Windows 10: Windows Photos App - Indexing HDD

Discus and support Windows Photos App - Indexing HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I start Windows Photo APP it indexes the photos on my PC for about 15-20minuites. If I try to scroll through photos in the APP as the indexing is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lumpy20, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Lumpy20 Win User

Windows Photos App - Indexing HDD

When I start Windows Photo APP it indexes the photos on my PC for about 15-20minuites.

If I try to scroll through photos in the APP as the indexing is going on and enlarge a photo to edit it I get a 'thumbnail' type view until Windows catches up.

My PC is a i7 - 4970K, 512Gb SSD with 32Gb Ram so is no slouch.

If I close Windows Photos APP the 'grinding' on the HDD's photos are stored on a 3Tb in the PCimmediately stops.

I do have a large stock of photos, thus the 3TB HDD in the PC and an 8TB backup drive.

All included I have about 2TB of photos on the PC and about 3TB on the Seagate Backup Drive.

I am running Windows 10 Pro 64Bit - Ver. 1909, after update, BUT this indexing issue has been occurring for a few years at least.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Lumpy20, Mar 4, 2020
  2. Gino Des Win User

Photo app in Windows 10 is extremely slow

Rebuilding the search index in your computer may help speed-up the loading of photos in the app. The search index is like a directory of files and media in your computer. Follow the steps below:

• Click Start.
    • On the search bar, type Indexing Options, and click on Indexing Options from the results.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Under Troubleshooting, click Rebuild.

We also suggest that you download and install any pending updates that needs to be installed on the computer through Windows Update and check if it helps resolve the issue.

If the issue persists, you may reinstall the Photos app. For steps on how to uninstall and reinstall the Photos app, follow the steps provided by Anil Madishetty on this thread:

Why won't my Photos app load on Windows 10

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gino Des, Mar 4, 2020
  3. WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Mar 4, 2020
  4. Windows Photos App - Indexing HDD

Windows 10 photo app

Hi Ralph & Barbara,

We suggest that you reset Windows Photo app. Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type %appdata%\..\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Photo_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState
    • Delete all the contents of the folder.
    Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regile Reb, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows Photos App - Indexing HDD

1. Windows Photos App - Indexing HDD - Similar Threads - Photos App Indexing

2. Photos app - Indexing Onedrive photos is extremely slow and resource consuming

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos app - Indexing Onedrive photos is extremely slow and resource consuming: I have multiple devices phone, tablet, laptops and a desktop and they all sync their photo's to OneDrive. There are approximately 35.000 pictures and videos in that folder. On my laptop, I used the Photos app quite a bit to search for specific photos of people or text. That...
  3. Microsoft Photos not indexing all photos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Photos not indexing all photos: I store my photos on a NAS that I access using SMB as a mapped network drive. I have no trouble accessing the photos and looking at them by double clicking on the images using file explorer and opening them in Microsoft Photos. However, when I add all my photos to my...
  4. Windows 10 Photos not indexing new photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Photos not indexing new photos: Hello, I have more or less the same problem as posted on this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photos-seems-to-have-stopped-indexing/c50cd30d-f8ce-49cb-8bc1-7b6ede55cde2 thread, and it was closed without any proper solution, which I think is...
  5. Photos App Speedup ; File Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10

Photos App Speedup ; File Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10: Because Microsoft Photos App Image Viewer will open images sorted by "height" I am using it to evaluate many thousands of .jpg and .png image files as to whether I want to keep them or delete them. Normally I would "tag" the files I want to keep then delete the other,...
  6. Photos App Speedup ; Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10 Photos App

Photos App Speedup ; Explorer Indexing ; Windows 10 Photos App: Because Microsoft Photos App Image Viewer will open images sorted by "height" I am using it to evaluate many thousands of .jpg and .png image files as to whether I want to keep them or delete them. Normally I would "tag" the files I want to keep then delete the other,...
  7. Is there a way to stop Photos from indexing photos?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to stop Photos from indexing photos?: Maybe there is a Command-line command for that? Each day i upload to my hdd a lot of renovation & work projects photos. More than 70000 total...
  8. Is there a way to stop Photos from indexing photos?

Is there a way to stop Photos from indexing photos?: Maybe there is a Command-line command for that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-stop-photos-from-indexing-photos/17c37ba3-6f13-4a4b-8bcb-6374967cc93b
  9. Index cards app

Index cards app: Hi Is there any way to always show the back of the card and not the front with lines? I like to use them as a sketch pad. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/index-cards-app/4ee6a781-3ef7-496b-8d18-b4bc1a6a6b27
  10. Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process and HDD temperature

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process and HDD temperature: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process its eating 10-15% of CPU and I think this is the reason why HDD temperature its always over 122°F (50°C). I have disabled Cortana but no luck, hope someone has a fix for this or I will return to Windows 8.1 Edit: What I have tried...