Windows 10: Windows Photos app won't launch after removing appxprovisionedpackages

Discus and support Windows Photos app won't launch after removing appxprovisionedpackages in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm stuck in the following situation: I have downloaded a Windows 10 (1709) from VLSC portal and made some customizations to the WIM file. I wrote a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DanielAttila Kovacs, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Windows Photos app won't launch after removing appxprovisionedpackages

I'm stuck in the following situation: I have downloaded a Windows 10 (1709) from VLSC portal and made some customizations to the WIM file.

I wrote a script to remove all unwanted applications (to be exact: uninstall everything except what I want to remain).

The script used:

$wimfile = "<path to wim>"
    $mountdir = "<path of empty NTFS folder>"

## DISM - Mount wim
    dism /mount-wim /wimfile:$wimfile /index:1 /mountdir:$mountdir

## Define the applications you want to remain
    $exceptions = @(
    "StickyNotes"
    "MSPaint"
    "Windows.Photos"
    "WindowsAlarms"
    "WindowsCalculator"
    )

## Get provisioned applications from the mounted Windows image
    [System.Collections.ArrayList]$appx = (Get-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Path $mountdir).PackageName

## Remove the applications from the arraylist
    foreach ($app in $exceptions){
    $packagename = ""
    $appx | ? {$_ -match $app} | Set-Variable packagename
    $appx.Remove("$packagename")
    }

## Remove the applications from the mounted image
    foreach ($pack in $appx){
    Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -PackageName $pack -Path $mountdir
    }

#Remove OneDrive
    reg load HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM $mountdir\Users\Default\ntuser.dat
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v OneDriveSetup /f
    # Unload, Unmount, Commit
    reg unload HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM

# Remove Cloud Content (default suggested 3rd party applications in Start Menu)
    reg load HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM $mountdir\Windows\System32\Config\Software
    reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent
    reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent /v DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

## DISM - Unmount wim, commit changes
    dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:$mountdir /commit

When I install a computer using the original WIM file, the Photos app is working properly.

When I install a computer using the customized image, the app won't open.

I figured out, that there must be something with the following components (dependencies):

Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3

Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4

Because if I install this two (using SCCM), the app works fine.

My question/problem:

when customizing the image, these two components don't show up in the AppxProvisionedPackage list - so I do not remove them accidentally.

I've also tried provisioning the two components using Add-AppxProvisionedPackage, and they show up in "Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers", but the Photos app still won't open.

Any suggestions?

:)

DanielAttila Kovacs, Jul 5, 2018

2. Windows Photos app won't launch after removing appxprovisionedpackages

I'm stuck in the following situation: I have downloaded a Windows 10 (1709) from VLSC portal and made some customizations to the WIM file.

I wrote a script to remove all unwanted applications (to be exact: uninstall everything except what I want to remain).

The script used:

$wimfile = "<path to wim>"

$mountdir = "<path of empty NTFS folder>"

## DISM - Mount wim

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:$wimfile /index:1 /mountdir:$mountdir

## Define the applications you want to remain

$exceptions = @(

"StickyNotes"

"MSPaint"

"Windows.Photos"

"WindowsAlarms"

"WindowsCalculator"

)

## Get provisioned applications from the mounted Windows image

[System.Collections.ArrayList]$appx = (Get-ProvisionedAppxPackage -Path $mountdir).PackageName

## Remove the applications from the arraylist

foreach ($app in $exceptions){

$packagename = ""

$appx | ? {$_ -match $app} | Set-Variable packagename

$appx.Remove("$packagename")

}

## Remove the applications from the mounted image

foreach ($pack in $appx){

Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage -PackageName $pack -Path $mountdir

}

#Remove OneDrive

reg load HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM $mountdir\Users\Default\ntuser.dat

reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v OneDriveSetup /f

# Remove Cloud Content (default suggested 3rd party applications in Start Menu)

reg load HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM $mountdir\Windows\System32\Config\Software

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\WIM\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent /v DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

## DISM - Unmount wim, commit changes

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:$mountdir /commit

When I install a computer using the original WIM file, the Photos app is working properly.

When I install a computer using the customized image, the app won't open.

I figured out, that there must be something with the following components (dependencies):

Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3

Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4

Because if I install this two (using SCCM), the app works fine.

My question/problem:

when customizing the image, these two components don't show up in the AppxProvisionedPackage list - so I do not remove them accidentally.

I've also tried provisioning the two components using Add-AppxProvisionedPackage, and they show up in "Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers", but the Photos app still won't open.

Any suggestions?

DanielAttila Kovacs, Oct 29, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Windows Photos app won't launch after removing appxprovisionedpackages :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Windows Photos app won't launch after removing appxprovisionedpackages

remove-AppxProvisionedPackage Unspecified Error

Does anyone know how to fix these errors?

Windows Photos app won't launch after removing appxprovisionedpackages [​IMG]

This happens for any provisioned package I attempt to remove (as listed by Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online).

claytoncarney, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

Windows Photos app won't launch after removing appxprovisionedpackages

1. Windows Photos app won't launch after removing appxprovisionedpackages - Similar Threads - Photos app won't

2. Can't remove OneDrive with on Windows 11 with Get-AppXProvisionedPackage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove OneDrive with on Windows 11 with Get-AppXProvisionedPackage: I am cleaning up some of my conference room PC's so they no longer add bloatware to each user, however when I try to remove OneDrive it wont let me. I cant even find it in my list of Get-AppXProvisionedPackage. Its still installing with each new user. This is the list I get...
  3. Can't remove OneDrive with on Windows 11 with Get-AppXProvisionedPackage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't remove OneDrive with on Windows 11 with Get-AppXProvisionedPackage: I am cleaning up some of my conference room PC's so they no longer add bloatware to each user, however when I try to remove OneDrive it wont let me. I cant even find it in my list of Get-AppXProvisionedPackage. Its still installing with each new user. This is the list I get...
  4. Windows Scan app won't launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Scan app won't launch: Attempting to launch the Windows Scan app and receive the following error: "Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\system32\wfs.exe'. Make sure you type the name correctly and then try again." Of course, I didn't type anything, much less incorrectly, I simply typed scan in the...
  5. Windows Scan app won't launch

Windows Scan app won't launch: Attempting to launch the Windows Scan app and receive the following error: "Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\system32\wfs.exe'. Make sure you type the name correctly and then try again." Of course, I didn't type anything, much less incorrectly, I simply typed scan in the...
  6. Microsoft Store and Photo App won't launch

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store and Photo App won't launch: Microsoft store and Photo App WON"T launch. I can see the icons are "pinned" but they do not open when clicked. Microsoft Store: Shows in the start menu - but cannot click on it / does not launch Photos: Icon is pinned to desktop but does not openMissing from start menu -...
  7. PwrShell: Remove-AppxPackage & Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -AllUsers

PwrShell: Remove-AppxPackage & Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -AllUsers: Hello, I would like to ask a couple of questions regarding PowerShell commands for App management (OS build 19041.450) First: is there any difference between Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.XboxApp* | Remove-AppxPackage and Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers *Microsoft.XboxApp* |...
  8. AppxPackages AND AppxProvisionedPackages.

AppxPackages AND AppxProvisionedPackages.: Good afternoon. Question 1: I have written a PowerShell script to remove AppxPackages AND AppxProvisionedPackages. However, the following do NOT get removed [even run as the Built-In Administrator] . . ....
  9. Photo Apps not launching at all!

Photo Apps not launching at all!: My photo app can't seem to launch AT ALL. Everytime I try to open a photo it shows "the app didn't start" error message. I've tried almost everything!! - Repair - Reset - Uninstall and Install again - When I run the troubleshooter on microsoft apps it tells me there's...
  10. remove-AppxProvisionedPackage Unspecified Error

remove-AppxProvisionedPackage Unspecified Error: Does anyone know how to fix these errors? [img] This happens for any provisioned package I attempt to remove (as listed by Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online). 19943