Windows 10: Windows problem reporting causing black screen flickers?

Discus and support Windows problem reporting causing black screen flickers? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; A couple days ago I started getting black screen flickers that wouldn't stop until I restarted my pc and would come back a couple hours later causing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/WetDogChecksOut, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Windows problem reporting causing black screen flickers?

A couple days ago I started getting black screen flickers that wouldn't stop until I restarted my pc and would come back a couple hours later causing me to have to restart the pc again to fix it and having to continue that process. I thought it was my graphics drivers at first because it would happen over and over while browsing web pages or discord but not on the normal desktop screen, but my drivers are up to date. But today I noticed after the screen comes back I look in the task manager to see "Windows problem reporting with around 30-40% cpu usage for a couple of seconds and then it would go away. I tried to go into the "Run" command and do services.msc to disable it from there but the "stop" option for it is greyed out and doesn't let me disable it. It seems as of now only restarting the pc fixes it until it comes back a couple hours later. What can I do to fix this? Any help is appreciated.

submitted by /u/WetDogChecksOut
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/WetDogChecksOut, Sep 28, 2020
  2. SUI
    Sui Win User

Screen starts to flicker after logging in for a while

Hello

This is an entirely new issue. My screen starts to flicker after logging in/turning on computer for a while, and/or if I launch an app that uses my Nvidia card (my laptop has Optimus), I'm not exactly sure which of these two causes it. For the first while after a restart, the screen appears fine. The flickering appears on desktop background + internet browser as well, so I'm pretty sure it's not a program compatibility issue. The flickering is not severe (the type that looks like horizontal bars sliding up) but it's an annoyance.

Tried:

• Disabling Windows error reporting + problem reporting service in msconfig
    • Restart computer
    • Resetting Nvidia global settings to default in Nvidia control panel
    • Checking for display drive updates in device manager (all up to date)
    • Checking monitor refresh rate (60Hz, can't be changed)

Laptop I'm using:

• i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz
    • 1900x1080
    • Intel HD 4600 + Nvidia GT750M

Thanks for suggestions.

3. Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Sep 28, 2020
  4. AlanR246 Win User

Windows problem reporting causing black screen flickers?

Screen flicker and hangup on desktop screen

The short term fix for me was to roll back to Windows 7. I did not have the time to work through the issues but will try again in a week or so. I had a call in to the Microsoft Answer Desk and got a call back after I rolled back. Pasted below are the suggestions
    to attempt find the problem. In my case, I suspect Norton was the culprit since that was the common product on both my desktops and I was not seeing a flicker in Task Manager window.

From the Microsoft Answer Desk:

Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn't open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:
    The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues - if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.
    Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

AlanR246, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows problem reporting causing black screen flickers?

1. Windows problem reporting causing black screen flickers? - Similar Threads - problem reporting causing

2. Screen Flickering Black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Flickering Black: My screen has been flickering black for about a second several times a day for a few weeks now. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver, and tried Ctrl + Shift + Windows + B. I also have checked for any necessary updates in both the "Check For Updates" Windows...
  3. Screen Flickering Black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Flickering Black: My screen has been flickering black for about a second several times a day for a few weeks now. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver, and tried Ctrl + Shift + Windows + B. I also have checked for any necessary updates in both the "Check For Updates" Windows...
  4. Black/flickering screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black/flickering screen: When I start up my computer it shows a black screen after I login. I tried to use safe mode and it shows a flickering screen and I can’t click on any apps while task manager is fine. It all started around the windows 11 upgrade....
  5. Black/flickering screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black/flickering screen: When I start up my computer it shows a black screen after I login. I tried to use safe mode and it shows a flickering screen and I can’t click on any apps while task manager is fine. It all started around the windows 11 upgrade....
  6. Screen goes black and flickers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black and flickers: Hi, for the past year I've been having problems with my screen. Sometimes the screen will go black with weird coloured lines for a few seconds, then the screen goes to normal and flickers. Now I've notices that it isn't always the whole screen that flickers. Sometimes its...
  7. black flickering screens in windows 7 to 10 problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    black flickering screens in windows 7 to 10 problems: millions of people complaining about flickering or black screens on windows and pci express display cards. There is nothing wrong with windows or the display cards or the cables it is the bad quality monitors they selling us that can not handle the upgrades . When buying...
  8. Black screen and flickering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen and flickering: Ever since installing a recent windows update I’ve been having this issue, I’ve tried uninstalling the update and updating to an even newer version, same with my drivers, the issue also causes 100% gpu usage, I’ve tried many fixes with nothing working....
  9. what causes screen flicker?

in Windows 10 Customization
    what causes screen flicker?: what causes screen flicker? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/what-causes-screen-flicker/8a14c746-99dd-4b49-b453-e2baeff30b4b
  10. Windows 10 pro Black flickering screen problem!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 pro Black flickering screen problem!: Emachine windows 7 upgraded from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 pro. Had black flicker screen problem with the windows 10 pro previously. And had other issues as well with signing in to my microsoft games on my pc. So to fix the micrsoft pc games problem I removed everything from...