Windows 10: Windows Product key on a New computer.

Discus and support Windows Product key on a New computer. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I was going to build a new computer, meaning that I would need another copy of windows 10 home. I purchased a CD installation of windows 10 home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Raymond_8879, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Windows Product key on a New computer.

Hi, I was going to build a new computer, meaning that I would need another copy of windows 10 home. I purchased a CD installation of windows 10 home and a product key, I was wondering if I would be able to use that product key and CD installation from 2016 to use for my current pc, and would it be a licensed product key?

Thanks!

:)

Raymond_8879, Jul 29, 2020

2. Convert a Windows 8pro product key to a Windows 10pro produkt key

Hi Andre,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to Uninstall the license using the following steps.

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    • At the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs -upk
    • Press Enter, this will uninstall the product key from the computer.
    Further on, install Windows 8.1 activate the copy with the product key on the new machine. Then again upgrade the same to Windows 10 using Window Update or Media Creation Tool.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 29, 2020
  3. L Burgo Win User
    New DELL laptop- Windows Product Key

Hi and thanks DaveM121 for the prompt reply.

I followed the instructions supplied by the DELL email but in the end Windows would not automatically activate. I just found an answer by following this below google result instructions:

Find Windows 10 Product Key on a New Computer

1. Press Windows key + X.
    2. Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    3. At the command prompt, type: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey. This will reveal the product key. Volume License Product Key Activation.

I copied the key and entered it into the option to change product key (not that one was entered as it said it was inactive in red text). FWIW, I never got a product key in any form suggested by the problem solving suggestions
    wormhole link I found in Settings. Apologies if this is a basic newbie issue. It has been doing my head in for the last couple of hours.

Anyway, greatly appreciate your time. Thanks again DaveM121.

L Burgo, Jul 29, 2020
  4. J. Raúl Win User

Windows Product key on a New computer.

Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

You cannot use OEM key to activate other devices. But I have seen cases where in it will activate.

You will have to follow below steps to activate on new device:

Open cmd as admin (on new computer)

Slmgr -upk (enter)

Slmgr -cpky

Slmgr -rilc

Slmgr -ipk XXXXX-XXXX-..... (your pk key)

Slmgr -ato

This should activate on new device. Before purchasing a key I'll suggest you try above steps because I have done in the past and it had worked.

J. Raúl, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows Product key on a New computer.

1. Windows Product key on a New computer. - Similar Threads - Product key computer

2. "active window" with a new product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "active window" with a new product key: My sony laptop was Automatically updetaed from Window 8 top 8.1, After that, computer alway ask "active window" with a new product key. Where and how can I get the key? thank you!...
  3. No product key on new staples computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No product key on new staples computer: Hi there! I just recieved a new computer from staples that is supposed to come with a windows 10 product key sticker on the computer, but there isn't one! I'm trying to contact staples but was wondering if there's anyway to fix it directly with microsoft. Thanks!...
  4. New computer and transferring product keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New computer and transferring product keys: [ATTACH] (English is not my main language, sorry for any mistakes) Hi everyone! I have a few questions about Product Keys and licensing on Windows. I'm looking to buy a new laptop that comes with a linux distro instead of windows, I don't actually use linux so I'm going...
  5. Transferring product keys to new computers

Transferring product keys to new computers: I have a windows 7 key from a laptop and a windows 10 key from a refurbished desktop. I was wondering if I could transfer the keys to two new desktops and would I be able to activate windows 10 with them? If it is possible how would I do so? Thank You [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. Windows Product Key on a new computer

Windows Product Key on a new computer: Hi. I bought my kids laptop computers recently. One is a Surface and one is a Lenovo. If I am not mistaken, there is no Windows 10 DVD that ships with the laptop. So, if, years from now, my kids need to reinstall the OS, they will need a Windows 10 product key, right?...
  7. Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer: Hi, I'm currently building a gaming desktop, and I don't want to have to buy a new Windows 10 product key as they are quite expensive. I'm wondering if I can transfer the key from my current laptop. I've used a software called ProduKey which found the key from my computer for...
  8. Windows 10 activation with a valid product key on a new computer

Windows 10 activation with a valid product key on a new computer: Hi, My last computer broke, so I got a new one and tried to move the windows license on it. I deactivated it from the old one and with "slmgr -ipk" in CMD I added it to the new computer. But if I run the next command "slmgr /dli" the next message is displayed: [ATTACH]...
  9. new product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    new product key: from 2nd april 2019 a pop-up message is shown in my aspire 315-51_z( windows 10 pro) that was manufactured on july 2018 which says that "your licence will expire on 2nd may 2019".by encoding the message i came to know that i have to get a new product key from my system...
  10. product key on my new computer with windows 10 pro?

product key on my new computer with windows 10 pro?: how do I find the product key on my new computer with windows 10 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-on-my-new-computer-with-windows-10-pro/64b5eb08-3d70-44aa-9c55-71eb20180b4a"