 7): Recently upgraded from 7. I want to continue to use Windows Photo Viewer for all image formats, but using forward / back no longer advances the images according to the folder's "sort by" option. I guess it's a long shot, but I wondered if anyone knows how to fix this?...
  7. No Sort By Option in my folder, when it appears it doesn't keep the option which I sorted...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Sort By Option in my folder, when it appears it doesn't keep the option which I sorted...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/EnzoAlcuino [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i8lzvq/no_sort_by_option_in_my_folder_when_it_appears_it/
  8. Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order

Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order: The Windows Photo Viewer will not display photos in the order they are sorted by Windows Explorer. This is not referring to the slide show feature, just the forward and back arrows. The only order pictures can be viewed is by name despite Windows Explorer being set at view...
  9. Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order

Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order: I store both RAW (CR2) and JPG versions of all my photos, with each folder sorted by type. Before Windows 10 this allowed me to view all the JPGs without the CR2 (which take longer to load). The new version insists that I view both! How do I restore the original...
  10. Sorting issues + Windows Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting issues + Windows Photo Viewer: Hi, I usually have both .jpg and .nef files on my SD cards when reading them into the pc. In win8, I could setup the folder to be sorted by file type, and then browse the .jpg files to check focus/colors. Now, when I group the folder into .jpg and .nef files and check the...