Windows 10: Windows PowerShell 5 or 7?

Discus and support Windows PowerShell 5 or 7? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm taking an online IT support course and learning more about Windows PowerShell included with Windows 10, which I believe is version 5.0.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dEhiN83, Jan 31, 2021.

1. dEhiN83 Win User

Windows PowerShell 5 or 7?

Hi all, I'm taking an online IT support course and learning more about Windows PowerShell included with Windows 10, which I believe is version 5.0. I've never used PS before this course, although I'm fairly comfortable with Command Prompt in Windows as well as Bash in Linux. By comfortable, I would say high intermediate or low advanced in Command Prompt, and low intermediate in Bash. Anyway, I know that there is a new version of PS called PowerShell 7 that is cross-platform that I could install from Microsoft's GitHub page. The page mentions that PS 7 can run side-by-side with PS 5 and is meant for enterprises and hybrid environments.

So, should I bother installing PS 7? I would call myself an advanced computer user, although with Windows this really only applies to the various GUI ways of changing Windows settings, etc. This would normally motivate me to install the latest version of something like PS, but since I'm just beginning in learning PS cmdlets, etc., would it be better to stick with PS 5 until I actually need to use PS 7? Thanks in advance.

PS. If the correct topic for my post isn't "Performance & system failures", please move my post. I wasn't sure if this or "Windows settings" or another topic would be best.

:)

dEhiN83, Jan 31, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

PowerShell 7.1.0 preview 5 is released

Changes since preview 4

Download location, Release v7.1.0-preview.5 Release of PowerShell . PowerShell/PowerShell . GitHub

Brink, Jan 31, 2021
  3. Kursah Win User
    PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

Interestingly enough my personal laptop just got the update...and still has Command Prompt listed, not PowerShell...

Edit: Not that it matters...I use both regularly. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jan 31, 2021
  4. hellrazor Win User

Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows PowerShell 5 or 7? - Similar Threads - PowerShell

2. Windows Update Problem / Errors with Powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Problem / Errors with Powershell: I was trying to fix the downloader with code someone posted on another QnA and it did this and now I'm worried my pc completely broken. Any help would be a life saver!...
  3. Windows Update Problem / Errors with Powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update Problem / Errors with Powershell: I was trying to fix the downloader with code someone posted on another QnA and it did this and now I'm worried my pc completely broken. Any help would be a life saver!...
  4. Powershell log full of many information event

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell log full of many information event: Why i have all this powershell eventEngine state is changed from Available to Stopped. Details: NewEngineState=Stopped PreviousEngineState=Available SequenceNumber=300 HostName=ConsoleHost HostVersion=5.1.22621.2506 HostId=a77d0d8b-727b-486e-92a8-a500461bc7bd...
  5. Powershell log full of many information event

Powershell log full of many information event: Why i have all this powershell eventEngine state is changed from Available to Stopped. Details: NewEngineState=Stopped PreviousEngineState=Available SequenceNumber=300 HostName=ConsoleHost HostVersion=5.1.22621.2506 HostId=a77d0d8b-727b-486e-92a8-a500461bc7bd...
  6. PowerShell Errors upon Opening

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    PowerShell Errors upon Opening: I am trying to use the windows PowerShell but am having errors before putting anything in the prompt. I have uninstalled the software by unchecking the windows options features & restarting, to no avail. What can I do to fix this?...
  7. PowerShell Errors upon Opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PowerShell Errors upon Opening: I am trying to use the windows PowerShell but am having errors before putting anything in the prompt. I have uninstalled the software by unchecking the windows options features & restarting, to no avail. What can I do to fix this?...
  8. PowerShell Errors upon Opening

9. Trouble with WSL powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with WSL powershell: Whenever i enter: dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all/norestart it gives me: cmdlet enalbe-WindowsOptionalFeature at commands pipeline position 1 supply values for the following parameters: FeatureName[0]...
  10. Trouble with WSL powershell

Trouble with WSL powershell: Whenever i enter: dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all/norestart it gives me: cmdlet enalbe-WindowsOptionalFeature at commands pipeline position 1 supply values for the following parameters: FeatureName[0]...