Windows 10: Windows Photos App cannot play .mkv

Discus and support Windows Photos App cannot play .mkv in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Yes, it cannot play .mkv files. I am aware that they can be converted to another format but I simply dont want to. So my question is: Can I make it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bob Marley 77, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Windows Photos App cannot play .mkv

Yes, it cannot play .mkv files. I am aware that they can be converted to another format but I simply dont want to.

So my question is:

Can I make it run .mkv?

Or better yet - Can I make videos be played in an external program like MPC-HC for example?

Or at the very least - Can I make it display videos in the catalogue and folders views even though they are not playable so I can at least be reminded that I have such videos and if I want to play them I should navigate to the actual files and play them with an external program?

Thanks.

:)

Bob Marley 77, Jun 22, 2019

2. Problem with mkv Files

Hi,

Experiencing issues in playing mkv files after an update may have something to do with the video card driver. If you have another mkv player app or program, we suggest that you try playing those files using another app or program to help us sort out this
    issue.

If in case the issue persists, we suggest running video troubleshooter. Just click
    Find and fix problems playing movies, television, or video on this
    link.

You may also try rolling back the video card driver. Follow these steps:

• Right-click the Windows key and select Device Manager.
    • Locate and right-click your display adapter, then select Properties.
    • Select the Driver tab and click the Roll Back Driver option.

Let us know how it goes so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 22, 2019
  3. why windows phone 8 is not able to play videos of .mkv format???

Hi Renish_787,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

I understand that you would like to have a free video player for Windows Phones that would be able to play .mkv files. It is up to the apps' developers to decide whether they want to provide their apps for free or not. If you have a certain app in mind, you
    can contact the app's developer to ask if it would be possible to have the app for free in the future.

There is a similar thread where the issue has been discussed as well:

Is there any player to play the video file .mkv format?

Also, you can use the Feature Suggestion box to suggest the ability to play .mkv files as a feature for Windows Phones:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Johanna P., Jun 22, 2019
  4. kormath Win User

Windows Photos App cannot play .mkv

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Windows Photos App cannot play .mkv :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jun 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows Photos App cannot play .mkv

1. Windows Photos App cannot play .mkv - Similar Threads - Photos App cannot

2. MKV file will not play on one PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MKV file will not play on one PC: I have three PCs with the same version of PotPlayer. Two of them will play a certain mkv file, one will not. All will play the file with VLC. All PCs are on the same Windows 10 1809 OS. All at the same patch level. I ran mkvalidator over the file and it says the "file...
  3. Cannot delete an MKV file or the folder it's in.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete an MKV file or the folder it's in.: I somehow downloaded an MKV file that I don't want and if I try to delete it the file explorer program locks up and I get the blue spinner of death forever or until I use the task manager to kill file explorer. I have also tried to delete the folder that the MKV file is in,...
  4. cannot import photos with the windows photos app

cannot import photos with the windows photos app: hello, so the photos app earlier used to work fine. now it fails to import photos 1) the pc does not recognise my apple iphone instantly,(new one has this problem too, so i can confirm it is not just because of the iphone) but rather takes time to recognise it's folders....
  5. Unable to play some MKV files on Music and TV app, Error 0xc1010103

Unable to play some MKV files on Music and TV app, Error 0xc1010103: As per subject, I can only play some MKV files. Has anyone encountered the same issue? Couldn't search for some reason. I can play all files using VLC just fine. 140823
  6. Why there is no sound when play .mkv video?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why there is no sound when play .mkv video?: Why some .mkv file has no sound playing with Movies & TV or WMP? while VCL can play it properly? Is there another issue with Audio driver and Windows 10!?...
  7. movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files?

movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files?: movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/movies-tv-app-cant-play-sound-in-mkv-files/021849a8-e4e1-4a71-91d2-d47b43b98998
  8. MKV Files won't play in v1809

MKV Files won't play in v1809: Ok so, i've noticed that v1809 will NOT play MKV files in VLC or any other video player. They work perfectly on my other computer which is still running v1803. Is there a fix? 122139
  9. Cannot view photos in photo app

Cannot view photos in photo app: I opened my picture library and double clicked to view photo, photo App opens and shuts immediately and then displays an error message. This happens with all photos/pictures I have tried to open! [img] How can I view my photos/pictures in Windows 10? *Sick Just to...
  10. Two major problems with playing MKV files

Two major problems with playing MKV files: Good day, I just noticed 2 major problems with playing MKV files using the native Movies & TV app in Windows 10 Pro x64 that I'm running. 1. I'm not sure if Windows 10 fully supports MKV files yet but audio from some MKV files couldn't be played with the Movies & TV...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. photos app mkv

2. can windows photo app work ith .mkv files

3. windows photos mkv

4. windows photos app mkv