Windows 10: Windows Product ID change after Motherboard change, no longer activated

Discus and support Windows Product ID change after Motherboard change, no longer activated in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Purchased a used computer with Windows 7 roughly 2 years ago, and used the free upgrade at the time to change to windows 10. My ex gave me a product... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Scrowe-101, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Windows Product ID change after Motherboard change, no longer activated

Purchased a used computer with Windows 7 roughly 2 years ago, and used the free upgrade at the time to change to windows 10.

My ex gave me a product ID, and a product Key that was displayed after the upgrade.

Today I did some hardware changes, and got a new motherboard. The shop said I only needed to re-enter the product key and everything would be re-activated.

For whatever reason, the product ID is now different on the computer, and it's saying my key is no longer working.

I have NO IDEA what is going on or how to fix this. Can someone please help. The harddrive is the same, my computer is working right now, everything works so I'm also wondering if I'm on a countdown until windows shuts down???

:)

Scrowe-101, Apr 27, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

Changing motherboard and Windows

assuming you have the same SATA controller (and set to the same mode, EG IDE/AHCI/RAID) it will just install your other drivers, ask to reboot and then likely ask you to activate.

To be honest, its best to reinstall windows when you change hardware like that.

Mussels, Apr 27, 2019
  3. IuliVL Win User
    Changed my motherboard. I can't activate windows.

I've changed my motherboard. When i try to activate the Windows with the product ID, it gives me the 0xc004c003 error. I click the troubleshoot but it says that windows can't be activated.

IuliVL, Apr 27, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows Product ID change after Motherboard change, no longer activated

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

Windows Product ID change after Motherboard change, no longer activated

1. Windows Product ID change after Motherboard change, no longer activated - Similar Threads - Product change Motherboard

2. Windows not activated after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not activated after motherboard change: i recently broke my motherboard cpu socket pins so i had to change the motherboard without notice. My windows activation was through a digital license attached to the motherboard and not my microsoft account. How do i get windows activated now?...
  3. Windows activation after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation after motherboard change: Hello all, I replaced my motherboard and CPU however I'm using the same hard drives with my original windows install. I am getting the message that my windows need to be activated again. any way to fix. I am unable to go to my old motherboard. I'm running Windows 10 pro....
  4. Activation after a motherboard change

Activation after a motherboard change: I had to change my motherboard do to some problems with it. Now i have to reactivate the license for Windows 10 pro but i tried everything the Get Help bot says, from re-entering the product key again to getting some troubleshoot help. The troubleshoot says the servers are...
  5. activation of windows after motherboard change

activation of windows after motherboard change: Hello, recently I have changed my motherboard, and I am unable to activate windows again. I tried to troubleshoot but after I pick the device to activate windows on, it just says: "We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later". Any idea what can i do?...
  6. windows activation after motherboard change

windows activation after motherboard change: i changed my motherboard and im trying to activate my windows but i get the message ''We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.'' that message i get after i ve tried to activate my windows through my Microsoft count that i have linked in my pc i run...
  7. Activation After changing motherboard

Activation After changing motherboard: Hi So I just changed motherboards and my license isn't activating. I have tried using my microsoft account to sign in and activate the license with no luck. Please let me know if there is a way I can reset the license as its rather annoying that I got the license and...
  8. Changed motherboard and windows 10 is no longer activated

Changed motherboard and windows 10 is no longer activated: So I decided to get an upgrade on my pc so I got a new motherboard, CPU, and power supply. Now my windows 10 is not activated. I tried troubleshooting and tried to get it re-activated but Microsoft said I cant....
  9. Activation after motherboard change.

Activation after motherboard change.: I have three computers running Windows 10 in the house. I have just replaced the motherboard in my desktop and now it says it needs activation. I have not replaced the hard disks so it is exactly the same version of windows 10 that has run fine since doing a free upgrade from...
  10. Windows 10 no longer Active after changing Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 no longer Active after changing Motherboard: Hi, Changed my motherboard, now my w10 is no longer active. I had a retail version which is no longer in my possession of w7. I've read before that I would need to roll back to w7 then reupdate to w10, but I don't see that option. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 no longer activated after motherboard change