Windows 10: Windows power options randomly change monitors settings

Discus and support Windows power options randomly change monitors settings in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm currently using a Lenovo i7 desktop, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 (v1903), utilizing two Dell 27 inch monitors. Since version 1803 upgrade the monitors... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ChrisRamacciotti, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Windows power options randomly change monitors settings

I'm currently using a Lenovo i7 desktop, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 (v1903), utilizing two Dell 27 inch monitors. Since version 1803 upgrade the monitors have been going to sleep, what ever application is being viewed in the right hand monitor will be minimized and switched to the left monitor. The power settings for the monitor has been automatically switched from never sleep to a random time. Sometimes 15 minutes is selected, other times it's 1 hour 30 minutes. This has been going on for well over a year. I've attempted logging in as the administrator and changing the settings but this doesn't permanently change things either. This is something I'd like to solve, not because it's interfering with my system, however it is irksome. Both monitors are using DisplayPort, not sure if this matters or not. Sometimes this will not happen for a week or so, other times it happens several times a day. Help please!

:)

ChrisRamacciotti, Aug 20, 2019
  2. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Can't Change Power Settings

Thank you for the quick response. We will now move to the second phase of troubleshooting. We suggest that you follow the steps provided below:

Method 1: Run the Power Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with your system's power settings. Here's how:

• In the search box, type troubleshooting, and then click
      Troubleshooting
    • Click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.

Method 2: Customize Power options.

If issue persists, the the following steps and check.

• In the search box, type Power options, and then click.
    • Click on choose when to turn off display from the left pane.
    • Click on Restore default settings for this plan.
    • Click on Change advance power settings.
    • Scroll down and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Expand Power button actions.
    • Click on the Setting and set it to Shut down.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ryan Mon1, Aug 20, 2019
  3. John Fer Win User
    Power plan?

Upon checking, it seems that there's nothing wrong with your system. It is usual that you have to double-click your mouse before your monitor wakes up.

For the meantime, we suggest changing the power plan by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type in Power Settings.
    • On the pop-up window, choose Additional power settings.
    • Select High performance.

After changing the power plan, we suggest that you monitor the changes made and check if that will work for you.

Get back to us if you need further help.

John Fer, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

Windows power options randomly change monitors settings

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows power options randomly change monitors settings

1. Windows power options randomly change monitors settings - Similar Threads - power options randomly

2. no power mode option in power setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no power mode option in power setting: I recently upgraded my Windows 10 to 11. Then, I went to the power settings in Windows 11. At first, I saw an option to change to the High Performance power plan. I switched it to Balanced, but then when I went back to the power settings, the power mode option was completely...
  3. no power mode option in power setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    no power mode option in power setting: I recently upgraded my Windows 10 to 11. Then, I went to the power settings in Windows 11. At first, I saw an option to change to the High Performance power plan. I switched it to Balanced, but then when I went back to the power settings, the power mode option was completely...
  4. Monitor settings randomly change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor settings randomly change: I've been experiencing an issue with my Philips monitor where the SmartImage feature unpredictably switches to "Racing" mode on its own. Despite manually disabling this setting, it often reactivates itself multiple times until it finally remains off, only to recur upon...
  5. Monitor settings randomly change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor settings randomly change: I've been experiencing an issue with my Philips monitor where the SmartImage feature unpredictably switches to "Racing" mode on its own. Despite manually disabling this setting, it often reactivates itself multiple times until it finally remains off, only to recur upon...
  6. Power options change after being set.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power options change after being set.: I want to keep the high performance power option on my desktop PC but Win 10 changes it to power saver. Why and how can I keep that from happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-options-change-after-being-set/6c149666-18de-4277-b84e-65872fdf326a
  7. "power options" settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "power options" settings: i have a new laptop running win 10 home. i have learned from sites to use the power options menu to change my settings to "power saver" to increase battery life for my laptop. i know that this can be changed manually from the taskbar or setting menu, but does windows ever...
  8. Power Options > Change settings that are currently no availble

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power Options > Change settings that are currently no availble: Is not working. It says: "some settings are managed by your system administrator". I am the only user in the PC and I have administrator rights. UAC is on (without notifications). I want to be able to Hibernate the computer. This is Win10 x64 on dual boot (GRUB) with...
  9. Monitor random power downs

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor random power downs: Since upgrading to windows 10, my monitor randomly goes to power save mode (standby). This appears to be mainly in games. e.g. Lord of the Rings Online, but I have noticed the same in Chrome once in a while. Apart from that, all seems to be fine. I am running the latest...
  10. power options settings

in Windows 10 Support
    power options settings: I have all the setting I can find that when I close lid to laptop it does nothing when plugged in. I have it set to do not sleep unless I tell it too period. Yes went through 'all' settings. So it will run scans, maintenance etc during night but like lid closed. But when I...